Sponsored

How many of you switched from manual to auto with the 2018+?

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Just curious how many hard-core manual guys came from a manual to the 10R80? Myself, i've driven nothing but manual since i started driving, however the 10R80 convinced me after 22 years of driving that it really is a worthwhile competitor to a manual. I was 'that guy' who vowed to never drive an automatic.. but somehow, here i am.. enjoying it about 90% of the time.

Also with that being said, do any of you miss shifting? I still find myself looking for a clutch pedal and sometimes miss the forceful shove backwards by a physically induced power shift vs. a paddle shifter press.. but i will say that as good as I consider myself to be in slamming my own gears, there is no possible way i could ever do it faster than the new automatics! The numbers don't lie... but I do have to admit it feels like a bit of the driving experience is missing sometimes.

Anyway, just wanted to see what everyone else thought that went through the same transformation.
Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I test drove an A10, but just couldn't give up the fun of a manual even though it's at least 1/2 second slower in the 1/4 mile. Funny thing during our test drive of the A10, my wife said, "You wouldn't really consider getting an automatic in this car would you?" The grin on both our faces after test driving the manual said it all. It's not always about what's faster, it's more about what you enjoy. As far as I'm concerned, they can just bury me with 3 pedals in my coffin.

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP A10
My '88 and '01 were both manuals and I never thought I'd switch to an auto in a performance car..but the numbers don't lie..and everytime I drive in stop and go traffic...I celebrate my decision...I do pop it in neutral quite a bit though at lights and such

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
My '88 and '01 were both manuals and I never thought I'd switch to an auto in a performance car..but the numbers don't lie..and everytime I drive in stop and go traffic...I celebrate my decision...I do pop it in neutral quite a bit though at lights and such
I’m in a similar boat. I love manuals but really just on short jonts or weekend road trips. Otherwise automatic. I feel shame stating this but it is what it is.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I want an automatic slush box. For the life of me, I can not understand why one doesn't exists...

Sponsored

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
I sold my 2013 GT Track Pac with mt6 and got a 2019 GT PP1 A10. No comparison. Both on the road and the track, the A10 is easier to use and I would say faster. You do need to learn when to intervene and use paddle shifters.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I had a '13 Roush Stage 3 with the MT-82 and currently have the 10R80 in my '19 Roush Stage 3.
I LOVE the A10 transmission. Shifts fast and very "stealth" mode, if you will. The A10 in Sport+ mode is beastly though.
I do miss the manual once in a while.

OrangeFury1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Had a fox body, a mach 1 and a 13 5.0.. Always hated auto, when the new A10 came out, I really wanted to try it. I drove one and really wasn't too "Excited" with it. Either way, I flew to Michigan and bought my car, its funny because as I was flying there I thought to myself "am I even going to like the auto?"..

Well, its been a few months since I bought my A10, I LOVE this car. They respond so well to mods, its crazy! One thing I do miss is being able to just pop the clutch in and rev. I also miss the nice loud popping every time you downshift, I don't really get that with the A10.

However, I do NOT regret switching to Auto. The car is so quick with very little effort.

Roman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2013 Fusion
I learned to drive on an '81 Ford Fairmont wagon with a manual. Since then, most of my cars have been manual. I had my mind made up that I was getting a stick until about 3-4 months before I got my '19. Leg issues with LA traffic got me thinking maybe the A10 was for me. After driving it, I was sold. It's so quick. I honestly thought I'd miss shifting more than I do. And in Sport + the shifts throw me into the back of my seat. I love it.

NFG19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1
All I’ve ever had was manual cars. I was one of those never an auto guy! I hated seeing auto Mustangs! That being said I started having problems with my hip! Test drove the 10R80 it’s nothing like the old autos. I love mine I’m always in S mode using the paddles! I love the downshifts with my Steeda H-pipe and axle back! It’s killing my MPGs lmao!

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Manuals are obsolete now days imo. Sure it’s fun to control the power engagement with your left foot, but whatever... lol.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
The auto is fun if I want to hold my right foot down and scream. Sure it's faster, but I knew driving it that I'd miss the clutch. Stop and go traffic really isn't very difficult, either, in this car. Maybe not as easy as an auto but it's not annoying, either. Light clutch, auto revving car when engaging the clutch... it's seriously easy mode, by manual standards.

I don't know. I've driven fast autos and fast manuals. Maybe it's because I have ADHD but I get really bored with an auto. The stick keeps me engaged. I like getting down the shifting to a science. Moving my legs and hand in sequence to get that flawless shift in under a second is seriously gratifying. Plus, I drive this car year round, and there is an added control of using a manual transmission. If my old Mustang was an auto, I would have never wiggled it out of a snow bank.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My BMW is manual and I have been driving manual since my first car in 1958. But, modern automatics are simply better in every respect. Manual seems so dated and out of place on any fairly expense performance car. .

Fjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT fastback
Count me in. My previous Mustangs were all manuals. Drove some SUVs for a bit, and then bought an automatic Mustang back in June. A screwed up left knee, and right shoulder that just got operated on convinced me. While I love manuals, I’ll never go back!

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I switched to an auto specifically for this transmission. I do love it as my dd but not gonna lie, I would love a manual for a weekend car. As fun as this car is, it does leave me wanting more occasionally. I miss rowing gears. But I honestly have no desire to row them daily anymore.
Sponsored