Sponsored

How many of you switched from manual to auto with the 2018+?

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I went the other way. I had a 13 GT with the 6 speed auto and I loved it, so if the A10 is as good as everyone says, well I'm just sorry it didn't come in the PP2. While this isn't my first manual, It's been so long since driving one that it's almost like learning all over. I know the auto is faster, and really better overall over the manual, but I kinda like the manual; it's fun. Would be even nicer if it was a tremec.
Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
30 years of manuals and this is my first Auto. First off the main reason is where I live it is very common almost daily common for there to be 6 to 12 mile back ups. sometimes you can drive clear across the country and never get about 35 mph. That was it I was sick of a manual in this stop and go clutch clutch clutch traffic. Then I researched and came across a thread here where someone asked what should they get a manual or a auto on a new mustang and surprisingly the responses were almost 100 percent get the auto they are amazing. So I said the heck with it im getting an auto Mustang. I almost felt shame... until I drove it. God it is so nice not to have to shift and clutch 700 times on the way home any more. And as for response yeah the manuals can't touch the autos. I don't regret it one bit. At least till I go to a show and someone asks if I can drive a manual. Then I have to go in to my I drove them for 30 years speech...LOL PLus now I can drive and still hold my drink cup, no more hand dance with cup wheel and shifter.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I had a manual 03 gt, then a manual 2011 gt, then a manual 2009 cts-v then an auto 2018 gt and I love it more than any of the prior cars. I paddle shift 95% of the time though. without the control I wouldnt like it.

Shadow5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT, 1998 Pontiac Trans Am
I have been so torn over this topic myself lately. All my previous cars have been stick shift. A 98 Trans Am, a G35 and my 16 GT have all been stick shift. I remember back in my high school days when I saw a muscle car in automatic I thought that was disgusting. Moving on to today I see automatics very differently. I recently got rid of my 16 GT for an 18 GT A10. The car is awesome. It's fast. I really enjoy using the paddle shifters on back roads. It is pretty fun. But on the other hand, I find myself missing the stick shift. I sometimes wonder if I made a mistake by getting rid of my 16 GT. I loved it, especially with a new manifold I was able to rev it up to 7,900 to 8,000 rpm. And then plus the stick shift, it was awesome! Anyway long story short. I now have the A10 and it is fun but sometimes I get a little bored when I'm driving. But again I really love my new 18 GT. It looks super slick but I'm still very torn about the transmission. Honestly I don't know how long I will last with this new car but for now it will do the job. I have also been thinking about saving up more money and just trade her in for a used 16 Shelby GT350. I don't know. Anyway that's my two cents on the topic. A10's are awesome but yes I really do miss the stick shift experience.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
Well, I did the opposite. Went from the auto in my 2015 GT to stick in my 2018 GT. I just missed the whole experience of rowing the gears. Don’t regret it at all! For me it is just part of the point of having a sports car in the first place.

Sponsored

B4RK3R

CRWDCTRL
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GT Premium
I switched from a 2016 manual to a 2018 auto after I had nothing but trouble out of my MT82. when putting it into first, it would go into reverse. If that happened 1st and 2nd gear locked out, and rolling off in third was difficult at best. Funny thing is it didn't happen all the time, but enough to annoy me. Ford "cOuLdNt RePlIcAtE It" therefore refused to fix it. So I traded it back to them for an 18 auto and let it be their problem. I recently drove a GT350 and absolutely miss rowing gears. I told myself while driving it that if Ford ever put a decent tranny in the mustang, I would go back to driving a manual, or just buy a used GT350 lol.

thecheff22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Did the opposite, 2017 auto to 2019 manual, makes driving so much more fun.

crewdawg16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kona Blue Focus ST3, 2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP1
Just curious how many hard-core manual guys came from a manual to the 10R80? Myself, i've driven nothing but manual since i started driving, however the 10R80 convinced me after 22 years of driving that it really is a worthwhile competitor to a manual. I was 'that guy' who vowed to never drive an automatic.. but somehow, here i am.. enjoying it about 90% of the time.

Also with that being said, do any of you miss shifting? I still find myself looking for a clutch pedal and sometimes miss the forceful shove backwards by a physically induced power shift vs. a paddle shifter press.. but i will say that as good as I consider myself to be in slamming my own gears, there is no possible way i could ever do it faster than the new automatics! The numbers don't lie... but I do have to admit it feels like a bit of the driving experience is missing sometimes.

Anyway, just wanted to see what everyone else thought that went through the same transformation.
I test drove both and ordered my car as a manual. I switched it to the A10 before it was built after reading the horror stories of the MT-82. I'd have a manual if they would just put the T56 in it.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
I’ve had zero problems with the MT-82. I hear a lot of grief about it that I think is unjustified. I find it easy to shift, crisp and precise. I test drove a 350 and found the Tremec a little harder to shift. I guess that means I’m not a race car driver, lol.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I didn't switch from a manual to an auto this time but I went from a crappy auto to a really good one in the A10. The 6 speed auto in my 2013 Camaro SS was never close to this one in terms of the shift logic, shift speed or anything for that matter. And the way this thing downshifts in Sport+ gives me goosebumps sometimes lol. I drove manuals as a younger guy for quite a long time and I just tired of them honestly. I don't get hung up on which trans type is better as I feel that is a personal choice each of us has so there is no right or wrong answer to that one. But I have no regrets with my decision on this car.

Sponsored

NotQuik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
It was a VERY tough decision, but I jumped on the A10 band wagon after several months contemplating the two. Car isn't a DD and I really haven't driven it much to know if I truly like it or not but first impressions are certainly on the positive side. I have had auto mustangs and done 5 speed swaps for obvious reasons.

However, I certainly think it'll be a lot more fun after the go fast goodies go on!

ammoman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ammo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium, PP1, Manual, Magneride
I drove the A10 first, and while it was fast, it just wasn't engaging enough. And IMHO 10 gears is just too much! If you are cruising on the highway at 55 MPH in 10th gear and you want to downshift into 3rd for a quick pass, you have to count each click of the paddle and hope you didn't do 8 clicks instead of 7! Or you could just floor it and wait for the computer to realize you are no longer cruising and it needs to downshift for you.

With the 6-speed, when I'm cruising in 6th gear and need to pass someone, I downshift straight into 3rd and floor it. No delay, no counting clicks, just speed! And if I'm putting around at 45 MPH, I can immediately drop it into 2nd gear and really fly! (redline in 2nd gear is about 64 MPH)

Because I drove the A10 first, I was seriously hesitant about purchasing ANY Mustang GT. (I rented one for a week while on a business trip). Luckily a few months later I decided to take a test drive in the manual. World of difference! I knew this was a car I could enjoy driving!

Having said all that, I work from home so I have no commute. I also live outside a small town of around 10k people, so there is no traffic to worry about. If I had a long commute in a lot of traffic, I might feel differently. But living where I live, and driving how I drive, even if the A10 was a full second faster on the 1/4 mile I still wouldn't switch!

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I drove the A10 first, and while it was fast, it just wasn't engaging enough. And IMHO 10 gears is just too much! If you are cruising on the highway at 55 MPH in 10th gear and you want to downshift into 3rd for a quick pass, you have to count each click of the paddle and hope you didn't do 8 clicks instead of 7! Or you could just floor it and wait for the computer to realize you are no longer cruising and it needs to downshift for you.

With the 6-speed, when I'm cruising in 6th gear and need to pass someone, I downshift straight into 3rd and floor it. No delay, no counting clicks, just speed! And if I'm putting around at 45 MPH, I can immediately drop it into 2nd gear and really fly! (redline in 2nd gear is about 64 MPH)

Because I drove the A10 first, I was seriously hesitant about purchasing ANY Mustang GT. (I rented one for a week while on a business trip). Luckily a few months later I decided to take a test drive in the manual. World of difference! I knew this was a car I could enjoy driving!

Having said all that, I work from home so I have no commute. I also live outside a small town of around 10k people, so there is no traffic to worry about. If I had a long commute in a lot of traffic, I might feel differently. But living where I live, and driving how I drive, even if the A10 was a full second faster on the 1/4 mile I still wouldn't switch!
I am not trying to imply you made the wrong decision, as it's all personal, I just want to point out what I think are a couple of things that are different about driving the A10 than is mentioned in your post.

If you're driving down the highway in 10th, you can usually get a good boost by downshifting to 7th or so, so it's just three flicks on the paddles to get there. You can also floor the throttle, release it, and floor it again and the trans will immediately drop to the lowest gear for that speed, so you're not really waiting for the computer to figure it out, and both of those things probably happen in about the same time it would take to downshift a manual. If the trans is in Sport mode, it usually figures out what to do quickly, and again is probably about as fast as a manual downshift, but it's not a direct command like the other two options.

If you're driving on a twisty road, or even on a track, you'll probably never use 9th or 10th, since they're overdrive gears for better gas mileage. When I'm on a twisty road, I'm usually shifting between 4th and 8th at most, and often just between 5th and 7th, so it's just a two or three shifts, and there's not much chance of losing count.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
My switch had more to do with how awful the tranny is than how great the A10 is. If I had gone with the Camaro I would have stayed manual. But in the end I don't miss it at all. No difference in "fun" for me.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
My switch had more to do with how awful the tranny is than how great the A10 is. If I had gone with the Camaro I would have stayed manual. But in the end I don't miss it at all. No difference in "fun" for me.
This is always the thing I don’t understand about the manual vs auto fight. The manual guys say it’s just so much more fun. I don’t get that feeling at all either. And I’ve owned both thru out the years.
Sponsored