I went ALL IN on C-Pillar rattle

Jason555

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have a similar noise that developed on my 2020 GT A10 PP1 car. 5,800 miles. Same rear passenger side noise.

Funny thing, what made me also want to go all in was that I had recently went to a technology conference for work out in San Francisco and rented a Hertz 2022 Shelby GT-H on a extra day I had stayed to drive across the Golden Gate and out thru the hills overlooking the ocean. To my suprise, the GT-H had the same noise intermittently coming from the same rear passage side at 700miles. So I thought this has to be a repeatable defect to fix.

Now I have taken out all of the trim panels and trunk carpet insulation on the passenger side and tried to isolate it. I can recreate it easily with the car in 2nd gear at low speeds in paddle shifter mode when quickly accelerating or letting off. Also uneven roads or roads with a large crown in the middle. Essentially, any surface or force that allows the rear to flex some recreates it. Knocking or trying to bend the metal panels doesn't let me isolate it. I really want to fix it myself before resorting to taking the car back to the mercy of the dealership.
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I can recreate it easily with the car in 2nd gear at low speeds in paddle shifter mode when quickly accelerating or letting off. Also uneven roads or roads with a large crown in the middle. Essentially, any surface or force that allows the rear to flex some recreates it. Knocking or trying to bend the metal panels doesn't let me isolate it.
Exactly!
I removed everything from the trunk and tried to reproduce it by pulling on the metal parts, but couldn't. Even though the smallest amount of body flex while driving causes this noise, no amount of pulling, pushing or rocking the car while stationary can reproduce it.
I'm beginning to suspect that it isn't coming from inside the trunk after all. It could be coming from under the car, specifically from the exhaust. It seems to me that body flex alone won't cause it. It's body flex plus engine running. Besides, I don't seem to hear it when the engine is cold. It seems to start only after the engine has warmed up.
The fact that I can only hear it with the engine running makes me think that it isn't coming from anywhere inside the car. It must be coming from the outside.

Last edited:

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
Reading this thread with interest as my '22 has an annoying plastic sound rattle seemingly coming from the passenger side C pillar. Assuming it's the air bag plastic ":wire" as mentioned. Need to pull the pillar and look.

Many years ago, my new 2003 Cobra had a really annoying squeak each time the car just started to roll from a stop. I had half the interior out and a friend found the noise where all the sheet metal came together behind the back seat....the vertical parts. We would that if we wedged a screwdriver between two of the welded together pieces...the noise stopped. While in the trunk, my friend drove a penny between these panels...noise gone...

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Ecoboost "Maggie"
So unfortunately that last attempt didn’t solve the issue. The noise is still there and I don’t know what else to do lol.

I just found this video that best replicates the sound I am hearing in my car. I’m gonna put it on the jackstand and see if the noise is coming from the same sourse.
That dreaded noise!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
I finally was able to fix mine, and it wasn't something I would of ever thought of. I removed the rear passenger side wheel and there are little clips that you can twist to tighten and loosen. They hold the carpet wheel liner in place. The clips on mine were loose. I hit it a few times with my first to see if I could produce the sound and some rock pebbles fell out. I tightened the fastenes and the annoying sound was gone. It's been over a year and I haven't had the sound come back. Not sure if these rock pebbles were causing the rattle or the loose fasteners but I've never felt more accomplished. Good luck!

Sponsored

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Ecoboost "Maggie"
That is the same noise my car just started making. I will check that area on my car this weekend. However, did you do anything?
I still deal with it. I'm not good enough to take apart those panels.

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I finally was able to fix mine, and it wasn't something I would of ever thought of. I removed the rear passenger side wheel and there are little clips that you can twist to tighten and loosen. They hold the carpet wheel liner in place. The clips on mine were loose. I hit it a few times with my first to see if I could produce the sound and some rock pebbles fell out. I tightened the fastenes and the annoying sound was gone. It's been over a year and I haven't had the sound come back. Not sure if these rock pebbles were causing the rattle or the loose fasteners but I've never felt more accomplished. Good luck!
I was coming here to post this. The rattle sounds like its inside the car but its not. Its pebbles and rocks behind that liner. Happened on my 17 and now on my 22. Rear passenger side rattle.
Sponsored