How much power in a V6?

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Exactly how much power can be had with the 3.7? I've been looking around, but nothing comes up. What is the motor rated at, what's the most that can be had out of the motor reliably and at it's limits?

Also, how much power could be had with nothing but basic bolt-ons, no forced induction involved? Whenever I finally make up my mind on what I want, I'd like to see how much power can be had on nothing but a naturally aspirated setup with bolt-ons only.

I ask this because, the motor is basically unchanged and carried over form the previous car, so I figured this would/could be a simple question.

Also, I read that the previous-gen V6 had an issue with exploding driveshafts, were they improved or fixed for the S550?
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
People are pulling about 400RWHP with a supercharger and are driving it daily with no issues. I have seen up to 450 but I am not sure if they had any supporting internal modifications or not. I would say you can expect a reliable 400RWHP or about 450hp at the crank with a basic supercharger kit.

As for bolt ons... Long tube headers, bbk throttle body, cold air intake, off-road exhaust system, and a 93 octane tune can produce about 315RWHP and 290 lb/ft of torque. At the crank thats about 350hp and 320 lb/ft.

PS: Youtube is your friend here.

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
People are pulling about 400RWHP with a supercharger and are driving it daily with no issues. I have seen up to 450 but I am not sure if they had any supporting internal modifications or not. I would say you can expect a reliable 400RWHP or about 450hp at the crank with a basic supercharger kit.

As for bolt ons... Long tube headers, bbk throttle body, cold air intake, off-road exhaust system, and a 93 octane tune can produce about 315RWHP and 290 lb/ft of torque. At the crank thats about 350hp and 320 lb/ft.

PS: Youtube is your friend here.
Hmm 315/290? There must be some magical way to do more! Not to say that it's bad, I might be a bit too ambitious with my dreams. :(

In my head, I would like to create the most powerful and reliable N/A V6 possible without internal mods, I was thinking somewhere between 350-400whp. Then again, that's GT territory and GT money even to try that it seems.

Makes a GT sound more logical. Does a supercharger add any stress on the motor, being a belt-driven system?

Sixer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
there was a change to the manifold on the '15 engine,
would that make any difference if one were using '14 model mods, tunes etc ?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Sixer:

Yes the intake manifold was changed but we have yet to see how that actually changed performance if any. The 5hp loss from what I can see is because ford tested the v6 on 87 instead of 93. This was a marketing attempt to make the Ecoboost look better.

K-Roll302:

If you want to go more in depth with your bolt ons your lower 350rwhp goal might not be to hard to accomplish. A ported upper and lower intake manifold might get you pretty close. Say around 330-340rwhp with all the previous bolt ons mentioned.

As with any type of forced induction you are going to be adding more stress to a stock engine. There is no way around that. Belt driven superchargers will need a certain amount of hp to drive them just like any other belt driven accessory. Just look at the hellcat for example! It takes around 80hp to drive it's supercharger!

Sponsored

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Sixer:
K-Roll302:

If you want to go more in depth with your bolt ons your lower 350rwhp goal might not be to hard to accomplish. A ported upper and lower intake manifold might get you pretty close. Say around 330-340rwhp with all the previous bolt ons mentioned.

As with any type of forced induction you are going to be adding more stress to a stock engine. There is no way around that. Belt driven superchargers will need a certain amount of hp to drive them just like any other belt driven accessory. Just look at the hellcat for example! It takes around 80hp to drive it's supercharger!
How much more in-depth would I need to go, and any idea how much I'd be spending to achieve those numbers? The ported intake especially if it's my closest bet.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
How much more in-depth would I need to go, and any idea how much I'd be spending to achieve those numbers? The ported intake especially if it's my closest bet.
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_pdf/3.8_4.2/SSM2013Cyclonecatrev3IntakeManifolds.pdf :thumbsup:

You could even go with ported cylinder heads as well.

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_pdf/3.8_4.2/SSM2013Cyclonecatrev1CylinderHeads.pdf

With everything I think you could be looking at around $2000-$4000 depending on if you get the cylinder heads.

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_pdf/3.8_4.2/SSM2013Cyclonecatrev3IntakeManifolds.pdf :thumbsup:

You could even go with ported cylinder heads as well.

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_pdf/3.8_4.2/SSM2013Cyclonecatrev1CylinderHeads.pdf

With everything I think you could be looking at around $2000-$4000 depending on if you get the cylinder heads.
I'm sold then, so long as these work on the S550, a V6 will be all I need to be happy! And these are all the mods I'll need to be satisfied.

Now, will the 330-350 be with or without a tune; and if not, would an additional tune add extra power and torque?

But it's great to know what I can potentially do!:thumbsup:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I'm sold then, so long as these work on the S550, a V6 will be all I need to be happy! And these are all the mods I'll need to be satisfied.

Now, will the 330-350 be with or without a tune; and if not, would an additional tune add extra power and torque?

But it's great to know what I can potentially do!:thumbsup:
Well with all of the above mods I think a tune would be mandatory. So the 330-350 is including the tune. The final numbers would of course depend on the quality of the tune. So you could potentially produce more then 330-350 with a quality tune.

The cylinder heads and lower intake should be a direct fit for the 15. The upper intake is what has changed. You would need to send them your current intake to port as the 14 intake will probably not fit under the hood of our 15's.

DeColores

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB DD V6 w UltraGripICE THULE Chains
IMHO the V6 Mustsng is perfect the way she is. Perfectly balance in braking and power, a sheer joy to drive, the paddle shifters adds a lot to handling the twisteys like a said a sheer joy. Ford did a great job. Adding more power to the v6 seems without all the other GT attributes you would lose that balance and your warrantee.

That said if you do amp the v6, I can't wait to see what you do with it.

DeColores

Sponsored

superdave592

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 v6 3.55
IMHO the V6 Mustsng is perfect the way she is. Perfectly balance in braking and power, a sheer joy to drive, the paddle shifters adds a lot to handling the twisteys like a said a sheer joy. Ford did a great job. Adding more power to the v6 seems without all the other GT attributes you would lose that balance and your warrantee.

That said if you do amp the v6, I can't wait to see what you do with it.

DeColores
I ordered a V6 3.55 gears this will be great for me. If you need more power than that get it stock from the factory. Modifying a new car and risking the warranty resale value and POSSIBLELY the daily driveability is a mistake imho. Above all else be safe out there leave your hiperformance on the strip or track

Davisflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mini Cooper S JCW
I love the GT, but really 435 hp is a bit overkill. Not interested in getting a ticket. On the test drive the GT went from 0-jail really fast! If I decide on getting the Mustang, I'm thinking V6, 3.55, manual transmission, 051A package, rear spoiler delete, then an aftermarket exhaust that isn't too crazy loud but with good tone and something like the Steeda springs and sway bar kit. I think that would make a fun, reasonably priced DD.

superdave592

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 v6 3.55
I love the GT, but really 435 hp is a bit overkill. Not interested in getting a ticket. On the test drive the GT went from 0-jail really fast! If I decide on getting the Mustang, I'm thinking V6, 3.55, manual transmission, 051A package, rear spoiler delete, then an aftermarket exhaust that isn't too crazy loud but with good tone and something like the Steeda springs and sway bar kit. I think that would make a fun, reasonably priced DD.
Right on Davisflyer that mustang would be more affordable.. not take a big insurance hit.. gas mileage hit.. not have the 19-20's heavy wheels.. and handle well. You could drive it not having to prove anything look at me I have a GT or my turbos put out more pressure than yours and you mayeven live thru it because your weren't going kill me instant speeds.:shocked:

Sixer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I admit to having turbo envy, but not enough to pay an extra C$9K for the EB convertible.

haven't test driven yet but fairly sure I'm going with the V6 convertible.
base with the 3.55 axle and 18" wheels, but
which is the best way to get the wheels ? and thinking Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

Equipment Group 051A for the 18" etc cost is C$1,000 about US$875 plus tax.
the 17" tires are AllSeason, but nothing listed about the tires on the 18" rims, AllSeason ?
or
is it better to go with the 17" and buy rims and tires aftermarket ?
Sponsored