Sponsored

How is traction with a centri setup on street tires?

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
I used to have Paxton 2200 on my Corvette and I was just watching a dyno video of Mustang 15 with Paxton.

Both (my car and this GT) showed that you get 5 psi at 5000 RPM. This is good and bad.

It's good because it gives you time to get traction and not to much load on engine in low RPM.

It's bad because for street driving, say below 5000 RPM, you barely feel any added power to your car. It used to frustrate me, because after all the money I spent (with LT header), the car didn't show much power on the street.

It's great for racing to get to 7000 RPM, but for street, under 5000, it it doesn't show any juice.
Maybe mine is a fluke but I feel power after 2k.
Sponsored

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
Maybe mine is a fluke but I feel power after 2k.
I like to see your dyno graph to see how much TQ you're getting in that RPM. At 2000 not only you're barely making boost to have more power, you're also adding parasitic/load on the engine which should feel a bit more sluggish before the power begins to build.
When my car was N/A, at 2500 it was very responsive. Once I put the Paxton on, at 2500 felt like a drag on the engine (lost the responsiveness) and was not making any real boost yet.

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
When I get a dyno graph I'll post it up. Here's what I do know. Applying throttle in 2nd gear would hardly chirp the tires, now they fully break loose at just a little below 4K. I easily use 4 k rpm every time I drive the car. So I feel the power.

OP
OP
Moddiction

Moddiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I'm guessing any of the pd blowers would have much worse traction issues?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
In the summer I'll have traction in every gear other than first. Centri blowers are very controllable on the street. Love the way power ramps in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sponsored

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
In the summer I'll have traction in every gear other than first. Centri blowers are very controllable on the street. Love the way power ramps in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I have the same Procharger kit waiting to on in the Spring so I'll be playing this traction game soon

OP
OP
Moddiction

Moddiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Any of you have the 3.73 gears? I have those since I got the pp.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Yep I've got the 3.73 gears. You'll need wider and stickier rubber than stock but I don't think DRs are a necessity.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
I leave the traction control on for day to day driving. It intervenes in first and second gear but third on up the car pulls like a freight train.

OP
OP
Moddiction

Moddiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Hmm now I'm conflicted.

Thinking I'd have to run drag slicks recently I started thinking I'll just do headers, gt350 IM, and TB and tune to keep things simple. From these comments traction doesn't seem to be as big of a deal as I thought. Hmm making it tough! Haha

Sponsored

Sixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Moddiction, if you have the money and want to stay NA, I say get the GT350 heads, upgraded pistons, and whatever else is needed for the swap along with the GT350 intake manifold and throttle body. I bet with headers, intake, full exhaust system, and tune it will get you into the 550+ range to the wheels and you can add cams down the line if you want. I would get billet oil pump gears too.

Scroll down to the picture with the dyno numbers.

http://www.enginelabs.com/features/...rd-racings-new-5-2-coyote-crate-engine-a52xs/

isedawishy

GTPPTT6REIGHTY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I've got 3:73 and a centri.

Warm weather on stock tires I could hook in 3rd. Once it got cooler I could not hook in 4th. Kind of sketchy getting sideways at highway speeds.

Since then have installed an rxt clutch, aluminium DS, halfshafts and 305 et streets. I haven't pushed it in 1st since I'm still in the break in period but I do have traction in 2nd now at least.

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
Moddiction, if you have the money and want to stay NA, I say get the GT350 heads, upgraded pistons, and whatever else is needed for the swap along with the GT350 intake manifold and throttle body. I bet with headers, intake, full exhaust system, and tune it will get you into the 550+ range to the wheels and you can add cams down the line if you want. I would get billet oil pump gears too.

Scroll down to the picture with the dyno numbers.

http://www.enginelabs.com/features/...rd-racings-new-5-2-coyote-crate-engine-a52xs/
I really like this idea and the car will breath nicer too.

Grim12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
I am thinking of possibly getting a centri blower for my mustang Gt.

I originally was wanting to go with NA bolt ons as I'm trying to make this an all around sports car not just a power monster.

I am thinking maybe a low boost centri setup could work well though.

I definitely do not want to run drag slicks. Performance summer tires I would but don't want to sacrifice handling with the tires for slicks.

How is the traction with the centri blowers? Anyone run a bigger pulley to run less boost and only make maybe 500whp-550whp or so?

700whp wouldn't do me any good if I just spin through 4th gear.

I think NA bolt ons would get me close to price as a centri setup all said and done to get near 474-500whp NA.
I am in the same boat as you (except for not owning my car yet!) Overall performance, including handling and driveablility is more important to me than a 9 second timeslip.
After much deliberation my power game looks like this (I think, lol):
GT 350 intake
Mak Cat delete or headers
Intake
Tune
Little bit of weight reduction

This should satisfy me for at least a couple of years

Then reevaluate. Continue down the N/A path with cams or GT350 heads or go power adder. Centri being the easier choice so I can keep the GT350 manifold.
Sponsored