Blair8823

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Hey all,

First time posting here. I recently purchased a 2016 Mustang GT/CS in Ruby Red. Absolutely love it despite one thing. The previous owner put a Flowmaster Outlaw catback on and it drones so bad. I cannot stand it on the highway. The only way to get around it is to used 5th gear until about 80. After 80 you can use 6th.

So i purchased the Solo catback Mach XV exhaust in hopes of changing it out but what I didnt know at the time was you have to cut the pipes behind the cats for the outlaw and the solo is direct bolt on to the stock if you have it. Since the pipes have been cut the solo wont fit and to purchase new cats and pipes it's another $1000 so I'll be returning it (if AM let's me).

That is what brings me here.. has anyone else run into this and have a suggestion on how to quiet it down and remove the drone? Is my only option the axle back American thunder from flowmaster? It looks like flowmaster decided to use it's own version of pipe lengths compared to most others in the industry which is rather annoying imo.

Please let me know any suggestions!

Thank you!
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Why don't you just have a muffler shop extend the pipes to fit the Solo catback? A lot cheaper to do that and the Solo probably sounds a lot better. I wouldn't use anything Flowmaster on these Mustangs. These aren't the same as the 4.6L chambered mufflers that sounded amazing back then.

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
I had the outlaw system on my car as well and I ran into this exact issue, ended up being the excuse I needed to install headers to fit another catback lol. The options I looked into were the following: Getting a muffler shop to weld back the same length of pipes that were cut out during the install of the flowmasters, or looking into welding in some dynomax bullets to tame some of the drone. Nuclear option is saying screw it and getting a set of headers :rockon:, eihter way best of luck with whatever route you decide to go.

Side note: Dont swap out the axle back for the other flowmaster option, I looked into doing this too but I read on reviews about it that it also droned as well so it completely defeats the purpose.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've actually heard of a few guys converting their 2015-2017 GT's to the OEM 2018 Exhaust, since the new OEM exhaust sounds much better than the older version. You can install a full resonator to quad tip muffler system by using parts cheaper off Ebay, since so many guys convert there's for drag racing. You also have to get an updated quad tip Diffuser. You'd have to shop around and collect all the parts though.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
I would not install any other Flowmaster if you want a drone free exhaust, go with something else.

Barring that,, I installed the 3" Outlaw's on my 2018, Yes ... I knew they would drone, and did it ever .. Absolutely ear bleed drone on the highway.

I installed a pair of old Vibrant 2.5" bottle resonators I had laying around as a Helmholtz resonator like MBRP did on their race exhaust and actually killed the drone.

I have LT's and will be installing a mid-point muffler in the near future as these Outlaws are crazy loud ...

OutLaw_Helmholtz Resonator.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP

Blair8823

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Well, I took it to a different shop here in town and they extended the pipes after the cats back to fit the solo exhaust. So much cheaper overall and the sound is so much better. The solo exhaust is deeper but a lot quieter. Still gets loud but only when you want it. No drone. So much happier.

Thanks all for your ideas!

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had Stainless Bros resonators welded in and it reduced volume, got rid of rasp and deepened tone
Sponsored