How much power in a V6?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I love the GT, but really 435 hp is a bit overkill. Not interested in getting a ticket. On the test drive the GT went from 0-jail really fast! If I decide on getting the Mustang, I'm thinking V6, 3.55, manual transmission, 051A package, rear spoiler delete, then an aftermarket exhaust that isn't too crazy loud but with good tone and something like the Steeda springs and sway bar kit. I think that would make a fun, reasonably priced DD.
I've been thinking of exactly the same package myself.
Sponsored

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
I admit to having turbo envy, but not enough to pay an extra C$9K for the EB convertible.

haven't test driven yet but fairly sure I'm going with the V6 convertible.
base with the 3.55 axle and 18" wheels, but
which is the best way to get the wheels ? and thinking Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

Equipment Group 051A for the 18" etc cost is C$1,000 about US$875 plus tax.
the 17" tires are AllSeason, but nothing listed about the tires on the 18" rims, AllSeason ?
or
is it better to go with the 17" and buy rims and tires aftermarket ?
051A 18" are UHPA/S Tires ... either Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric or Pirelli P Nero Zeros.

Both are decent tires however the GY are the better of the two per Tire Rack Survey ... # 3 rated vs. # 8.

The 051A package wheels are an option on all V6, EB, & GT ... V6 & EB are supposed to get the Goodyear's and GT's are supposed to get the Pirelli's but there have been some V6/EB seen with the Pirelli's.

I replaced my OEM P-Nero Zero's on my 2011 with these exact Goodyears after I swapped my winter wheels on last fall. Put almost 11K miles on them this year and they are wearing MUCH BETTER than the Pirelli's did (only got 45k out of them before they were done).

Doug

Sixer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Hi Doug, thanks for replying.

what's the chance of me ordering the Michelin Pilot Super Sport from Ford ? price is nearly
the same as the Goodyear and $89 cheaper than the Pirellis.
one dealer said they provide 'free tires for life' which sounds like a good deal for Summers.

Tire Survey Results - 27 tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

reduced list for 235/50/18 tiress:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...tio=50&diameter=18&showwp=N&showdp=N&showcm=N

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Had to bump my thread to ask a question:

Does anyone have an idea how much longer Ford will keep the V6 around?

Of Wolf and Man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT
My guess would be not for long. If it makes it through the mid cycle refresh I would be surprised.

Have you thought about adding a nitrous kit to your v6? That would give you the extra HP boost when you wanted it, and might be cost effective.

Sponsored

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
My guess would be not for long. If it makes it through the mid cycle refresh I would be surprised.

Have you thought about adding a nitrous kit to your v6? That would give you the extra HP boost when you wanted it, and might be cost effective.
I don't have a V6 or a Mustang yet, I'm trying to figure this all out now, so when I'm ready to buy one in a year or so, I know exactly what I want to do. I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready, the '16 will either still have a V6; if not, either I order a '15 at the last minute, or save up for a GT '16-17 and be done with it. The more information, the better!

I'm hoping for at least 2016-17.

But my thoughts on nitrous? I wouldn't do that, I want the power all the time, not in shots.

Of Wolf and Man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT
Im sure that a used V6 2015 will be a good price in a year or so, or at the end of the year when the 16s come in.

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Im sure that a used V6 2015 will be a good price in a year or so, or at the end of the year when the 16s come in.
Maybe, but seeing how it appears how very few manuals are being sold, I doubt I'd find one I want; and seeing how I made a compromise to get an ST, this time around, no compromises.:thumbsup:
Sponsored