I hope not - Autoweek: next generation is last ICE Mustang

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
So where do people who Live in inner cities charge there EV..??Do u have any idea how Many renters liv in these Apartment complexs..??HUNDREDS..Where are they going to Build all of these Charging Stations..EV ARE FOR THE RICH..Who have Space on there Expansive land to build Charging Stations..When u get a chance, Drive though an Inner city and u will see it WON'T Work,,EV,s are for the Rich..Not poor..
As I said, EVs will only succeed if they overcome their current limitations. If you cannot recharge your EV as conveniently as you refill your gas tank, EVs will fail.

I am sure there were some naysayers 120 years ago or so saying things like there is no way we will every be able to make fuel available for these new fangled automobiles ... how are we going to get fuel into crowded inner cities? ... where does all the fuel come from? ... horses just eat hay and that's easy to come by ... Automobiles are for the rich, not poor.

Have faith in our free market economy! If EVs are better, they will win out, if the are not better they will die out. Nothing we say here will change that.
Sponsored

1st time Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt.Auto.Premium.3.55
As I said, EVs will only succeed if they overcome their current limitations. If you cannot recharge your EV as conveniently as you refill your gas tank, EVs will fail.

I am sure there were some naysayers 120 years ago or so saying things like there is no way we will every be able to make fuel available for these new fangled automobiles ... how are we going to get fuel into crowded inner cities? ... where does all the fuel come from? ... horses just eat hay and that's easy to come by ... Automobiles are for the rich, not poor.

Have faith in our free market economy! If EVs are better, they will win out, if the are not better they will die out. Nothing we say here will change that.
Like I said..Where are they going to Build Hundreds of Charging stations in Inner cities..Plus it takes at least an Hour to charge One EV..It Won't work in the inner Cities..Its For the Rich..Not Poor..

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Like I said..Where are they going to Build Hundreds of Charging stations in Inner cities..Plus it takes at least an Hour to charge One EV..It Won't work in the inner Cities..Its For the Rich..Not Poor..
I agree that if these problems are not solved, EVs will fail.

But if they are solved ...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So only poor people live in cities? Just where in NJ do you live? There are plenty of poor people in suburban and rural areas and tons of rich folks living in the city. Putting charging stations will be just as difficult in Harlem as the upper west side.

That said this is one of the hurdles that need to be overcome. It will not be easy. But, you know, there was a time that gas stations were few and far apart. You had to plan for them in any long trip. Kind of like today with recharging stations. Now there are two or three on every corner. Same will happen to charging stations. As EV's become more and more popular the infrastructure for them will also need to grow.

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Have you seen the buyer statistics for our cars? The average Mustang buyer is mid 50s. The market is EXACTLY people who could choose to hang onto their current car for the rest of their life if they hate the new offerings. And ICE cars can be kept running a really long time with maintenance and parts replacement. 40-50 years is not a big deal for an ICE vehicle. Especially if it's owned by a retired person that drives a couple thousand miles a year. Dealers LOVE to get a cream puff trade like a Mustang with very few miles and treated gently by an older driver. But why would I trade if I prefer the car I have over a new one?
Truth.

At 53, with my current S550 low mile and pristine, I've come to realize that my '15 may well be the last Mustang I buy new. I have doubts that the S650 will be sufficiently awesome (and priced such) that I'll want to jump ship.

Sponsored

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
does anyone know if the lithium and cobalt used to manufacture these ev batteries is recyclable? and if not, do we have an unlimited supply of both elements?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
does anyone know if the lithium and cobalt used to manufacture these ev batteries is recyclable? and if not, do we have an unlimited supply of both elements?
I can guarantee you, we have a far more abundance of crude oil than cobalt/lithium on this planet.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
1. Yes. And research into way of refining the process’ are ongoing.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/04/210429095151.htm

2. Well, nothing is unlimited but there are plenty of good supply sources available.
https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/new...should-know-about-the-contentious-issue.html#

But the major issue with these a materials are the mining of them. For EV growth to continue better battery materials need to be found. There is significant research being done to accomplish this in the not to distant future.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I can guarantee you, we have a far more abundance of crude oil than cobalt/lithium on this planet.
May be, but the industry is not all that interested in spending the money to go get it. The interest will continue to wane as EV’s become more popular.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

No I don't think people were saying that about horses and inner cities. Horses are actually very difficult, time consuming and expensive to care for and you need a lot of space. Possibly some rich country folk took a while to switch over, but speed and range of cars probably convinced them fairly quickly as well. I'm guessing it was immediately obvious that cars would be easier for people to own and use without needing access to lots of land or having a stable.

It will be great if the market is allowed to be free. Based on people's buying habits (mostly big SUVs and pickups and very few small cars) I don't think most people believe the climate freaks - or they don't care.

Sponsored

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I heard it on the Sat radio today Bank Australian is no longer loaning money for gas/diesel vehicles (2025) -- how crazy is that?

We don't know the life cycle cost of EVs compared to ICE vehicles kept for 10+ years. EV batteries will give out way before 10 years, won't be able to replace them, forcing a purchase of new EV. So, the 10 year cost of EV will more than double the ICE vehicles.

Those who use or have used rechargeable batteries at home know the story -- saving pennies ain't worth the hassle and short-life span of rechargeables.

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I heard it on the Sat radio today Australian banks are no longer loaning money for gas/diesel vehicles -- how crazy is that?

We don't know the life cycle cost of EVs compared to ICE vehicles kept for 10+ years. EV batteries will give out way before 10 years, won't be able to replace them, forcing a purchase of new EV. So, the 10 year cost of EV will more than double the ICE vehicles.

Those who use or have used rechargeable batteries at home know the story -- saving pennies ain't worth the hassle and short-life span of rechargeables.
Wow! If ICE vehicles are still being sold there, how’s that going work? Forcing everyone to pay cash isn’t good for bank business. They need interest payments to make their money…

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Wow! If ICE vehicles are still being sold there, how’s that going work? Forcing everyone to pay cash isn’t good for bank business. They need interest payments to make their money…
I heard it on the Sat radio today Australian banks are no longer loaning money for gas/diesel vehicles (2025) -- how crazy is that?

"Bank Australian" will no longer offer loans not " Australian banks"

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
"Bank Australian" will no longer offer loans not " Australian banks"
That makes more sense, thanks for clarifying. Well, it really doesn’t make sense since ICE vehicles are still being produced but I guess they don’t want those consumers business.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
From this morning's Power Line blog. I can't improve on it.
IMG_5571.jpg
Sponsored