Sponsored

How many have disconnected the center speaker?

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
After disconnecting the center speaker the overall sound is much better although I did notice the following;
Since the sound is no longer reflecting off the windshield from the center speaker the total volume level available seems to be less, not really a negative just noticable

The nav and phone audio was pronounced through the dash speaker and volume was reduced or cut off in the rest. Now the nav and phone come through reduced volume all speakers with the current source reduced to background. Especially noticed with nav voice being much reduced.

Overall improvement. Has anyone experimented with putting a resistor or volume control on the center speaker?
Sponsored

DetroitMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10
At first I thought it was just a bad speaker, so I disconnected it and I will never use it again. Stupidest thing I ever heard.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I have, of course. I originally suggested it.

If someone will verify that opening the dash grille does not come with great risk, then I will remove the speaker and measure it so as to design the resistor network to make it quieter. I think it should be half as loud (-6dB) to 1/4 as loud (-12dB). Or off is good, too.

DetroitMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10
I have, of course. I originally suggested it.

If someone will verify that opening the dash grille does not come with great risk, then I will remove the speaker and measure it so as to design the resistor network to make it quieter. I think it should be half as loud (-6dB) to 1/4 as loud (-12dB). Or off is good, too.
It's not that hard, really. Just be careful with the clips. Got this from Crutchfield... Page 7 for center speaker

Attachments

Sponsored

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks DetroitMustang for that Crutchfield spec sheet. Ya the grill is tough but once the dash panel is off you can see the two closest mount points underneath, I used a covered screwdriver to help slowly wedge and pry up the grill. I was more worried and carefull with the dash panel because of its length and the carbon fiber covering. There are a number of YouTube videos including the one in this thread on removing the panels.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I've had the dash trim and speaker grill off twice now. It's not a big deal - just tug and the clips release. The problem is that a couple clips always seem to come out of the trim and stay in the hole in the dash. Had that happen both times, same two clips. If you'er careful, you can remove them from the holes without them fallng behind the dash. Even if they do (which mine did, twice) you can find them - just might have to remove some other trim to get to them (in my case, the passenger footwell trim). Anyway, I'll probably do it a third time since I'm still not happy. First time I replaced the factory speaker with an Infinity reference coax hoping for improved highs. It worked, but there was too much mid-bass coming from the center, so I went back in and installed the bass blocker included with the speaker. That worked too, but I'm just overall sick of the sound being so centered. I'm gonna disconnect it, and maybe try coax 3.5s in the door for better highs. (Tried some tweets but they're all too harsh since factory are 8 ohm and all replacements I can find are 4).

DB23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T 200A Auto Ingot
I disconnected mine when I rebuilt my 9 speaker Shaker system (replaced the other 8 speakers, added a sub in the trunk; have the factory head unit running into a JL Fix and Twk to a JBL 5-channel amp). Don't miss it a bit - it was too loud and bounced noise off the windshield in an unpleasant way.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Has anyone tried this yet on the B&O system?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You know, I've really been wanting to add an amp to my existing 6-speaker base stereo. In the process I was thinking of adding two full range 3.5's to the doors with fully adjustable crossovers.

To add a center channel, I was thinking of splicing off the two front channels with an L-pad to control the volumeof the signal and also add an adjustable crossover for adjusting the image frequencies.

Now, I'm not so sure it's worth all the effort.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Has anyone tried this yet on the B&O system?
I plan to on my new 2019. Haven't had time yet, and I'm afraid to yank up on the speaker grille.

You know, I've really been wanting to add an amp to my existing 6-speaker base stereo. In the process I was thinking of adding two full range 3.5's to the doors with fully adjustable crossovers.

To add a center channel, I was thinking of splicing off the two front channels with an L-pad to control the volume of the signal and also add an adjustable crossover for adjusting the image frequencies.

Now, I'm not so sure it's worth all the effort.
It's not, IMO. Leave the door speakers alone because they're decent. Disconnect the center and adjust the balance to be centered on the passenger seat. Fade most or all of the sound to the front, because the back speakers have intrinsic distortion.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
I plan to on my new 2019. Haven't had time yet, and I'm afraid to yank up on the speaker grille.
Looking forward to your report!

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

It's not, IMO. Leave the door speakers alone because they're decent. Disconnect the center and adjust the balance to be centered on the passenger seat. Fade most or all of the sound to the front, because the back speakers have intrinsic distortion.
Instead, I've decided to start by simply upgrading all stock speakers with Pioneer D-series. They have very good frequency response down to 32hz, but are also not the most sensitive speakers. They have worthy reviews as straight upgrades for Mustangs without even using an amp, so we'll see. The OEM doors aren't bad, but I'm not fond of the shrillness from the pillar tweeters. Also, the base coming from the rear is about as pathetic as you can get. They have what appears to be a standard 8 ounce'ish magnet, but the frequency response just doesn't seem to be there. My guess is the factory speakers can't read much under 100hz, imo.
So, I'm upgrading all factory speakers to see what it produces with the stock head unit. If I'm not satisfied, then I may figure out a way to mount an Audio Control 4-channel Mini Amp under the glove box.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't think any bass is sent to the rear deck. It wouldn't matter what woofer you put back there.
If there is no bass sent to the rear deck speakers, then why bother putting in 6.5's to begin with? The rear deck speakers in the 2018 base model are much better than the older 2015-16 models that came with magnets the size of golf balls. Now they look to be about 6-8oz, more like a regular 2-way speaker.
Sponsored