Sponsored

How to avoid people who try to race you?!

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
I was minding my own business merging on the highway. Got upto 70 mph and this guy try in Camry next to me accelerating to keep up with me. I was trying to just get to 80 mph and then this guy trying to catch up fast.
I thought it to myself is it worth proving someone in a Camry how fast the 5.0 is and especially on a public road. This guy takes off and then slows down to get next to me so I can race with him.

Thought came to my mind I am a young dad and it's a public road I am not going race anyone. Felt bad losing to a Camry though.

How do you guys avoid random people who try to race you when you are in your mustang?
Sponsored

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
I don't. Let the Mustang eat:) Or just ignore them and go about your business. If you have a high performance car, you're going to continually keep running into these situations. Its par for the course as they say.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I was minding my own business merging on the highway. Got upto 70 mph and this guy try in Camry next to me accelerating to keep up with me. I was trying to just get to 80 mph and then this guy trying to catch up fast.
I thought it to myself is it worth proving someone in a Camry how fast the 5.0 is and especially on a public road. This guy takes off and then slows down to get next to me so I can race with him.

Thought came to my mind I am a young dad and it's a public road I am not going race anyone. Felt bad losing to a Camry though.

How do you guys avoid random people who try to race you when you are in your mustang?
Tell this to the WRX with "SUBIDAD" plate that constantly tries me.

Just look over and wave him off so they know you're not interested. Not hard. I get attempted racers and revs multiple times a week.

Sponsored

Sound Wave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary Limited Edition MT
Vehicle Showcase
It comes with the territory. In Hawaii we have a "shaka" hand sign which we use a lot. Basically I gesture to them that I am not interested and then throw him the shaka sign. Basically a respectful way of saying, "I don't want to race, take care."

Unless he/she is a big butthead, they will back down. At which point, I will just ignore them.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Avoid these jagoffs at all cost. I don't know what it is, but I can't really recall anybody in another sports car ever getting aggressive with me like that. I mean yeah, the occasional downshift or hot-dogging, but it's always more of an acknowledgement I guess? Like hey, you have a modded sports car too, cool, this is mine.

But it's always some chode in their daily beater that gets aggressive around me. Especially in traffic because I tend to leave a few car lengths in front of me so I'm not downshifting all the time, people just love to cut in front of me so they can move up a whole car length for the next 5 miles of commute. And the tail-gaiting, or suddenly deciding they can drive fast on the highway too, or who knows what.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I've been driving V8 Mustangs for about 36 years of the last 50 years. For me what you describe has been very rare but when it does happen I simply IGNORE the idiot rather than become one myself. In addition to the physical danger risks as an added incentive for behaving I "assume" there is a cop nearby whom I cannot see.

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I like to drop down a couple gears and jump and then not go. Gets rid of them and they get the win in their own mind.

Win Win

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Many different ways. If someone tries to flex at me, personally, and I don't want to bother (not worth it, roads are bad, car isn't warmed up) then I just drive normal. I usually avoid eye contact but if they persist I'll give them a "you're an idiot," look. Most people get bored after a few seconds. You can also just punch it. No need to bring it to redline or row the gears, either. A small display of what this car is capable of will give a lot of people the hint. On the off chance someone gets aggressive? Blow their doors off. Your safety is now at risk if you don't punch it

Bottom line, you're the only one in control of your car. Your ego will be your worst enemy. "Feels bad losing to a camry," but what loss? You weren't racing. If the camry driver tries to brag then, so what? Everyone who knows a bees dick about cars will know the camry driver is an idiot.

Another way of looking at it is this: is the risk of wrecking your favorite car worth proving you can beat someone you know you'll beat?

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Avoid these jagoffs at all cost. I don't know what it is, but I can't really recall anybody in another sports car ever getting aggressive with me like that. I mean yeah, the occasional downshift or hot-dogging, but it's always more of an acknowledgement I guess? Like hey, you have a modded sports car too, cool, this is mine.

Thats how i am. Share our love of cars. I dont need to race a random person.

I only race people i know when ite safe. Only for fun

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium