Stang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You drive it with them

You drive it hard with them wimpy stock AS tires? U daily that thing? I love seeing high mile cars. Drive it like it's meant to do.
Yep. I just can’t floor it from below 60mph with the AS. I have MT’s for racing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dirty-max

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
Yep. I just can’t floor it from below 60mph with the AS. I have MT’s for racing.
Who did the blower? How do you like it so far? Im still considering ordering a car with the Whipple from Lebanon! Just was worried at first from the noises and cylinder issues these cars were having at first lol

Stang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Who did the blower? How do you like it so far? Im still considering ordering a car with the Whipple from Lebanon! Just was worried at first from the noises and cylinder issues these cars were having at first lol
A local shop near me called DBR Performance. I have videos and pics on my Instragram @ Sizemore78. I’ve seen cases of cylinder scoring when the engine is tore down and no cylinder scoring when the engine is tore down. So I’m not sure WTF is going on. Possibly 2 different issues. All I know is my car has the tick, but no metal in oil. It has been beaten on hard it’s whole life with the tick. I would like to hope with this many hard miles, I’d start to see metal in oil or see some type of issue.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I wish we in UK, Australia and Japan got the tick!
It seems like the really well built, close tolerance engines get it.
Ours must be as baggy as a wizards sleeve.
IDK I think it might be the opposite. I think an engine with loose tolerances would be more apt to make noise.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
IDK I think it might be the opposite. I think an engine with loose tolerances would be more apt to make noise.
Yep, that makes sense more than anything else. Since it develops after the engines wear in for a while. The clearances open up a little, and minor piston slap is the result. That's why a lot of guys like myself tend to notice the tick go away after running the engine hard and heating the block for a few minutes at high rpm. After it cools down, it starts ticking again. Well, not anymore since I put Ceratec in there.

Sponsored

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I think this is an interesting take on everything and I appreciate the OP sharing this info. I just wish if it was normal Ford would say so. It seems they are authorizing dealers to just toss engines at cars like candy at a parade.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
[QUOTE="DrGrabster, post: 2415822, member: 26841"
Ours must be as baggy as a wizards sleeve.[/QUOTE]

I don't have ticks but I love this quote!

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
My only question at this point is why would Ford replace all these engines knowing it is a "part of the package". By replacing the motors they are indicating something is wrong with them, no?

Also a few shops have jumped in and their "build" motors don't have these issues.

I don't think EVERY motor is doing it either. There's a lot but I'm not sure everyone is.
Exactly how many motors have been replaced? Also, don't believe every post on this forum (or YouTube for that matter) with the claim that their engine is being replaced. I have seen very few with any documentation. I am wary of the internets ability to create fake news....just a weakness of mine I guess, but I prefer facts to chit chat.

With that said, there does seem like there have been some that have been replaced with absolutely no mention of what exactly the problem was or what caused it. Would be nice if at least one of all of the replacement engines had some scientific fact on why it failed. Guessing only a class action will bring out the truth.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I’d imagine because it’s not as widespread of an issue as the internet makes it out to be. Forums and YouTube blow up an issue that prob is just effecting a small amount of cars.
Did not see your post before I posted, but I agree with you 100%. Like nuclear power, the internet is both a boon and a menace. It just depends on how it is used.

OP
OP
dirty-max

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
I contacted my local ford dealership and pressed them and they admitted it’s a pretty big problem and nothing from Ford they’ve replaced 5 engines in 5 different vehicles. They said Ford is working on a fix though but that’s easier said than done...

Sponsored

Stang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I contacted my local ford dealership and pressed them and they admitted it’s a pretty big problem and nothing from Ford they’ve replaced 5 engines in 5 different vehicles. They said Ford is working on a fix though but that’s easier said than done...
So you don’t think it’s normal anymore?
Not the same noise/issue from the duramax?

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
So you don’t think it’s normal anymore?
Not the same noise/issue from the duramax?
I assume he means working on a way to get rid of the noise, not to say that the tick is causing any harm, but the hysteria online of people complaining is causing them to look for a solution.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Pretty sure he meant that Ford had replaced 5 engines on 5 different cars, not that particular dealership.

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT
As all of you, I have been reading about the tick multiple theories in the forum, with no definite answer.

I notice a couple of things in the new coyote engine:

At start up cold, the oil pres is relative low at idle +/- 25 psi, warm is still 25psi. Most cars I have owned, when cold is 50-60psi, and as soon is warmed up, down to 25-30.
Another thing is that they recommend 20W oil, when just a couple of years ago, a track pack,( PP1 now) requires 50W.
If you drive normal a 10AT, you will notice that the rpm range is not more than 2k rpm. at 75mph is close to 2k rpm. That means that most of the drive is below 2k rpm, which means your oil press is 25-30 psi only! But if you keep it at 3k, the oil press jump to 75 psi !!!!.
I think that ford design a low press oil pump for lower resistance with a low viscosity oil, which equals more mpg. Just another theory!
I dont have the tick yet, but I added Ceratec, switch to 40W synt, try to drive when I can in 8th gear to keep rpms above 2.5k, so my oil press is about 75 psi. In my oil change next week, It will be with mobil 15-50W, like I used in my '14 track pack.

Food for thought! :beer:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Pretty sure he meant that Ford had replaced 5 engines on 5 different cars, not that particular dealership.
If they heard "nothing from Ford" then that would mean the DEALERSHIP has replaced 5 engines. Also why would Ford tell the dealership how many they have replaced?
Sponsored