Sponsored

How the GT350 Voodoo REALLY stacks up against the competition

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Here is a good S65 4.6L stroker done with the mild Schrick cams done by Alexshop. Look at that beautiful flat linear curve...

A lot of the issues with the Dinan was the tune..

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I agree with all of you, but Ford did tout the GT500 in 2013 for having the most horsepower ever (662) for a "production V8" at the time. They will brag when they get the chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You make a good point, but I think the change in "bragging" is part of the image change of the Mustang in general. They aren't pushing raw performance numbers, but are rather going after the emotional angle, along with a bit of class and elegance. Look at their latest commercials for example. The one with the exhaust sound, similar to the Lexus LFA add, but with less engineering and more sexiness. They are staying pretty quiet about 0-60 times, handling numbers, lap times, etc. Instead pushing the nostalgia, the history, and the overall fun of the Mustang.

As much as I like numbers, I think these more emotional adds are very effective. Similar to how I don't think Ford needs to brag with the Voodoo, since it doesn't need that.

Anyhow, I could be totally wrong, but it's an interesting discussion about marketing strategy.

p.s.... anyone want to buy a Nissan 370Z so I can put the $$ towards my GT350? ;)
No fair! I need to sell my 350Z first!

-T

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
This article starts off a bit incendiary, but actually has a lot of good technical details on the Voodoo, particularly the valvetrain... https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/flat-plane-silliness-how-crankshaft-press-release-duped-stephen-kim
Interesting read. He got one thing wrong though, when discussing the Cross-Plane Crank: There are actually two occasions where subsequent cylinders fire on the same bank. In his example he cited the 2-6 pair, but he neglected to mention the 3-1 pair (the 1 was the first cylinder fired and the 3 was the last).

In general I think the flat plane crank is an important aspect to the Voodoo engine, and the reason it is mentioned so prominently is because it ties the Voodoo to Ferrari engines in peoples' minds. The benefits of ported cylinder heads and a stiff valve train aren't as accessible as "Hey, we have the same crankshaft design as Ferrari."

Thanks for the link!

-T

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I also hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Ford puts a 5.0 Coyote-variant V8 into trucks as well. The Voodoo is an evolution of the Coyote, soooo there you have it. The GT350 is powered by a truck engine too.
Fail.

You're not bearing bad news... Everyone knows the engine in Ford trucks is 5.0 variant. Everyone here also knows it's a crossplane crank.

Two different engines bro... Viper and Dodge Truck shared the same engine.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah, not sure why so many people bash the Viper and say it's a truck engine? Lamborghini did, after all, design the original V10 engine for the Viper. Just because Dodge stuck the same V10 in a truck doesn't make it a truck engine... or maybe it does? ;)

Another note... the Viper holds the lap record at Laguna Seca (for american production car).

yet another note... My wife's Jeep hits 0-60 in 4 secs (stock)... oh wait, that's another "truck' engine! :doh:

"It's a great time for American Muscle..."

p.s.... anyone want to buy a Nissan 370Z so I can put the $$ towards my GT350? ;)
When I think of a truck engine, I think of a lower RPM engine that makes more torque than HP (good for pulling). The new all aluminum V10 makes 640 HP and 600 ft-lbs, so it escapes that standard, as did the previous design. I would have to go back to 2006 to find the Viper V10 making more torque than HP. To me that previous design was fairly criticized as being more of a truck engine.

I still feel that requiring 8.4 liters to make 640 HP is marginal to classify as a performance engine. It does make its max HP at 6,150 RPM, which is spinning pretty good IMO (I have low standards, being used to typical lazy American design V8s). To me if the max HP is below ~ 5,500 RPM it's more of a truck motor.

I also hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Ford puts a 5.0 Coyote-variant V8 into trucks as well. The Voodoo is an evolution of the Coyote, soooo there you have it. The GT350 is powered by a truck engine too.
I think truck guys would tell you the 5.0 doesn't make enough torque to be a very good truck engine. Yes they put it in a pickup, but that doesn't make it a truck engine. Ford has been putting some winding little V8s into their pickups - not the best setup IMO.

I bought the Ford pickup with the V10 - a true truck engine! :D

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Fail.

You're not bearing bad news... Everyone knows the engine in Ford trucks is 5.0 variant. Everyone here also knows it's a crossplane crank.

The SRT-10 Ram had the Viper engine, but icormba mentioned, the Vipers original 8.0L aluminum V10 was designed by Lamborghini and shares virtually nothing with the cast iron 90s Ram V10.

As far as the 380whp 'bolt on & tune' S65 and 450whp strokers, IIRC those cars don't have cats. I'm sure the Voodoo will pick up quite a bit of power with straight pipes and more with long tube headers (which the s65 has from the factory).

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
The SRT-10 Ram had the Viper engine, but icormba mentioned, the Vipers original 8.0L aluminum V10 was designed by Lamborghini and shares virtually nothing with the cast iron 90s Ram V10.

As far as the 380whp 'bolt on & tune' S65 and 450whp strokers, IIRC those cars don't have cats. I'm sure the Voodoo will pick up quite a bit of power with straight pipes and more with long tube headers (which the s65 has from the factory).
I don't know if you would technically classify then as a long tube or not. They're really an optimized design stock for the cars power curve. That there is not much room for improvement. And it comes with cats stock. But I think you were referring to the stroker with the no cat thing?

Poki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R, BMW 328i
For street driving, does the GT350R have enough ground clearance to go over speed bumps and water diversion channels?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
This article starts off a bit incendiary, but actually has a lot of good technical details on the Voodoo, particularly the valvetrain... https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/flat-plane-silliness-how-crankshaft-press-release-duped-stephen-kim
I saw this on I think Baer Brake's Facebook page. The article brings up some reasonable points but also at the same time, who cares if Ford marketed it well and did something different? Props to them. And it's not like it doesn't work or fails to accomplish the powertrain's overall mission.

Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
For street driving, does the GT350R have enough ground clearance to go over speed bumps and water diversion channels?
I think the user's manual mentions something about this...approaching at 45 degree angle, etc.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I don't know if you would technically classify then as a long tube or not. They're really an optimized design stock for the cars power curve. That there is not much room for improvement. And it comes with cats stock. But I think you were referring to the stroker with the no cat thing?

I don't know how you couldn't call that a long tube. It does not get much better than that equal-length 'long tube' for a production header. Most aftermarket attempts have not made more power than the stock S65 header.

To get 380whp on an S65 (and i'm sure in the 440whp stroker ratings), you need to remove the cats.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
I don't know how you couldn't call that a long tube. It does not get much better than that equal-length 'long tube' for a production header. Most aftermarket attempts have not made more power than the stock S65 header.

To get 380whp on an S65 (and i'm sure in the 440whp stroker ratings), you need to remove the cats.
Yeah I'm not disagreeing I just didn't know what the technical definition of a "long tube" was. Like if the collector needed to be a certain length away from the beginning of the primary or something. Or if equal length and long tube were the same thing for all intents and purposes.

Isn't there equal length shorty headers too?

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Fail.

You say potato, I say potato. Bro.
Sponsored