I hope not - Autoweek: next generation is last ICE Mustang

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
I am not sure there are any car manufactures who will be willing to take that kind of liability risk.
I totally agree. If the liability comes back to the manufacturer the technology will not be deployed. Every fender bender will result a lawsuit going after a deep pocket company. The only way around that would be legislation limiting manufacturer liability. And that would be quite the battle.

The other issue, not sure the correct term, is dispatch reliability. If the computers control the car and the manufacturer has the liability, will the car go if there is the slightest thing out of tolerance? Low pressure in a tire...no go. Some sensor not working...no go. Too much weight in the car...no go.

It'll be a long time before the tech hits the road. My previous post was just to kick the hive and see how mad the bees get.
Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Once I redo my main garage...I'll order a Mach-E 🤙I think they're cool and I'll give the drivers of them a thumbs up when I pull up next to them.
Your garage will look something like mine:

IMG_5947.jpg

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
It makes sense to me that some young people will like EVs. It's just tough to recharge when you don't have a house. Maybe a lot of young people will start buying houses so they can have an EV, but I think a lot of younger people would rather take it easy and own fewer things.
Being in the real estate industry, the amount of charging stations developers are installing in apartment buildings, shopping centers, office buildings, etc. is impressive. They know their renter profiles well and are making sure to cater to them. Those developers that don’t will have empty buildings. Harder to adapt existing structures, but they are finding ways and it’s happening. It’s definitely the young 20’s to late 30’s/early 40’s demographic that all these companies are chasing now. The boomers are retiring/retired and aren’t the long term purchasers anymore. Im in my early 40’s and while not 100% sold on EV yet, if someone gave me a Mach E GT, I’d rock it. Looks good and the tech is quite good. Musk is too arrogant for my taste but he is a smart dude and knows who he’s marketing to.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Being in the real estate industry, the amount of charging stations developers are installing in apartment buildings, shopping centers, office buildings, etc. is impressive. They know their renter profiles well and are making sure to cater to them. Those developers that don’t will have empty buildings. Harder to adapt existing structures, but they are finding ways and it’s happening. It’s definitely the young 20’s to late 30’s/early 40’s demographic that all these companies are chasing now.
I see a lot of buildings like that around here but I haven't seen any charging stations at any of them. Not a one. Unless all these buildings have huge underground parking lots that I didn't notice them digging prior to putting up the building.

Im in my early 40’s and while not 100% sold on EV yet, if someone gave me a Mach E GT, I’d rock it. Looks good and the tech is quite good. Musk is too arrogant for my taste but he is a smart dude and knows who he’s marketing to.
I'm surprised you say that, but I know a lot of people like SUVs. I despise them.

I would have some interest if they made a really light weight, small EV that handled well. And it would have to have a manual transmission built in. I wouldn't even care if the range was only 75 or 100 miles if the rest was good enough. I hate big, heavy cars unless they are for a purpose like towing or hauling things. And I like to shift. I really don't want to have to drive a car every day and not be able to shift gears. Major suckage.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I see a lot of buildings like that around here but I haven't seen any charging stations at any of them. Not a one. Unless all these buildings have huge underground parking lots that I didn't notice them digging prior to putting up the building.

I'm surprised you say that, but I know a lot of people like SUVs. I despise them.

I would have some interest if they made a really light weight, small EV that handled well. And it would have to have a manual transmission built in. I wouldn't even care if the range was only 75 or 100 miles if the rest was good enough. I hate big, heavy cars unless they are for a purpose like towing or hauling things. And I like to shift. I really don't want to have to drive a car every day and not be able to shift gears. Major suckage.
It’s not as much of an SUV thing as it is having styling queues of a real Mustang that I like. Also for me it’s more of an anti Tesla thing. I’m just not a fan of Musk and wouldn’t buy his product. That said, I’m nowhere near ready to give up my ICE Mustang yet (or any other ICE vehicles).

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It’s not as much of an SUV thing as it is having styling queues of a real Mustang that I like. Also for me it’s more of an anti Tesla thing. I’m just not a fan of Musk and wouldn’t buy his product. That said, I’m nowhere near ready to give up my ICE Mustang yet (or any other ICE vehicles).
I always like to see new businesses succeed. Not that I hate Ford, Dodge and GM, but I feel like they charge more than they should for their products, so I want the most competition possible out there. I think we all win when there are more choices.

I do have to admit I'm a little upset with Ford for: 1. getting rid of cars. 2. messing with the Mustang name. But Ford is such a huge organization I understand there are good and not so great people and decisions that happen. Hopefully they will improve.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Being in the real estate industry, the amount of charging stations developers are installing in apartment buildings, shopping centers, office buildings, etc. is impressive.
I'm not doubting in some areas of the country this is occurring, but I have not been witnessing it here. In dense metro areas like Chicago, New York, Austin or the West Coast, I can certainly see more, especially in high-rise environments or large parking garages.

My area has experienced building in the last 3-5 years which has exceeded the previous 15 combined. It's often been breathtaking. EV charging stations installed? Next to none. Either in new builds or retrofitted areas.

Residential property owners account for virtually all EVs where I live; they typically have hook-ups installed at home and it works well.

Some businesses have installed a handful here and there. But it's still not common.

Part of it is certainly cost. Now along with everything else, a developer/owner needs to carve out part of their budget for EV hook-ups and electricity.

Determining how many can be difficult.

Apartments? Like many, most of our complexes involve hundreds of people each in large buildings. Parking lots are open and uncovered, often the size of football fields. Installing charging stations could be made practical. Maybe a pod or small cluster near each building.

If your the owner of an existing complex, not only where to place the stations, but how many stations to install, how many parking spaces will existing clients lose? That's a hard nut to crack. Parking lots I drive by are often at capacity now.

I'm genuinely interested to see what developers and existing owners do. Each area will change to their own needs.

As a commercial property owner, I'd be concerned not only of any new costs, but how much of a factor is it in keeping, attracting (enough stations) or deterring (none existing) clients.

Last edited:

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
I'm not doubting in some areas of the country this is occurring, but I have not been witnessing it here. In dense metro areas like Chicago, New York, Austin or the West Coast, I can certainly see more, especially in high-rise environments or large parking garages.

My area has experienced building in the last 3-5 years which has exceeded the previous 15 combined. It's often been breathtaking. EV charging stations installed? Next to none. Either in new builds or retrofitted areas.

Residential property owners account for virtually all EVs where I live; they typically have hook-ups installed at home and it works well.

Some businesses have installed a handful here and there. But it's still not common.

Part of it is certainly cost. Now along with everything else, a developer/owner needs to carve out part of their budget for EV hook-ups and electricity.

Determining how many can be difficult.

Apartments? Like many, most of our complexes involve hundreds of people each in large buildings. Parking lots are open and uncovered, often the size of football fields. Installing charging stations could be made practical. Maybe a pod or small cluster near each building.

If your the owner of an existing complex, not only where to place the stations, but how many stations to install, how many parking spaces will existing clients lose? That's a hard nut to crack. Parking lots I drive by are often at capacity now.

I'm genuinely interested to see what developers and existing owners do. Each area will change to their own needs.

As a commercial property owner, I'd be concerned not only of any new costs, but how much of a factor is it in keeping, attracting (enough stations) or deterring (none existing) clients.
Municipalities can mandate the installation of Level 2 chargers (at least the rough-in) in all new construction if there is no uptake voluntarily. I* would like to see that occur in our municipalities in the BC Interior. Far northern regions already provide 115V 15amp plug-ins in exposed parking lots for winter block heaters. They could just put in 220V 50amp instead in new construction and rotate circuit timers for night use, e.g. 4 hrs on, 4 hrs off from 9pm to 5am (or 10 to 6). That way, everyone can get at least a 4 hour charge....plenty enough for most urban uses.

Retro-fitting many/most existing multi-family buildings is likely a non-starter, at least in terms of 100% coverage and/or in a short period of time. The underground distribution system would not be able to handle it unless restricted to overnight use.

*To be clear, I am not an EV idealist either. I have 2 ICEs that I will continue to have for many years. But we have to start somewhere with the transition and it is better to start now with a lower rate of change than to have to impose a surge 10 years from now when the climate is really messing with humanity in so many ways. In my immediate (and extended) family, only one of them currently has an EV. The transition will be decades in the making.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
With the raise of Tesla and Elon Musk being in the spot light more than ever. I also have same feelings toward him. I never knew how weird and arrogant he was until these past few years.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Municipalities can mandate the installation of Level 2 chargers (at least the rough-in) in all new construction if there is no uptake voluntarily.
I really really hope that doesn't happen. It sounds like a good way to kill business. People will probably just build cheaper stuff in all the surrounding cities and renters will go to places that don't cost as much.

If things get to the point where people won't rent without a hook-up, then it will make sense for the owners to add them.

I'm not sure where these ideas come from that everything has to be pushed by an outside force instead of just letting consumer demand take care of it naturally.

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
It is a bit of chicken and egg. Developers rightfully wouldn't want the expense to install Level 2 chargers if there is no demand, but there may insufficient demand if tenants don't speak up and demand it. Time will tell but developments with underground garages/parkades which are the most common multi-family developments here would seem 'ripe' for a rough-in of such installations from initial design.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I haven’t seen much in the way of charging station mandates, but there are municipalities that have affordable unit mandates, meaning that a certain % of the total property must be set aside for renters with incomes that are x% of AMI (usually 60-80%) for that municipality or county. Those mandates typically come with property tax breaks for a set number of years.

1st time Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt.Auto.Premium.3.55
I know I am in the minority here, but I really think EVs are going to win out not because of regulations, but because they will simply be better - quieter, smoother, faster, simpler, more reliable, more efficient efficient, and (eventually) lower total cost of ownership. I know battery and charger tech is not quite there yet, but it is getting better every day.

I am not saying this because I believe in some zero emission fantasy (because I don't believe they will end up being all that much "greener"). I just believe that the tech will end up being better and for the average Joe, an EV car will just end up being a better choice. I do believe that it will take longer to get there than some think, but that is where we are heading.
So where do people who Live in inner cities charge there EV..??Do u have any idea how Many renters liv in these Apartment complexs..??HUNDREDS..Where are they going to Build all of these Charging Stations..EV ARE FOR THE RICH..Who have Space on there Expansive land to build Charging Stations..When u get a chance, Drive though an Inner city and u will see it WON'T Work,,EV,s are for the Rich..Not poor..
Sponsored