HOW TO: Swap PP gauges into standard model

Keiferson22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT Premium
The tune file that was loaded is likely a hybrid of files, that include a library borrowed from the performance pack tune file.

The ECU now expects to communicate with the intended sensor through a specified PCM pin. On the Ecoboost the "Oil Pressure Switch" signal is called out in 2 different pin locations depending on whether or not you are equipped with the performance pack.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Its hard for me to believe the oil pressure is an estimate based on other data. Ford has done that with oil temp for over a decade in some cars but oil temp is something fairly simple to estimate based on other available data. And actual oil temp isn't something that can instantly go off the charts and destroy an engine. An oil pressure gauge, on the other hand is useless if it isn't accurate AND undelayed.

Is it ruled out there is some other (primary) oil pressure sensor somewhere and the old school one is just there for other systems that haven't been updated to use the new sensor that will eventually completely replace it?

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Its hard for me to believe the oil pressure is an estimate based on other data. Ford has done that with oil temp for over a decade in some cars but oil temp is something fairly simple to estimate based on other available data. And actual oil temp isn't something that can instantly go off the charts and destroy an engine. An oil pressure gauge, on the other hand is useless if it isn't accurate AND undelayed.

Is it ruled out there is some other (primary) oil pressure sensor somewhere and the old school one is just there for other systems that haven't been updated to use the new sensor that will eventually completely replace it?
From all of my time looking at the wiring diagrams, there is no other pressure sending unit for the oil. No other sensor is connected to any of the oil passages so there shouldn't be any other way for the system to read pressure. The only thing I can think of is that the base sender is a resistance based unit which allows the system to read pressure. But that doesn't explain why they switch sending units for PP vehicles or how just grounding the single wire doesn't cause an error.... Very odd....

Keiferson22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT Premium

I've gone over the schematics with Ford and they couldn't find an additional sensor. Why would a performance pack vehicle require a sending unit with an oil pressure transducer if it already existed? The fact that the gauge works at all on the V6 is a mystery considering it uses a can signal from an address that does not exist on a V6 can bus...
As for where a derived signal may originate from I haven't a clue. Maybe the oil pump provides a signal...
This is killing me because nothing makes sense. I'll flash the tune I got from Adam tonight and see what happens..

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I've gone over the schematics with Ford and they couldn't find an additional sensor. Why would a performance pack vehicle require a sending unit with an oil pressure transducer if it already existed? The fact that the gauge works at all on the V6 is a mystery considering it uses a can signal from an address that does not exist on a V6 can bus...
As for where a derived signal may originate from I haven't a clue. Maybe the oil pump provides a signal...
This is killing me because nothing makes sense. I'll flash the tune I got from Adam tonight and see what happens..
Yes, very strange. I can't imagine a scenario where Ford would write a bunch of code to simulate oil pressure for a model that doesn't have an oil pressure gauge even as an option, particularly when they could get real oil pressure with a cheap part from other models.

Sponsored

X0AYHAM0X

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 V6
I'll return my car to stock and unplug the sending unit connector, in theory the oil pressure on my cluster should show "low".

If it showed normal with the connector being unplugged then we know for sure that the sending unit doesn't have a role in the oil pressure

Am I right or wrong?

X0AYHAM0X

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 V6
I just returned my car to the stock tune and unplugged the sending unit connector, my oil pressure remained NORMAL which makes me think that the oil pressure readings are coming from somewhere else.

Sponsored
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Yes, very strange. I can't imagine a scenario where Ford would write a bunch of code to simulate oil pressure for a model that doesn't have an oil pressure gauge even as an option, particularly when they could get real oil pressure with a cheap part from other models.
It is possible that this is a pre-production leftover. So basically imagine if Ford had originally intended every model PP or not to get the aux gauges. Instead of equipping every model with a pressure transducer they decided to write code that approximated the oil pressure based off of rpm, load, throttle input, etc.... That would certainly be cheaper then equipping each model with the transducer.

X0AYHAM0X

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 V6
Just got an email from MPT saying that there's no solution as of now :(
I read someone was gonna flash the new tune he got from his tuner, any luck?

profecia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Same here, can this setup be done or not all gauges will work?

I have a non pp premium gt
Sponsored