Grim_Reaper

'Merica
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylon
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special 10-spd
Welcome to the Build Log, where I embark on an exciting journey with my magnificent 2021 Mustang GT California Special! This iconic beauty, adorned in the timeless Iconic Silver hue, was lovingly handpicked during a memorable visit to South Carolina, setting the stage for my extraordinary ownership experience. Equipped with an automatic 10R80 transmission, my Mustang GT promises an exhilarating ride that demands to be felt.

As a proud owner of this remarkable steed, I am committed to enhancing its performance, style, and overall personality while preserving its inherent charm. The goal is simple – to make tasteful modifications that not only elevate its performance but also accentuate its captivating design.

Here, in this build log, I will document each step of the journey as I embark on the transformation of my Mustang GT. Expect to find detailed accounts of every modification, from awe-inspiring power upgrades to carefully curated aesthetic enhancements. This log is a space for like-minded enthusiasts to share ideas, experiences, and expertise while celebrating our love for this iconic pony car.

With a passion for the Mustang heritage coursing through my veins, I aim to strike the perfect balance between modern upgrades and timeless appeal. My vision for this build is rooted in respect for the Mustang's legacy, ensuring that each modification aligns seamlessly with its original spirit.

So buckle up and join me as I push the boundaries of automotive excellence, cherishing every moment of my Mustang6G Owner Build Log. Together, we'll forge a journey filled with thrilling modifications and lasting memories, all while appreciating the untamed spirit of my beloved 2021 Mustang GT California Special. Let the transformation begin!

Build Bookmarks - Click These to Jump to Official Progress Updates!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grim_Reaper

Grim_Reaper

'Merica
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylon
Vehicle(s)
Let's kick things off with photos from the day I bought it! The purchase was very spur of the moment due to the radio going out in my 2020 Ford Ranger after our trip up from Florida to South Carolina. I jokingly said to my wife that it was time to get rid of it...and here we are haha. New to me 21 Mustang GT/CS with only 3800 miles! Price was right and deal made too much sense haha.

71224838062__D95B7E99-9C67-44D2-88DF-8459FF6B5AAE.jpeg

71224841709__07FC000E-CDD3-41AA-BFE6-AEC4CF08AC00.jpeg

IMG_4445.jpeg

IMG_4427.jpeg

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I really appreciate your commitment to a theatrical introduction. May I say It is beyond reproach and your written creativity is admirable. Now stop trying to paint a verbal Mona Lisa and get to freaki’n work and stop talking about it. :cwl: ( I think I’m starting to sound like my father!)

OP
OP
Grim_Reaper

Grim_Reaper

'Merica
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylon
Vehicle(s)
I really appreciate your commitment to a theatrical introduction. May I say It is beyond reproach and your written creativity is admirable. Now stop trying to paint a verbal Mona Lisa and get to freaki’n work and stop talking about it. :cwl:
I have ChatGPT to thank for the theatrical intro haha. Trying to have a bit of fun with this build.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have ChatGPT to thank for the theatrical intro haha. Trying to have a bit of fun with this build.
Funny stuff. Enjoy it. But I’m sure you already do. :like:
BTW, you have only me to thank for my snarky yet encouraging positive post. No chat GPT needed….Have fun on your build!

Sponsored

GTstang20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I would start off with the Ford GT 350 CAI and throttle body performance package, it’s going to give you +19Hp, the tune that comes with it rocks! The shifting improvement with the 10 speed automatic is night and day. I think I paid $1,300. Then you gotta go with an exhaust and find one that you like the sound of, After that I would then lower It.

OP
OP
Grim_Reaper

Grim_Reaper

'Merica
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylon
Vehicle(s)
I would start off with the Ford GT 350 CAI and throttle body performance package, it’s going to give you +19Hp, the tune that comes with it rocks! The shifting improvement with the 10 speed automatic is night and day. I think I paid $1,300. Then you gotta go with an exhaust and find one that you like the sound of, After that I would then lower It.
$1300 seems pretty steep for such a small return in power to be honest. Shops have tested drop in filters before and after on a dyno and picked up 10+ hp just from that.

As for exhaust, it’s already got the active exhaust so I’m super happy with that 😀. I might go ahead and do headers and tune anyways to liven up the exhaust note more and add some power that would only help later down the road when I go FI.

Last edited:

Obsidian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 White
The California special is my favorite interior. Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$1300 seems pretty steep for such a small return in power to be honest. Shops have tested drop in filters before and after on a dump and picked up 10+ hp just from that.

As for exhaust, it’s already got the active exhaust so I’m super happy with that 😀. I might go ahead and do headers and tune anyways to liven up the exhaust note more and add some power that would only help later down the road when I go FI.
I did the Power pack 2 on my 2016 and loved it.

GTstang20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Yeah, it’s a bit steep for a little return but it’s a noticeable jump and the tune also adjusted the shifting as well and that was worth it alone. It shifts like butter now when you use the paddle shifters and on the downshifting no more jerking.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Grim_Reaper

Grim_Reaper

'Merica
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylon
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, it’s a bit steep for a little return but it’s a noticeable jump and the tune also adjusted the shifting as well and that was worth it alone. It shifts like butter now when you use the paddle shifters and on the downshifting no more jerking.
Haha okay so it's not just me who thinks the shifting is a little rough. Good to know! I am really torn because on my last build, linked in signature, I went full bolt-ons and tuned. After that I owned several fast turbo cars and really love the feeling of boost haha. Instead of spending equal amounts of money on NA build, I really want to just save for the ESS G3X kit with G4 intercooler, FIC 1000 injectors, and BAP.

OP
OP
Grim_Reaper

Grim_Reaper

'Merica
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylon
Vehicle(s)
Last week we began the long trip home from South Carolina to the Florida Panhandle in our new Mustang. Honestly, it's a pretty boring trip that consists of basically two highways haha. Didn't really have a chance to snap any photos, and surprisingly, didn't have anyone try to race us.

As soon as we got home though I headed back out to start snapping some better photos with my camera. Enjoy!

P1110127-2.jpg

P1110147-2.jpg

P1110149-2.jpg

P1110152-2.jpg

P1110153-2.jpg

P1110157-2.jpg

P1110159-2.jpg

OP
OP
Grim_Reaper

Grim_Reaper

'Merica
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylon
Vehicle(s)
First "performance mod" to be done, basically because I pass Autozone daily, is a K&N Drop-in Intake Filter (Oiled). It was a cheap modification to make and has proven to add a small amount of power and increase throttle response.

363369001_972759897367764_332707670344884506_n.jpg

I plan on going Forced Induction eventually so you won't be seeing too many performance mods between now and then. I do have an appointment for window tint lined up soon, can't wait to get out of the fish bowl, and will hopefully be getting some lowering springs soon as well. Stay tuned for updates and thanks for stopping by!

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
Last week we began the long trip home from South Carolina to the Florida Panhandle in our new Mustang. Honestly, it's a pretty boring trip that consists of basically two highways haha. Didn't really have a chance to snap any photos, and surprisingly, didn't have anyone try to race us.

As soon as we got home though I headed back out to start snapping some better photos with my camera. Enjoy!

P1110127-2.jpg

P1110147-2.jpg

P1110149-2.jpg

P1110152-2.jpg

P1110153-2.jpg

P1110157-2.jpg

P1110159-2.jpg
Absolutely love the silver color, but the GT/CS stripe mid-door like that just doesn't work. I'd remove it and if you need the stripe, put it low like the later GT/CS have done. I also drive a 23 GT/CS (in DMG, so you really don't see the stripe - it shoulda probably been red) and regard them as the top of the GT model line.

Other exterior appearance mods that I've done include Form smoked taillights and headlights, with Flow Designs rear diffuser, spats and wings. Ceramic and front end PPF are also nice for the finish. Rock On with your project!

BTW, relocating the stripe may qualify as a performance upgrade but I'm not sure if it's the lower stripe or the DMG color that make a faster S550.......

OP
OP
Grim_Reaper

Grim_Reaper

'Merica
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylon
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely love the silver color, but the GT/CS stripe mid-door like that just doesn't work. I'd remove it and if you need the stripe, put it low like the later GT/CS have done. I also drive a 23 GT/CS (in DMG, so you really don't see the stripe - it shoulda probably been red) and regard them as the top of the GT model line.

Other exterior appearance mods that I've done include Form smoked taillights and headlights, with Flow Designs rear diffuser, spats and wings. Ceramic and front end PPF are also nice for the finish. Rock On with your project!

BTW, relocating the stripe may qualify as a performance upgrade but I'm not sure if it's the lower stripe or the DMG color that make a faster S550.......
I’m honestly torn about the side stripe as well and initial reaction was to remove it. If I do remove it, I was thinking about doing dual racing stripes down the middle. Thoughts?

Thanks for sharing mods as well! I’ll have to check those out!
Sponsored