saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
Hey guys/gals,

Got the call from my dealers this morning that they had secured my car from the other dealer and would like to deliver today. COOL ....

Little did they know I had driven by last evening and checked to see if it was there. It was but looked like a mess from the 60 mile drive. The other dealer must have had it sitting outside, since it was water spotted, etc.

So, I get there today thinking that they had someone detail it this am and it was going to look sweet. It's obviously Saturday ... busy and a Holiday weekend on top of it. So when he said, how about I show you the car, we go fuel it up and you can take it home and save me time since its Saturday. I said, yeah, no problem, I knew the functions better than he could explain anyway.

So we get outside, I turn the corner and there is the car just as dirty and spotted as it was when I saw it last night. I'm immediately disappointed. Then I walk around the car and see the left over gummy window sticker residue on the inside windows from the factory. I open the door and there's dirt and silt that had washed into the door sill and dried at the bottom.

Its obvious to me that they hadn't prepped the car. At first I was annoyed, then I thought, screw it, I'll do it myself and it will be way better .... until ....

I follow around to the back of the car where the original dealer decal was on the lower bumper cover. At first it looked as though the glue was really thick and perhaps collected some dirt or something. I checked it out further only to realize that whoever tried to remove the old decal, removed all the pain with it. I was absolutely bent at this point.

The GM came out and looked it over... said he would give me a interior and exterior protection package to make up for the screw up. I damn near walked .... seriously, if it weren't that I had only 2 days to find another deal, I'd be hunting down another vehicle as I speak.

I've never before been delivered a car that wasn't meticulously polished and shining. This was what I call lazy. They had spent a few days trying to find me the combination I was looking for and I'm guessing they weren't willing to have their detail guy spend anymore money on me. :tsk:

Here's a bad picture off my sisters iPhone as she rolled through the lot before I got there. You can see the paint missing under the drivers side tail lights.
IMG9571231.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

ponyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic PP Ecoboost, 2013 Volvo XC60r-Design
Not cool at all... I would be pissed..

351MachOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Wouldn't have taken delivery if it wasn't flawless.

You pay for prep. It should have been perfect. You bought a new car, let them kiss your a little.

Reactions: 113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Not acceptable. :tsk:

OP
OP
saleen367

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The minute the salesmen said "we need to schedule an appointment to get this taken care of", I said, eff that ... you keep it until its right.

I don't like walking away from a purchase where they had to do a dealer trade, but I almost did today. It was completely unacceptable.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
You did the right thing by walking. Once you accept the car, it is yours, period. And, then you have to depend on the dealer coming through with all of his "promises".

My dealer did a great job. The car was on the lot, on a Saturday morning. I test drove it, we negotiated my trade and the car was taken to do the PDI. I do my own financing with my credit union, so there was nothing else to do. I signed the sale papers, and we had coffee and conversation until the detail guy brought the car around for my inspection. It was perfect inside and out. The guy really did a great job.
The salesman gave me the keys, walked me through some things I was not familiar with and I left him my '13 SHO. This was my first purchase at this dealer, in a small town, about 35 miles from the house. I normally buy from a dealer in my area, but they did not have an EB, which is what I wanted.

Good luck on getting it all worked out. It sounds like the GM wants to get it done right. The salesman sounds like a slug, more intent on getting off early then doing a good job.

pineapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a piece of sh*t
I don't think he walked but he took the car.

I personally would've walked into another dealership.. I'd rather have an honest dealer than a shady/unreliable one.

OP
OP
saleen367

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I don't think he walked but he took the car.

I personally would've walked into another dealership.. I'd rather have an honest dealer than a shady/unreliable one.
I left the Mustang there and came home with my "former" Focus.

Even though the GM tried to make it right, I'm having a hard time buying his story. Because they have the signed title to my Focus, this makes it tough. I do know by law we have 3 days here in MN to return the car, but you make enemies in doing so. It's a tough call.

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
I left the Mustang there and came home with my "former" Focus.

Even though the GM tried to make it right, I'm having a hard time buying his story. Because they have the signed title to my Focus, this makes it tough. I do know by law we have 3 days here in MN to return the car, but you make enemies in doing so. It's a tough call.
If you really want "this" car, then go back after they do the PDI and paint repair and look over the car from top to bottom. You can then make a decision on what you want to do. I have no idea what you would do about the signed title to your trade being in their hands, if you decide to cancel the deal. One thing, if you take the car, the dealer "should" bend over backwards to make you happy, since you will be getting a survey from Ford and the dealer needs all tens to keep Ford happy. Ford does not like dealer complaints. :)

As a side note, I bought an Audi once (never again) and it had some paint damage on the passenger door. I let them do the repairs before I took the car or signed any paperwork. The paint matched perfectly, so we made the deal.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Customer service is pretty much a lost art in this country.

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I ripped my dealer in a review and they called me almost instantaneously... cobwebs in the interior all sorts of shit. So not surprised by any of the above comments.

Turbo Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost PP
That's terrible.

Sounds like your salesman is just a lazy SOB.

I've watched prep shops go from being well managed with decently skilled help, to hiring bottom of the barrel jackwagons with no supervision, at a few different dealers.

It's very unfortunate. A new car purchase is exciting, the car should be immaculate.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Dealership detail departments suck. I have 2.5 guys at my dealership I know I can trust to do a great job for me.(the .5 is a part time kid, who is also a car enthusiast and loves cars) The rest are as reliable as grabbing a stranger off the street. Detailing has to be a passion of yours to really do it well. Or have at least half decent work ethic to present the product well. And I work at a BMW dealership. I imagine it's not any better at a Ford store. I imagine they make a lot less then the guys I work with too. I got my 15 from our Ford store in NC. I didn't let them do anything but back it off the truck. It was still in transport mode when I got there just as I requested. I took it to get fuel and everything. No holes in the bumper, no stickers, no removing stickers, no plate frames...literally only backed it off the truck.

slythetove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I open the door and there's dirt and silt that had washed into the door sill and dried at the bottom.

Its obvious to me that they hadn't prepped the car.
Just goes to show how different we all are - I repeatedly made sure my car would NOT be detailed/washed/unwrapped in any way beyond absolute necessity. I was relieved to see mine with all the rail dirt, silt, plastic still on, etc.

I pulled 90% of the plastic myself and I was grateful I got it that way.

I would never want a dealer to prep my car. The micro swirls and scratches they typically create in just one cleaning are insane.

Scroll down in this thread to see what "dealer prep" did to this Black GT in Austin.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19192

I'm also in Austin - I had none of that to deal with because they didn't touch mine!
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19194
Sponsored