Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
This is not really mustang related but could be
My mustang is gets first preference in my garage

ive recently purchased a 10 year old low production euro car, its no where near mustang price, but i want to keep it long term and keep it as an investment, and use it half daily, but I dont have another garage,

what would be the best way to keep the paint/overall condition pristine??

if I got a thick cover, would the temperature changes damage the paint?
does the heat cause damage, or is uncovered UV rays?
Sponsored

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
I don't daily my Mach 1 but it lives outside in uncovered parking spot and I drive about 1/2 times a week. I have no Info about how paint will hold up but it's a world of frustration trying to keep it "protected"

-Washing car all the time
-Gets dirty whether I drive or not
-Can't always line up washing car and immediately covering it.

I went overboard and

PPFed entire car
Ceramic coated entire car
I have inside window covers for front/sides/rear
Cover it when I know it'll sit longer than a week.
Ceramic window tint

I hope this will keep the elements away )= anything else from community j would love to know about as well.

mcky2011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Do not put a cover on your cars outside.

Ask any body shop, they will do more damage than the elements.

If you can put one up, car ports are fairly inexpensive. (at least here in the US)
20230720_165418.png

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
Covers damage the paint if exposed to lots of wind, like a bra. Met a guy with a sweet 70 Road Runner that lived outdoors for all the years he owned it and the original paint was nice until last winter. He covered it and the paint took an absolute beating from the typical New England wind.

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Covers damage the paint if exposed to lots of wind, like a bra. Met a guy with a sweet 70 Road Runner that lived outdoors for all the years he owned it and the original paint was nice until last winter. He covered it and the paint took an absolute beating from the typical New England wind.
wow, wind blowing on to a cover does damage?!?!? that is the most surprising thing ive heard all year

Sponsored

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
So I do store my car outside and I’ll tell you the cover will cause micro scratches in the paint. Personally I think dealing with that is better than dealing with bird droppings, tree sap, and whatever else gets to the exposed paint.

It’s a pick your poison situation. I have the top of the line outdoor car cover from California Car covers. I’m happy with it. Keeps the UV rays off my paint, protects the decals on my M1, etc. This winter we had horrendous storms with tons of rain and debris flying around (tree leaves, dirt, etc.) The car still looked fantastic at the end of winter.

With that said, it still needs regular washings, and I get little micro scratches I have to buff out from time to time.

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
So I do store my car outside and I’ll tell you the cover will cause micro scratches in the paint. Personally I think dealing with that is better than dealing with bird droppings, tree sap, and whatever else gets to the exposed paint.

It’s a pick your poison situation. I have the top of the line outdoor car cover from California Car covers. I’m happy with it. Keeps the UV rays off my paint, protects the decals on my M1, etc. This winter we had horrendous storms with tons of rain and debris flying around (tree leaves, dirt, etc.) The car still looked fantastic at the end of winter.

With that said, it still needs regular washings, and I get little micro scratches I have to buff out from time to time.
not that i have much experience with car covers, but ive tried a few cheap ones and could imagine swirl marks galore,
unless the most expensive ones are made of fur or feathers

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
not that i have much experience with car covers, but ive tried a few cheap ones and could imagine swirl marks galore,
unless the most expensive ones are made of fur or feathers
Good high quality covers come with a lining to reduce scratches. Been storing cars under them for years, just the unfortunate consequences of where I live and limited indoor storage.

Don’t disagree it’s not a perfect solution, but for me it’s better than the alternative.

It’s also important to keep the cover washed and clean, as it cuts down on trapped abrasives.

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The rubber mounding, windshield wipers, etc will get the most damage from the sun. Others may have advice on how to protect those parts.

I would ceramic or wrap the car. Either should keep the paint in good shape from the elements. I had a CTS-V in full sun for a few years... the ceramic made it look brand new (except for the window moulding, etc)

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Three things. One is i tend to agree about possible paint damage from car covers outside. Had such happen to one of my cars. Lots of "it depends" tho. With a good cover the trade off may be better than no cover at all.
Second thing is have some sort of vapor barrier under the car. Not as much need if parked on concrete or such, but for long term maybe. I have tried to help a friend who parked a car on grass and left it a long time. The underside was very rusty.

Last is one of those blow-up car pod capsules I have seen advertised. The have a small blower constantly pushing filtered air in. keeps the capsule blown up and is said to prevent things such a mold. takes care of the ground moisture. They are portable and can be set up in different places. When not needed can likely fold up into small package. Never used one so cannot say for sure. Do not know of the cost.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
wow, wind blowing on to a cover does damage?!?!?
Yep, wind is the enemy of outdoor car covers. @WildHorse is referring to the "whacks" the clear coat takes when the wind SLAPS it against the vehicle. The clear will also be scratched as the cover slides up, down, back and forth and its the edges in the body contour that take the hit.

Obviously, a lot depends on the type and quality of the cover as well as the weather and wind. Those that have a felt lining like our OEM covers are MUCH better than one with no lining where the rougher surface of the canvas-like cover can do much more damage than felt.

painters plastic on first, then the car cover.
Other than the "car port" solution, this is the next level of protection and should protect the paint surface IF the car is clean which is an important point. The problem with this method is keeping the inner painter's plastic from moving around while you're trying to get the cover on, (and this would be exceptionally difficult in windy conditions.) I've never tried it and perhaps the plastic would stick to the paint enough to keep it from sliding around.

In any case, it is as has been said, a frustrating procedure when you put her away and, when it comes time to UNcover her..more frustration.

Best of luck, OP.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Stick the Mustang outside and keep the "Euro car" inside IF you bought that car as an "investment". I mean, that is the most obvious solution.

As others have said, a cover will beat on the paint - even form fitting covers. Covered outdoors even traps moisture between the cover and the vehicle, do not let anyone tell you otherwise - even with the "best outdoor" covers, yes it does.

Do not park the car over grass, dirt or even a stoned driveway - the car will rot from the underside due to normal air temps swings, moisture and dew. If a car is parked over such surfaces and is rarely driven, the car chassis has no way of airing out - that trapped moisture I'll eventually turn to rust - and any moisture in the engine bay will oxidize any aluminum parts, as well as rust steel parts.

Be smart about it - because if it's an "investment", then IT should have the garage and not the Mustang.

One more thing, if it is an investment, then insure it under a Collector Car Policy that is an Agreed Value policy where the value is in black and white on the declaration page and nothing short or less of that type of policy. And if you do insure it as such, the vehicle HAS to be in a locked garage.

If you're treating it as an "investment", do it right.
Sponsored