Sponsored

If I don't get Active Exhaust will I regret it?

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
Don't want to choke the engine, do you?
Course not, but there are times when law enforcement is present and you need to step on the loud pedal. A while back there was a post here that someone got ticketed for a loud exhaust while in quiet mode.
Sponsored

rickdrews5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Prem / PP
Get it, well worth it and for me would not be the same car without it. That being said last four cars were from zee germanz, so ability to be so 'unrefined' on multiple levels is a total hoot for me....not to mention quiet mode in the morning / late at night in the hood. This option is one of a few key reasons I actually flew to get the car.

Zenben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Somewhat related. I have an '18 GT without the active exhaust. What I've been wondering is, what is the equivalent mode on the active system to the standard sound of a GT without active exhaust? I would think it's "wide open" all the time. Can anybody confirm? I don't live in a neighborhood with an HOA or anything. And my jerk neighbor with his 1963 corvette that he loves to startup and rev every Saturday morning at 7:30---that's why I DID NOT get active exhaust. Time to give some back to him!!!!

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I think it's totally worth it. Especially depending on where you live and at what times you use your car. I daily mine and in the winter with my 2015 w/ Solo Performance cat-back, the cold starts were really loud.

Normal mode has a great sound to it IMO though I still think I'll get an H-pipe at some point. As far as quiet mode, yeah, of course it opens up if you stomp on it so you're not preventing it from breathing properly, but it's not meant to be stomped on in quiet mode. That mode is for rolling around your neighborhood at 1500-2k rpm in the morning.

I paid probably 1100 for a cat-back and installation on the 2015 because the exhaust was pretty tame. On the 2018? No chance given the volume on just normal mode alone. Maybe an H-pipe at some point to improve the sound quality, but the volume is already there.

I think it depends a lot on when you take your car out and where you live. Weekend warrior/fun times car you're only taking out during the afternoon, I'd probably spend the money on a cat-back. Daily driver/small neighborhood/apartment complex/early mornings, the quiet mode (just for the starts alone) will make a big difference IMO.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Somewhat related. I have an '18 GT without the active exhaust. What I've been wondering is, what is the equivalent mode on the active system to the standard sound of a GT without active exhaust? I would think it's "wide open" all the time. Can anybody confirm? I don't live in a neighborhood with an HOA or anything. And my jerk neighbor with his 1963 corvette that he loves to startup and rev every Saturday morning at 7:30---that's why I DID NOT get active exhaust. Time to give some back to him!!!!
Non-Active Exhaust is the “normal” mode of the AE. Sport and Track are considerably louder.

Sponsored

Remander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
I haven't listened to them side by side, but the equivalent would likely be normal mode. Definitely not wide open. That's track mode, and it's really loud.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
If you are over 55 you won’t regret it...

Trust me on this...

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I like my cars obnoxious loud but even I love active. The active with an H or X is just perfection. I have my car start in quiet 24hrs a day now as well which makes a huge difference as well on cold starts. I have the H myself which improved cabin noise (can actually hear the car now) while keeping the deep tone outside, love it!

Also, I'm 30, no where near 55. This is not just an old person thing. The ability to neuter the exhaust as needed is priceless to me. Even with an H pipe, my car is practically silent on quiet mode.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase

I would guess "sport".

Honestly liked the sound of the factory non variable. I was going to go with just an H pipe but I had a Corsa Xtreme cat back off my traded 15 GT, I had it put on a few weeks ago and haven't looked back.

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Actually the active exhaust sounds better than 95% of the aftermarket exhausts I've heard on youtube. I know it's youtube...lol, but still.

Sponsored

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
I have had several cars that made varying amounts of noise, especially at start up when I'm in my garage and about to back out into the world. Now that I have a vehicle that is normally substantially louder than 99% of what is driving around my neighborhood everyday, I can't imagine not have active exhaust. Quiet mode programmed at normal "leaving for work" mornings, toggle to sport plus as soon as I'm away. As a car person (which I would assume we all are if we are posting here) all the things we do to our cars are, if you have a 9-5 gig and a family, about our performance lust compromised by the reality of daily life. The ability for me to go to my buttoned down career and pull out of the parking lot today, a Friday after a monsterous week, and flip to track mode and send the traffic scattering cannot be underestimated. The cost is nothing over the course of your payments and is a selling point later on. Do it.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
While the menu toggling is a PITA it is perhaps my most played with setting. Combine it with an H or X pipe and it can be Euro refined to down right egregious.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I would guess "sport”
The non-active system is roughly the same as the active systems normal mode, not even close to its sport. I’ve tested two out that didn’t have AE.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
If you drive your car in the winter in salt areas, it *may* be regretful. Lot of monkey motion in a hot, corrosive area.

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
What's funny is all the videos I've seen that demonstrate the different modes are hard to tell the difference because they always rev the sport and track modes higher than they seem to do on quiet or normal so thats why they sound louder. People can't seem to do a video and keep the rev's the same in each mode so you can truly hear the difference.
Sponsored