Sponsored

I need help

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
A good quality summer 285 tire on a nice 10” wheel is plenty of tire for almost all purposes. I’ve never really telt they look thin. Sure 305 look meatier from the back but the grip linear doesn’t really improve much at all going from a 285 to a 305 IMHO. Thats my 2c from road and track use with square 285s on 10s and square 305s on 11s. Conventional wisdom that wider is better isn’t as dramatic in practice. 285 is still wider than most GT Mustangs get from the factory.
Sponsored

OP
OP

uptownjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt convertible
Lol, I was going to suggest not going with the Roush wheels. Many of us that run 20s use a 10" wide wheel on the front and an 11" wide wheel on the back. I'm running 275/35R20 on front and 305/35R20 on the rear. When looking at my car from the rear, you can definitely tell the tires are much wider. If I wasn't lowered as much as I am, probably could get away with a 315 on the rear

OP
OP

uptownjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Man I thought those roush wheels would look tuff. Now I have to find some new wheels the size you mentioned 11 in the back 10 in the front.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
You will thank yourself. You want wide and would have to buy a second set after seeing, you can only get so wide on those Roush wheels.

Man I thought those roush wheels would look tuff. Now I have to find some new wheels the size you mentioned 11 in the back 10 in the front.

OP
OP

uptownjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
You will thank yourself. You want wide and would have to buy a second set after seeing, you can only get so wide on those Roush wheels.
I hear you, ty for your advice. I just wish I wouldn't have wasted lots of money on bullshit trying to get where I'm at right now

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
We have all been in those shoes. I'm on my 3rd set of tires in 6 months.

I hear you, ty for your advice. I just wish I wouldn't have wasted lots of money on bullshit trying to get where I'm at right now

OP
OP

uptownjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
We have all been in those shoes. I'm on my 3rd set of tires in 6 months.
So the Michelin tires are the way to go? Also I got the eihbach lowering springs the sport line or something like that they are the ones that offer the most drop. Will I need to install them after the 20s?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
The Michelins are the best all-around summer tire of the three I listed. I am supercharged so eventually went drag radials on the rear and matching fronts, thus my switching out tires after having tried others before. You can go ahead and have your springs installed. That way you can get an idea of just how low it comes down. Mine dropped a little bit more than what was advertised and I don't have any rubbing. Make sure the offsets are correct when you buy the 20's. Expect from about +33 to +35 for the fronts. +53 to +55 for the rears.

OP
OP

uptownjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
The Michelins are the best all-around summer tire of the three I listed. I am supercharged so eventually went drag radials on the rear and matching fronts, thus my switching out tires after having tried others before. You can go ahead and have your springs installed. That way you can get an idea of just how low it comes down. Mine dropped a little bit more than what was advertised and I don't have any rubbing. Make sure the offsets are correct when you buy the 20's. Expect from about +33 to +35 for the fronts. +53 to +55 for the rears.

OP
OP

uptownjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all your time and info I will definitely ask you more questions soon. Ty

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
You are welcome and feel free to ask any question you might have.

Thanks for all your time and info I will definitely ask you more questions soon. Ty

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So the Michelin tires are the way to go? Also I got the eihbach lowering springs the sport line or something like that they are the ones that offer the most drop. Will I need to install them after the 20s?
I'd caution you against going for "most drop". Both suspension function and tire clearance tend to be adversely affected. Stick with 1" drop, or maybe better yet one of the spring sets marketed as "minimum drop" (the amounts of drop vary, so look around).

I was in your shoes about spring choice some years ago, right down to having a brand name all picked out. Until I realized that the amount of drop for the springs I had been favoring was just going to be too low for the rest of what I had planned - which did not include car shows or a "slammed" appearance.

Basic thought here - pick springs for function and acceptable ride quality over excess in appearance.

Norm

OP
OP

uptownjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I'd caution you against going for "most drop". Both suspension function and tire clearance tend to be adversely affected. Stick with 1" drop, or maybe better yet one of the spring sets marketed as "minimum drop" (the amounts of drop vary, so look around).

I was in your shoes about spring choice some years ago, right down to having a brand name all picked out. Until I realized that the amount of drop for the springs I had been favoring was just going to be too low for the rest of what I had planned - which did not include car shows or a "slammed" appearance.

Basic thought here - pick springs for function and acceptable ride quality over excess in appearance.

Norm
Thanks Norm I never thought about ride quality. I was just thinking about appearance. I got all this brand new stuff in my garage and now I have to start selling it.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
UPTown I agree with Norm. Going for the most extreme in this or that often works out to realizing too late that it is too extreme. I know you want to lower as much as possible but at some point too much lowering will have an adverse effect and guess what, also will not allow you to run those wide tires after all. Don't get me wrong, there are many people running those exact springs that you want and they work for them. Many of us often forget that the suspension has a lot to deal with and there should be some travel in the setup, or we would all be driving go-cart type cars. Also, once you get too low....those speed bumps become mountains and driveways can be almost impossible to get into or out of.

You are asking all the right questions and there are a lot of people on here that have the experience and knowledge to hopefully help.

OP
OP

uptownjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
UPTown I agree with Norm. Going for the most extreme in this or that often works out to realizing too late that it is too extreme. I know you want to lower as much as possible but at some point too much lowering will have an adverse effect and guess what, also will not allow you to run those wide tires after all. Don't get me wrong, there are many people running those exact springs that you want and they work for them. Many of us often forget that the suspension has a lot to deal with and there should be some travel in the setup, or we would all be driving go-cart type cars. Also, once you get too low....those speed bumps become mountains and driveways can be almost impossible to get into or out of.

You are asking all the right questions and there are a lot of people on here that have the experience and knowledge to hopefully help.
This forum is great. I've had my mustang for about 9 months now and I went and bought all kinds of things and haven't even installed them yet. Now I think I'm gonna have to sell everything bought and take a huge loss just to get it right. I definitely have a million more questions and appreciate you guys dearly
Sponsored