Sponsored

How long is a “drive cycle” for ecu

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
As the owner of an emissions station... If you don't have O2/O2 heater after 240 miles and multiple cold starts, it's your tune.

As a side note, Ford's suggested drive cycle is a good starting point, but often does not work.
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
If you don't have O2/O2 heater after 240 miles and multiple cold starts
Even with long tubes and "high flow" cats?

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
I’m sure there some exceptions, but usually. Evap is absolutely by far the longest to get. Getting that before O2 heater is a strong indication to me that it’s likely not going to happen.
Wengerd assures me that everything is active in my tune, but I've driven over 2,000 miles in varying conditions, tried the Ford procedure mentioned above (best I could anyway), installed rear O2 extenders, but nothing seems to work to get the O2 sensor, O2 Sensor heater, and catalyst to complete. Evap however, sets fairly quickly for me. Wondering if it has something to do with E85 and not letting the cats get hot enough? I have Gesi high flow (300 cell) cats, so maybe this is the issue.

Not a major concern for me at this point, as emissions aren't due on this car until 2029 but would still like to get it figured out before then.

Wengerd Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wengerdperformance.com
First Name
Derel
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Whipple 15 Mustang GT TT 18 F150 VMP ODIN
Wengerd assures me that everything is active in my tune, but I've driven over 2,000 miles in varying conditions, tried the Ford procedure mentioned above (best I could anyway), installed rear O2 extenders, but nothing seems to work to get the O2 sensor, O2 Sensor heater, and catalyst to complete. Evap however, sets fairly quickly for me. Wondering if it has something to do with E85 and not letting the cats get hot enough? I have Gesi high flow (300 cell) cats, so maybe this is the issue.

Not a major concern for me at this point, as emissions aren't due on this car until 2029 but would still like to get it figured out before then.

Send me another email brother

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

I wonder if a bad flash can cause this sort of nonsense?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
It helps to actually look at the ford drive cycle pdf because it says which steps are needed for catalyst, o2, etc.

It took me a long time to get everything to ready up, it really wanted that step where you drive 45-60 for like 20+ minutes. My normal daily driving would never trigger that so it took a few attempts to go drive that exact part. Last time I had this issue I was stuck ln a different step.

You can watch those codes on a good odb2 reader which saves you trips to the inspection place.

I have fewer mods, but I do run E85 with a tune, etc. Now I really really try to avoid changing my tune in the couple months before my inspection is due.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if a bad flash can cause this sort of nonsense?
Totally possible. Mr. Wengerd sent me a revision to try out, so I'll report back in a few days. Unsure what changes were made, but we shall see.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
It helps to actually look at the ford drive cycle pdf because it says which steps are needed for catalyst, o2, etc.

It took me a long time to get everything to ready up, it really wanted that step where you drive 45-60 for like 20+ minutes. My normal daily driving would never trigger that so it took a few attempts to go drive that exact part. Last time I had this issue I was stuck ln a different step.

You can watch those codes on a good odb2 reader which saves you trips to the inspection place.

I have fewer mods, but I do run E85 with a tune, etc. Now I really really try to avoid changing my tune in the couple months before my inspection is due.
Yeah the 45-60 for 30 minutes is damn near impossible. Driving that slow on highways around here will insight a road rage shooting. It could just be that my cats aren't quite good enough (Might need to upgrade to the Gesi Gen2 EPA cats) but I'll give this new calibration a try first.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the 45-60 for 30 minutes is damn near impossible. Driving that slow on highways around here will insight a road rage shooting. It could just be that my cats aren't quite good enough (Might need to upgrade to the Gesi Gen2 EPA cats) but I'll give this new calibration a try first.
you need to kind just the right road. I've only found (1) surface street in my area with few enough lights to get significant time at those speeds. I don't think it has to be fully continuous uninterrupted (but i'm not 100% certain). the highways are all 75mph lol.

OP
OP
AZHowln50

AZHowln50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 10 Speed Auto
Here is where I am at 400 miles after tune update with adaptions turned on. Have tried above process and a ford cycle pdf the best I could. I will try again tomorrow and if no luck reach out to tuner Monday.

IMG_5252.jpeg

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I will try again tomorrow and if no luck reach out to tuner Monday.
It's possible you have a bad sensor. If you need to contact the tuner, ask him to log sensor operation to rule that out.
Sponsored