Sponsored

how noticeable is 100 torque on a car ?

Fenrir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Actually one of the most fun cars I’ve ever had. Slow as a turd in a straight line. You could bang shifts off at redline in the first 3 gears and never even draw a look from the police. But auto cross and winding twisting roads were fun! Tail of the Dragon in a Miata was incredible. Maybe not the fastest through it, but it was always entertaining!

Sounds like you were probably also a good driver. Plenty of cars in the right hands (skill) prove to be good on a track. I just don't respect the drag game. It goes to whoever has the biggest bank account. That's not what I call skill. I've done it a few times, it was definitely fun, but I don't feel like it's a skill.
Sponsored

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
That’s why they rate transmissions for torque and not HP. 10R80 is rated for 800 ft-lbs. You could theoretically put 15k hp though the thing if you could spin the engine 100k rpms.
I thought it was rated for 800 newton meters which is only 590 ft-lbs... but I've been wrong before

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Sounds like you were probably also a good driver. Plenty of cars in the right hands (skill) prove to be good on a track. I just don't respect the drag game. It goes to whoever has the biggest bank account. That's not what I call skill. I've done it a few times, it was definitely fun, but I don't feel like it's a skill.
They’re both fun! Exhilarating for sure. But different...

The Miata was my daily driver. My other car was a fox body street / strip car. Supercharged caged stick car. Both had their place.

Sponsored

Fenrir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They’re both fun! Exhilarating for sure. But different...

The Miata was my daily driver. My other car was a fox body street / strip car. Supercharged caged stick car. Both had their place.

Strip days are fun. I just don't feel like there was much for me to grow into once I learned to launch and had the money to throw power onto the vehicle. I think both require a financial commitment, one up front more than the other. But money only takes you so far on a track. I've seen people with a ton of time invested in track cars and still have less than optimal lap times. But 1200 HP at the strip in any pair of steady hands is still 1200 HP.

100 torque like everyone else has said should definitely be noticeable - but unless its happening at the right time it won't make all the difference.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
You like to throw shade alot. Must be one of them lil boys. Keep on trollin fella.
dont get sensitive on me after coming in here with the drag racing comments.

Fenrir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dont get sensitive on me after coming in here with the drag racing comments.
Sensitive is hearing someone doesn't like what you clearly love (noticing you flaunt that 9 second run in your signature.) and trying to insult a car I don't have "14 seconds" on a forum. Sensitive's the right word, just the wrong direction. If you love it, that's great. I didn't feel like it required out of me what it did out of you. It definitely was an upfront heavy investment and I felt like I grew very little as a driver from it. My goal with the Mustang is very different because I feel like I grow far more from the track versus the strip.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Simplest possible answer is this:
Torque is what motivates your car. Make as much of it as you need in the areas you need it, horsepower will follow.

Drag guys will try and sustain as much torque as possible as high into the rpm as possible whilst others may seek other options for a different kind of fun.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The simplest way to explain it is that ultimately it's power that determines how much energy/time is imparted onto a system.

Torque is useful because it's what creates the force/acceleration but can be overcome with gearing and torque multiplication with pretty severe limitations.

A car with 1000 hp and 100 ft-lbs of torque can be made to be fast through additional gearing (i.e. keeping it multiplied with a zillion gears). A car with 100 hp, and 1000 ft-lb of torque has plenty of push for acceleration but no ability to sustain/lengthen it.

To a limited degree, lack of torque can be corrected with gears. A motor with big torque and less power is great for pulling stumps and trailers and pushing dirt, but not great for speed.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
its-not-how-you-stand-by-your-car-its-how-you-race-your-car.jpg

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
The simplest way to explain it is that ultimately it's power that determines how much energy/time is imparted onto a system.

Torque is useful because it's what creates the force/acceleration but can be overcome with gearing and torque multiplication with pretty severe limitations.

A car with 1000 hp and 100 ft-lbs of torque can be made to be fast through additional gearing (i.e. keeping it multiplied with a zillion gears). A car with 100 hp, and 1000 ft-lb of torque has plenty of push for acceleration but no ability to sustain/lengthen it.

To a limited degree, lack of torque can be corrected with gears. A motor with big torque and less power is great for pulling stumps and trailers and pushing dirt, but not great for speed.
funny and true

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Your analogy is correct, but we’re talking about a given car/engine here. Ergo, the gears are dictated as is the rpm cap (depending on the bravery of the owner).
So, if you want to rev the car to 8000rpm in pursuit of huge horsepower, it remains true that you need to be making as much torque at that rpm as is possible if you want to make as much power as possible.
It’s inescapably true.
You even said so much yourself when you mentioned the extra rpm giving you the ability to hold onto TORQUE multiplication for longer...
In it’s simplest form, if you want to make 1000hp at 8000rpm, you have to be making 656/657ft-lb of torque at that rpm. Period.
Want to make the same power with less revs? You’re going to need MORE TORQUE. Willing to rev the car harder? You can afford to give up some torque.
Sponsored

Last edited: