Sponsored

How the GT350 Voodoo REALLY stacks up against the competition

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
This was my question to Matt Farah with The Smoking Tire after he drove the GT350:

Matt I have one on order right now. Does this differ from other 8k RPM cars? (E92 M3, Audi RS5, etc) in terms of sound and feel or is this a different animal? I know those don't have the torque figures that the 350 has, but how would you describe the sound and feel at redline?

His response:

The closest engine I can think of is the Dinan 4.6 Stroker engine for the E92 M3. Similar power figures too

I recalled a not so flattering article on the Dinan stroker, so I dug it up on the Google machine. Not impressed for $26,000+ and a $10,000 core charge. Hopefully, it was a tuning issue that was sorted out like Dinan suggested.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849797

For around that price, Livernois builds 600whp NA Coyote motors with dry sump systems. They'll spin up to 8200RPM as well. I keep in touch with a guy that has one in his Boss 302 that he road races in competition.

This'n:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445739647.863971.jpg

If memory serves, he's sitting at 12.5:1 compression, has custom CNCed and hand finished heads with larger valves, huge cams, custom spec lightened rods and pistons, and 3.7" bore (makes it 5.2). Runs on 93@555whp or E85@572whp.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Power loading.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
While GM just basically takes its Corvette motor and just drops it into the Camaro, yes its cheaper to do it this way. If I owned a Corvette though I would be a tad bummed that my motor is now shared with a Camaro.
Think the Camaro will, in return, share some of its mullet appeal?

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
I'd really like to see these same lists with the Z28 and SS added for reference AND I'd like to see lists that show power to weight (lbs/WHP) and HP/$.

Sponsored

kiwiford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Falcon 302, Mazda MPV V6
What I want to know is, why oh why is FORD claiming it only as Ford's most powerful production V8. Is there some mystery Chev or Chrysler engine with more NA POWER, that has been measured in the modern way ??!!

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
What I want to know is, why oh why is FORD claiming it only as Ford's most powerful production V8. Is there some mystery Chev or Chrysler engine with more NA POWER, that has been measured in the modern way ??!!
The Ferrari 458 had 570hp

ohmy350

Threads
Reaction score

I'm with kiwiford on this. Is there an AMERICAN made car that has EVER been made, naturally aspirated, with more HP? If not, why wouldn't Ford tout that?

It could be argued that Chevy's L88 produced more, but I think others should chime in on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
I'm with kiwiford on this. Is there an AMERICAN made car that has EVER been made, naturally aspirated, with more HP? If not, why wouldn't Ford tout that?
Maybe because it would draw attention to the fact that more powerful non-american v8 existed, and would make the shelby look like a cheapo also-ran?

Sponsored
OP
OP
krt22

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

It could be argued that Chevy's L88 produced more, but I think others should chime in on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
For a v8, i dont think so, at least not in a production car. Perhaps ford wanted folks to draw this conclusion on their own or left it out since they weren't just aiming at american competition

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
For a v8, i dont think so, at least not in a production car. Perhaps ford wanted folks to draw this conclusion on their own or left it out since they weren't just aiming at american competition

Agreed - the performance of the motor digs so far into the exotic realm, why restrict the marketing to focusing on domestic only. People will figure that out for themselves.

roadace1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Yeah Man, just wait till guys throw some 4:10s or 4:30s at these 8200rpm motors.

Derk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
Yea, I chuckle at the GM truck commercials that have to say "class leading V8..." because the Ecoboost V6 is rated higher in said category.