Sponsored

In other news...GT350 Mustang spotted again in CA

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/future-cars/2016-ford-mustang-svt-spied

No amount of ratchet-strap-secured camo can prevent us from deducing the obvious from that big ol' power bulge in the hood of this prototype: It's a 2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350, spotted in Santa Monica, of all places.

Ford is doing its best to hide the goods—check out the covers that keep the wheels and brake hardware out of view—but our quick-thinking spy noticed the gauges weren't camouflaged. What we see could mean that the SVT has an increased redline: 6500 rpm, with an over-rev function allowing 7000 rpm briefly—just like the current GT500, which will give you 8 seconds of over-rev. Whatever the redline, look for the SVT to be a beast, especially on the track.

Other clues abound. Just behind the rear wheels, some mesh in the camo indicates some big extractor vents on the fenders—likewise on the hood. Out back, there's the familiar quad-tipped exhaust and what looks to be a functional rear diffuser. Incidentally, it's wearing Michelin Pilot Super Sports and has a proper six-speed manual transmission. Which makes us wonder why they were bothering with Santa Monica at all, since there are perfectly good canyon roads not too far away.

And then there's the sound: raw and throaty. It's going to be good.

[ame]
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Hi 5!

Back to the throaty roar of the quad pipe version. Sooooooooooooo, if FPC is true (and the black prototype with the blanked off quads would lead us to believe it might be true)........what do we think is under the hood of this one?

Could SVT be testing both FPC AND CPC versions of the 5.2? Based on sound alone, I'd have to go with this car, but just how much more power would a 5.2 CPC produce over a 5.0 Coyote?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Could SVT be testing both FPC AND CPC versions of the 5.2?

Until I see/hear something concrete, my engine speculations will remain based on a 5.0 or 5.8. Since Ford has no 5.2(ignoring all rumors for a second) I'm going to suspect Ford is working on something they've already had in the Mustang.

stable68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport
Funny how they come to the conclusion about the over-rev feature based on the guages... Its the same guage as the normal GT and there isnt any over-rev features on that.

Sponsored

BOSS 1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB BOSS 302
I grow weary of guesses and camouflage. It's near 80 out and sunny. Time to enjoy what we have. Taking my BOSS out for a ride.

Backorder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan...:-(
In the first picture, below the mesh on the front below the headlight on the driver side...I can make out lines on a possible front splitter...I know it could be more camo, and I'm just looking at my phone so I can't circle it but it looks like it could be carbon fibre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
293? That's a new width I've never heard of. :p

86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Until I see/hear something concrete, my engine speculations will remain based on a 5.0 or 5.8. Since Ford has no 5.2(ignoring all rumors for a second) I'm going to suspect Ford is working on something they've already had in the Mustang.
Ford didn't have a 5.8 either until they built it off the 5.4

A 5.2 would just be a bored coyote block, probably with PTWA instead of cylinder liners.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

I don't know what your image means, but in case your powers of observation were a little off this was the image I was referring to.

Which was posted directly above my post and shows different wheels than what we've seen before, an example of which I put in my post.
Sponsored