RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
A situation has presented itself where this question has relevance in my life.

If you were given $100k to spend on a car which one would you get? Keep in mind $100k is the limit, you don’t have to actually spend all of it… I assume there’s going to be a Mustang bias but I grew up a Mopar guy and frankly I can’t ignore the obvious…
I don't know if a 100k will get you into a clean hemi cuda. As that is under 80k after buyer fees and taxes.
If it was me. I would get an 340 car As I would rather a car that looks tough and I can drive without fear of 1) harm 2) theft 3) snobs complaining that you are putting mileage on a hemi cuda.
Then I'd take the 340 and do what I would have back in the day for day one upgrades but with an eye at the older wiser me. Then take the 45-55 k I did not spend and pay down my mortgage or invest it after the market crash that is coming.
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I cited a couple of reasons in my post. Overall, I am very unimpressed with the basic construction techniques used. I am not saying my Fox body cars were much better, but I took those cars apart down to bare bones and I never ever worried about snapping a stud and I don't recall adhesive tape being used to seal a body panel manufacturing opening.

I also tore down a '67 Rustang and while no doubt these cars can go downhill, there is nothing that couldn't be cut out and replaced given the right equipment. Same goes for pretty much everything under the hood.
People rip apart S550s and re-build them all the time. They cut them up and put them back together. No different than Fox bodies or 1967s.

S550s are just machines that can be torn apart and rebuilt like any other.

OP
OP
TrackMustang

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I'd actually prefer another '21 Mach 1 with HP and Recaros. That way I'd have my current '21 M1 for my daily street driving and the second for tracking, with leftover money for tires and insurance!
Without starting what I think I’m starting… why a Mach1 instead of GT350

Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
A Turbo S looks better next to a mustang than a GTR.

44FDAA08-7209-40C4-AF2B-62E793901063.jpeg
Indeed. I do love 911. But i don't want something too old... either 991.2 or 992 turbo S or gt3. I had a 996 carrera S and i loved that car. My wife's plan is to inherit the gtr when i get another 911

This is mine:

IMG_4952.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Too tall. Even in the mustang I can barely fit with a helmet. I have a long torso. Getting in and out of the Vette was a challenge, even more so than in my C6.

OP
OP
TrackMustang

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Indeed. I do love 911. But i don't want something too old... either 991.2 or 992 turbo S or gt3. I had a 996 carrera S and i loved that car. My wife's plan is to inherit the gtr when i get another 911

This is mine:

IMG_4952.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG
How does this car compare to your S550?

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
How does this car compare to your S550?
Completely different animal. The transmission is instantaneous and the grip is endless... but the mustang feels wilder... louder and more aggressive... but definitely is not faster.

Gtr is stock for now. Only mid pipe/exhaust and some suspension mods... cars is still under factory warranty. Planning on doing some performance mods obviously... but $ per $, you get more whp for your money with the mustang than thr gtr

Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
People rip apart S550s and re-build them all the time. They cut them up and put them back together. No different than Fox bodies or 1967s.

S550s are just machines that can be torn apart and rebuilt like any other.
No argument there, they are machines. They are just made from thinner materials, with smaller bolts that are more prone to breaking, more specialty fasteners, more complex electronics, miles more wire, lots more plastic, and overall a much higher part count. All of these things help make the cars more fun/comfortable to drive, but will make them harder to maintain past the end of their design life.

One area that has improved dramatically are the paints and finishes. They are much more durable and have made our cars much more corrosion resistant than older cars.

Also, I never said that a Fox body was as maintainable as a '60's era car. Cars have become increasingly more complex and increasingly difficult to maintain (and the Fox body cars are somewhere on the spectrum between the S550 and the original Mustang). Go back even further you could just about completely disassemble a Model T with a 9/16 wrench and flat blade screwdriver (and yes, I have worked on them in the past). What kind of toolkit would you need to do the equivalent on an S550?

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
No argument there, they are machines. They are just made from thinner materials, with smaller bolts that are more prone to breaking, more specialty fasteners, more complex electronics, miles more wire, lots more plastic, and overall a much higher part count. All of these things help make the cars more fun/comfortable to drive, but will make them harder to maintain past the end of their design life.

One area that has improved dramatically are the paints and finishes. They are much more durable and have made our cars much more corrosion resistant than older cars.

Also, I never said that a Fox body was as maintainable as a '60's era car. Cars have become increasingly more complex and increasingly difficult to maintain (and the Fox body cars are somewhere on the spectrum between the S550 and the original Mustang). Go back even further you could just about completely disassemble a Model T with a 9/16 wrench and flat blade screwdriver (and yes, I have worked on them in the past). What kind of toolkit would you need to do the equivalent on an S550?
Are they more difficult to maintain than a Model T? Yes, but the same can be said for ALL vehicles.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
I would use it to see if I could get my hands on a M2CS or use it as a down payment on a 718 GTS

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I'd get the new Cayman GT4, or maybe see if I could squeeze in the new Z06.
Sponsored