I DON'T have the tick but I have the 2K Rattle

BarberStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (base,6Spd,BAP)
Guys there is a tsb about the oil tensioner on the timing chain for 15-19 GTs who make what they call a chirping sound which you could say our rattle sounds like in a sugar coated way that is faulty. It makes sense as some have stated oil changes make it change. Could be the timing chain not being lubricated thus slapping around or why it sounds metallic.
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Guys there is a tsb about the oil tensioner on the timing chain for 15-19 GTs who make what they call a chirping sound which you could say our rattle sounds like in a sugar coated way that is faulty. It makes sense as some have stated oil changes make it change. Could be the timing chain not being lubricated thus slapping around or why it sounds metallic.
There's a thread about the chirp and videos. I have the chirp when cold. It sounds like a squeaky accessory pulley. It's nothing like the rattle.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There's a thread about the chirp and videos. I have the chirp when cold. It sounds like a squeaky accessory pulley. It's nothing like the rattle.
I was going to say, I don't think the rattle has anything to do with the chain tensioner. If I had a set of timing chains that sounded like that, it would be literally chewing those plastic chain guides into confetti.

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
Gentlemen, not to throw a monkey in the wrench, but I honestly have not seen or heard a recording of 1 legit case of 2k rattle in any Generation of Coyote before 2018.

If you guys can find a legit link or posted recording, please prove me wrong. I say this because you have fuel rails that literally act like sound tubes transmitting resonant sound from the mechanical HPFP. That sound would end up all over the engine block, with almost no precise way to nail down the source. Worse than a wild goose chase, imo.
No legit link needed but thanks. MY 2011 had the 2K rattle back in 2012-13 time frame...I don't need an internet thread to tell me about it, mine was very prevalent.

That's weird. I've never seen examples of it until now. Well, if it is piston slap, why is it so prevalent in the 2018+, and why aren't we seeing tons of engine failures because of it?

Piston slap that bad inevitably leads to failures in a fairly short period of time. Also, I've heard piston slap a lot in many different engines, and it sounds much different than that.

Btw, I haven't noticed much of the rattle lately in mine. Not sure why, because I always listen for weird noises. Especially this morning on my way home from work. It's still there, just not very loud like it used to be. Strange. It seems to come and go to a certain degree.

I have used and not used Ceratec at various points in my ownership. It makes a HUGE difference in things like the typewriter tick, and general engine noise. But, Ceratec has had ZERO affect on the 2k rattle in my case. Nor have I heard it helping others. Now, for those who have other engines, like my old Chevy Suburban 5.7L engine. That engine has developed a noticeable piston slap on startup (100,000mi on that engine). However, after using Ceratec, my Suburban only has a small hint of piston slap for a few seconds, then immediately goes away COMPLETELY as the engine warms up. So, Ceratec will help with minor piston slap. Yet, it has NO AFFECT what so ever on the 2k rattle of the Coyote engine. This tells me, that whatever the 2k rattle is, it is most likely NOT INTERNAL to the bottom end of the engine.
Same exact experience here...NO 2k change with Ceratec but reduced the 'Tick'

My point was if the 2K rattle was equally prevalent in Gen1 and Gen2 Coyotes (2011-2017) there would have way more than a couple of reports over the last 8 years of them rattling at 2K RPM ... I've not seen that, and I'd bet nobody else has either. Yet, there has been many more reports of Gen3 Coyotes with the 2K rattle ever since the Gen3 hit the streets.
Definitely seems more prevalent but mt 1st gen had it too, albeit not as loud but most definitely the same condition.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
No legit link needed but thanks. MY 2011 had the 2K rattle back in 2012-13 time frame...I don't need an internet thread to tell me about it, mine was very prevalent.

Same exact experience here...NO 2k change with Ceratec but reduced the 'Tick'

Definitely seems more prevalent but mt 1st gen had it too, albeit not as loud but most definitely the same condition.
How many miles did you put on it, and did you modify the car at all?

Sponsored

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
How many miles did you put on it, and did you modify the car at all?
No mods, totally stock. Put about 30k on it, she was the black one behind my Shelby.

upload_2019-12-26_18-18-2.jpeg

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Did a dealer ever check it out, and if so what was their "diagnosis"?

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Did a dealer ever check it out, and if so what was their "diagnosis"?
Yes a local dealer went thru it with me, We noted metal particles in the filter but wasn’t enough to raise a fuss. They agreed the noise was quite unusual but really offered no further explanations. Keep in mind this was very early in the coyote days. I drove this car approx 90 miles/day for work so i had plenty of seat time in it.
I sold the cat shortly thereafter, unrelated to the noise (had to buy a tow rig).

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
I bought a 2018 GT used with 7,000 miles on it with the Performance Pack... I absolutely love the car. After reading through this thread I can tell you one thing. I'm just going to send it and drive the hell out of it and enjoy the car. I've learned a lot from this thread and it makes me feel better to not be alone with that 2k rattle. The more I read through this thread, the better I felt about it to be honest. Enjoy the car guys, I'm living the dream every day.

Last edited:

BarberStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (base,6Spd,BAP)
Exactly. Just seems like not a big deal unlike the tick. I keep asking people who have rebuilt their engines for more powah baby, and they say it comes back. So oh well. You'd think if it was that serious Ford would step up. I highly doubt it is.

I bought a 2018 GT used with 7,000 miles on it with the Performance Pack... I absolutely love the car. After reading through this thread I can tell you one thing. I'm just going to send it and drive the hell out of it and enjoy the car. I've learned a lot from this thread and it makes me feel better to not be alone with that 2k rattle. The more I read through this thread, the better I felt about it to be honest. Enjoy the car guys, I'm living the dream every day.

Sponsored

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
Exactly. Just seems like not a big deal unlike the tick. I keep asking people who have rebuilt their engines for more powah baby, and they say it comes back. So oh well. You'd think if it was that serious Ford would step up. I highly doubt it is.
For sure man. I mean they keep producing the same exact motor and it appears pretty much all of them after 2018 do it. There's no hard evidence that suggests it's anything more than an annoyance. With that being said, I will continue to drive it like there's nothing wrong with it. It was said earlier in the thread, if there was concrete evidence this was true piston slap or something even worse, they would've stopped production on these motors until a fix was made. They can't afford another big issue like when they were intentionally letting out the Fiesta/Focus vehicles with their huge tranny lawsuit. They don't want that again.

The noise doesn't even bug me in the slightest bit. I know it shouldn't happen and it is weird, but my solution is turn up the radio, or get it out of the 2k RPM range. I worked for a million years to get this thing and I'm going to enjoy it, you won't see cars like these in 10 years from now... keep em and enjoy.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I wonder if anyone that has a Supercharger, still has the 2k Rattle. That would indicate if it's IMRC related, since I believe all that get gets pulled.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if anyone that has a Supercharger, still has the 2k Rattle. That would indicate if it's IMRC related, since I believe all that get gets pulled.
May also be worth asking anyone who did a vct phaser lockout if they have it, too. I was digging around some old posts from gen 1 coyotes and one of the 2k rattle threads seemed to say it's the VCT system getting noisy around that range.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
May also be worth asking anyone who did a vct phaser lockout if they have it, too. I was digging around some old posts from gen 1 coyotes and one of the 2k rattle threads seemed to say it's the VCT system getting noisy around that range.
It could be. I had the idea a while back that when throttle position is at a certain point with oil pressure also at a specific point, it could cause the Phasors to chatter a bit when they can't decide which way to go.

Rolls

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pcmtec.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 18 GT
Are the latest 2020 models any less likely to have these issues? Or is the frequency the same as the 18/19 models?

I'm looking at buying a second hand 18 model with ~10-15,000kms and I'm thinking that if it is going to rattle it will by then, where as with brand new I won't know. Thoughts?
Sponsored