Sponsored

I DON'T have the tick but I have the 2K Rattle

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Are the latest 2020 models any less likely to have these issues? Or is the frequency the same as the 18/19 models?

I'm looking at buying a second hand 18 model with ~10-15,000kms and I'm thinking that if it is going to rattle it will by then, where as with brand new I won't know. Thoughts?
Yes, if it's not making any ticking or 2K rattles with those miles on it, then it's probably not going to. Keep in mind that some guys run Ceratec in the oil, so that can quiet/hide the BBQ tick.
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'm actually nearly completely convinced the rattle has nothing to do with piston slap and is related to the vct or timing chain. The other day I was sitting at a red light, cold, and I heard the rattle at idle. I've never heard it before, but the idle was hunting a bit (not surging, but slowly dropping from a cold start) and I could hear the rattle as if you were feathering the gas pedal at that point (hard to explain to those of you on older models that don't hear it). This persisted as I began rolling with light throttle, and the speed of the rattle itself did not change in the slightest. It makes sense, to be honest. 12:1 compression that's meant to have good driveability and also run on 87-93 (stock tune) would need a lot of cam timing adjustments to maintain drivability and not knock.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I'm actually nearly completely convinced the rattle has nothing to do with piston slap and is related to the vct or timing chain. The other day I was sitting at a red light, cold, and I heard the rattle at idle. I've never heard it before, but the idle was hunting a bit (not surging, but slowly dropping from a cold start) and I could hear the rattle as if you were feathering the gas pedal at that point (hard to explain to those of you on older models that don't hear it). This persisted as I began rolling with light throttle, and the speed of the rattle itself did not change in the slightest. It makes sense, to be honest. 12:1 compression that's meant to have good driveability and also run on 87-93 (stock tune) would need a lot of cam timing adjustments to maintain drivability and not knock.
I'd be interested to know if anyone who had the timing chain tensioner TSB done noticed any difference in the rattle. I've often wondered if it was chain rattle too.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'd be interested to know if anyone who had the timing chain tensioner TSB done noticed any difference in the rattle. I've often wondered if it was chain rattle too.
Considering newer 2020 models also rattle, I'd say it's a safe bet it doesn't matter much. That's not to say it's not the chain. It's just that the newer models are most likely using the same or even a newer revision of the replacement tensioner.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
Considering newer 2020 models also rattle, I'd say it's a safe bet it doesn't matter much. That's not to say it's not the chain. It's just that the newer models are most likely using the same or even a newer revision of the replacement tensioner.
Good point thx!

Sponsored

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
My 2k rattle seems to have evolved since the car was new. 3500 miles now, 2019 gt. I have the tensioner chip on cold idle and the 2k rattle has become what I call the "2k chirp."

I rarely hear what seems to be timing chain chatter now- with the car fully warmed up, I hear a high-pitched fluttering tone in place of the rattle throughout the entire RPM range but most audible at 2k. It sounds like a cross between cardi-b and a flock of birds.

I'm curious if it's in the chain tensioners, and hence the 2k rattle is chain related. MMR has a YouTube video that shows how the timing phasers in these engines are designed out-of-round, putting constant fluctuating pressure on the tensioners and guide rails.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My 2k rattle seems to have evolved since the car was new. 3500 miles now, 2019 gt. I have the tensioner chip on cold idle and the 2k rattle has become what I call the "2k chirp."

I rarely hear what seems to be timing chain chatter now- with the car fully warmed up, I hear a high-pitched fluttering tone in place of the rattle throughout the entire RPM range but most audible at 2k. It sounds like a cross between cardi-b and a flock of birds.

I'm curious if it's in the chain tensioners, and hence the 2k rattle is chain related. MMR has a YouTube video that shows how the timing phasers in these engines are designed out-of-round, putting constant fluctuating pressure on the tensioners and guide rails.
There was a guy a couple years ago on the F-150 forum who said he had the 2k rattle, the typewriter tick, chain tensioner chirping. Pretty much the whole list of known complaints. He said he solved all the issues. When the other forum members asked him how he fixed it, he said installed a custom set set of Long Tubes, and a Flowmaster Outlaw w/Muffler Delete.

He said, "I can't hear anything anymore, including my own stereo."

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
There was a guy a couple years ago on the F-150 forum who said he had the 2k rattle, the typewriter tick, chain tensioner chirping. Pretty much the whole list of known complaints. He said he solved all the issues. When the other forum members asked him how he fixed it, he said installed a custom set set of Long Tubes, and a Flowmaster Outlaw w/Muffler Delete.

He said, "I can't hear anything anymore, including my own stereo."
Haha! That's getting it done right there!

Stock-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I’ve had the TSB done on my car and it made no difference in the rattle. The car had the tensioner squeak that was fixed by the TSB but the rattle remains.

Rolls

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pcmtec.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 18 GT
I just test drive a 2018 with 11,000kms on the clock. It had a rattle at 2k when stone cold in neutral that went away with revs, when warm it was gone. I drove along side a concrete barrier and loaded it up at 2-2.5k when warm and couldn't hear any rattle either.

If this the "normal" rattle?

Is the only one to be worried about when it gets worse with revs or persists when warm ?

It still has 3 years warranty so I figure I'll just flog the hell out of it for a year and if it gets worse I'll worry about it then.

BTW the sound was very similar to the piston slap I used to hear in my sloppy forged build in my skylin . The skyline didn't get better when warm though.

Thoughts?

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
I’ve had the TSB done on my car and it made no difference in the rattle. The car had the tensioner squeak that was fixed by the TSB but the rattle remains.
Okay thanks for confirming that. My chirp isnt much so I'm not going to worry about it for now.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Don't mean to dredge up this old thread, but I've noticed recently my 2k Rattle seems to be almost non-existent. I can barely hear it in the background now. Interesting. It definitely CAN'T be piston slap, that kind of thing doesn't fix itself...ever. With real piston slap, Ceratec can only do so much....but not this much.

It must be something like cam phasors chattering in mid-position, or maybe IMRC chatter. Even if it was noise from the DI-HPFP, you would think that would be more consistent. Although, I suppose it may go away slowly as it breaks in, but not sure.

All I know, is this can't be piston slap. Piston slap never sounds like this...and only gets worse with age.

Stock-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
This is a good sign. Maybe these engines just have a weird extended break in period.

IMHO this rattle seems pretty prevalent and I think by now we’d know if this rattle caused major damage.

I know some guys have been unfortunate and suffered major damage to their engines but it’s hard to point to the rattle as the exclusive cause of the damage.

I’m happy this thread exists and we’re sharing our experiences and ideas. I know reading these posts has given me much more piece of mind.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This is a good sign. Maybe these engines just have a weird extended break in period.

IMHO this rattle seems pretty prevalent and I think by now we’d know if this rattle caused major damage.

I know some guys have been unfortunate and suffered major damage to their engines but it’s hard to point to the rattle as the exclusive cause of the damage.

I’m happy this thread exists and we’re sharing our experiences and ideas. I know reading these posts has given me much more piece of mind.
One thing to always remember, is that when you start your car cold, never put your foot down until it's warmed up. I never go over 2k rpm until the temps are all normal. I have noticed in my car the rattle seems to be loudest when VERY cold. As soon as the oil warms up, it gets much quieter. However, it's not piston slap though, because the block in 3rd Gen grows much more than the previous Gens. That means if it was piston slap, it would get worse as the cylinders grow after warmup. My guess it is has a lot to do with the oil temp. Once it warms up and thins out, it provides the proper pressure and flow to the Phasors, HPFP, chain tensioners, etc.

Stock-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
One thing to always remember, is that when you start your car cold, never put your foot down until it's warmed up. I never go over 2k rpm until the temps are all normal. I have noticed in my car the rattle seems to be loudest when VERY cold. As soon as the oil warms up, it gets much quieter. However, it's not piston slap though, because the block in 3rd Gen grows much more than the previous Gens. That means if it was piston slap, it would get worse as the cylinders grow after warmup. My guess it is has a lot to do with the oil temp. Once it warms up and thins out, it provides the proper pressure and flow to the Phasors, HPFP, chain tensioners, etc.
I agree completely. It’s not a good idea to beat on any cold engine like a rented mule. I’ve noticed on mine that the rattle is definitely more prevalent when cold. After everything reaches operating temperature then it disappears 90%. Once in a while during driving it will remind you it’s still there but mostly it’s super quiet.

I have an upcoming road trip from Chicago to Atlanta and the car will spend a couple days right around that magic “rattle RPM” range while cruising and I’m very curious if that will make any difference
Sponsored