Sponsored

Illuminated Glove Box on 2021 MY

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
The glove box needs a light. I am sure one will come up with a mod for it.
Sponsored

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Yeah, they have a few fans out there.

An Original Equipment tire is a custom-made product developed for a specific car model, to ensure the perfect tire for every customer.
ALFA ROMEO
ASTON MARTIN
AUDI
BMW
BENTLEY
DALLARA
FERRARI
JAGUAR
LAMBORGHINI
LAND ROVER
MASERATI
MC LAREN
MERCEDES
PORSCHE
VOLVO
Not wishing to perpetuate serious thread drift but you are correct. Pirelli have a lot of different 'p zero' branded tyres. The P Zero Corsa's on my Evora (Lotus specific) are extremely grippy (although short lived). I wouldn't make any assumptions about P Zero spec from 4 or 5 years ago and today.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I am not sure why are you surprised. Anyone buying a new car later in its lifecycle gets a cost reduced one. They take out what they can get away with not including.
Every corporation works this way.

(on a flipside - buying first year - you set yourself up for early issues).
Really ? Spec usually improves later in a model life to try to keep people buying. Run out models especially so.

OP
OP
Pronichkin

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1
how tf the discussion about a glove box turned into a discussion about tires?

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
how tf the discussion about a glove box turned into a discussion about tires?
Come on, it isn't that far off topic. It was brought up in relation to things that have changed in later model years. Tires are one of those changes. Now they come with crappy tires and no glove box light.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Really ? Spec usually improves later in a model life to try to keep people buying. Run out models especially so.
Really, really - why do you think they would take out the lighting ? Or install the seat with less adjustment ? It may be cents of savings but with a large volume production, it adds up.

I've been living this life for 20+ years now at aircraft engine maker - cost reduction starts before engine even hits the service or is certified - and this significantly more advanced product with way more regulatory oversight than a car. I can absolutely guarantee that Ford has an entire department (or multiple times aligned with products) that their only job is find ways to reduce cost of the vehicles - that includes finding cheaper suppliers, way to manufacture things cheaper or just de-feature the product (which is easiest but there is only as much they can get away with).

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Really, really - why do you think they would take out the lighting ? Or install the seat with less adjustment ? It may be cents of savings but with a large volume production, it adds up.

I've been living this life for 20+ years now at aircraft engine maker - cost reduction starts before engine even hits the service or is certified - and this significantly more advanced product with way more regulatory oversight than a car. I can absolutely guarantee that Ford has an entire department (or multiple times aligned with products) that their only job is find ways to reduce cost of the vehicles - that includes finding cheaper suppliers, way to manufacture things cheaper or just de-feature the product (which is easiest but there is only as much they can get away with).
Not in Europe - Ford cars over here gradually increase spec over the model life. Plus new features added.

Cost control yes, but feature delete, no

I've not experienced a UK spec 2021 car but our seats have not lost adjustment , not sure about the glovebox light. UK spec doesn't match anything in the US anyway.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Not in Europe - Ford cars over here gradually increase spec over the model life. Plus new features added.
I can absolutely guarantee they have been cost reduced one way or the other. It is absolutely obvious for anyone that worked for a corporation. It may not be by taking features out as they couldn't figure out what they can get away with, but they were cost reduced. Cheaper supplier with "same" quality, things like that. _Every_ company does it, with very very little exceptions. Certainly Ford in Europe does.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Pronichkin

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1
They sure do it, but maybe less aggressively. Perhaps because they face more competition in Europe (all those German performance makers) than in the US where pretty much the only competitor in the same class is Camaro, and it is already about to throw the white flag and leave the market.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Based on my 2020, we get more electronic seat adjustment (Recaro) than what the early euro (Recaro) cars got.

I think we lost the rear seat pocket though (Have the euro Recaro’s ever had that ?).

My starter button doesn’t ‘throb’.

I don’t ‘think’ the double horn was ever dropped on the euro’s ?

I ‘think’ euro GT’s (PP1) are still getting the MPSS4’s ?

WD :like:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I can absolutely guarantee they have been cost reduced one way or the other. It is absolutely obvious for anyone that worked for a corporation. It may not be by taking features out as they couldn't figure out what they can get away with, but they were cost reduced. Cheaper supplier with "same" quality, things like that. _Every_ company does it, with very very little exceptions. Certainly Ford in Europe does.
OK fine they cost reduce - but increase spec year on year over here - always have. Some of those new features are cheap to add, but sometimes they go along with a price rise to cover them. We do not see spec reductions in general.

We also have significant differences in type approval over here which is linked to WLTP and CO2 ratings. Every model has to be tested as does every option where it materially affects the emissions. This has meant a drastic reduction in options (because of the cost of testing), but better standard spec at each level. Doesn't apply to the US made Mustang much as this was always a limited UK spec, but for all other Ford models it does.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Cost control yes, but feature delete, no
Oh, yes, they do it in Europe as well.
The Mk4 Mondeo lost the cooled glove box in its later years. The Mk5 Mondeo lost the 4-way adjustable headrest (now it only goes up and down, you can't tilt it anymore). And those are just two examples I can give off the top of my head, but I'm sure I've seen complaints about others.

Edit: I've remembered another one. The IPC of the hybrid has lost some features. The system check menu has been removed. Now you can't see the remaining oil life, you can only reset it.

Last edited:
Reactions: kz

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Oh, yes, they do it in Europe as well.
The Mk4 Mondeo lost the cooled glove box in its later years. The Mk5 Mondeo lost the 4-way adjustable headrest (now it only goes up and down, you can't tilt it anymore). And those are just two examples I can give off the top of my head, but I'm sure I've seen complaints about others.

Edit: I've remembered another one. The IPC of the hybrid has lost some features. The system check menu has been removed. Now you can't see the remaining oil life, you can only reset it.
Headrests seems to be across the range (Not just Ford) on new released cars - I suspect to do with NCAP testing.

I'm not saying nothing gets dropped. We had a Focus with electrically adjustable pedals (pointless) which got dropped, but all cars have a refresh cycle of about 2.5 to 3 years in the UK because most people (90%) when buying new do so on finance (PCP or HP) and when they come to replace the car at 3 years they need to be enticed by added features.
Sponsored