Imrc lock out question

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
When you upgrade the 15 manifold to the 18 manifold do you need to lock out the imrc what is the benifit?
Sponsored

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
The imrc closes under low load like crushing around town to give a little bump to low end torque. With imrcs not locked you might feel a small hesitation as you floor the car as they switch from closed to open.

Tuners prefer the lock out as it's easier to tune. Locking them out also prevents an issue down the road when it fails or gets gunked up and fails which will throw a code and give driveability issues.

I'm pretty certain you need a tune to go to an 18 mani with or without imrc lockouts.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
The imrc closes under low load like crushing around town to give a little bump to low end torque. With imrcs not locked you might feel a small hesitation as you floor the car as they switch from closed to open.

Tuners prefer the lock out as it's easier to tune. Locking them out also prevents an issue down the road when it fails or gets gunked up and fails which will throw a code and give driveability issues.

I'm pretty certain you need a tune to go to an 18 mani with or without imrc lockouts.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Doing maintance on the car and cleaning and insoecting that stuff every so often would orevent and prolong life though wouldnt it

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Doing maintance on the car and cleaning and insoecting that stuff every so often would orevent and prolong life though wouldnt it
As for odds of problems, if its stock parts in 18+ does that mean Ford designed things to not malfunction inside the 6/60 power-train warranty?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's easier and cleaner to lock out than wire up plumb the IMRCs (plus they seem to still have tune issues). The torque loss down low is completely unnoticed unless you're in 6th gear at low rpm (under 2000). Otherwise it drives like stock, but pulls way harder at the top end.

Sponsored

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Just lock them out. Saves both you and your tuner issues when you get codes from the mostly faulty imrc wiring harness adapters that are ou there on the market. When i did my 18 manifold i tried to keep the imrc active but ended up getting codes even though i had everything hooked up correctly per the lund and vmp instructions. Had to do the tuning process twice because of this. Also if you decide to go boosted down the road it is recommended to lock them out.

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
@BrianGT2015

How do you clean that shit out of a plastic intake? I know the old metal ones you can burn it out but do you know a way without just scraping?
Sponsored