Sponsored

How do you read forum threads?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yea, dumb question but just peaks my ever living curiosity as to how people read their Internet forums. It seems like some folks do not read a thread from the start, like they are just reading the very last post posted and enter their comment....

OR the comment entered is totally oblivious to the thread topic being discussed and is the same as already posted directly above their own comment...

I always read any thread from post #1 forward and when I go back to it, I’ll read from where I left off.

Is it like folks who are able to read and write right to left opposed to reading/writing right to left? Is it like folks who view a glass as half empty as opposed to those who see it as half full? Or is it just a lifestyle thing like wiping front to back as opposed to wiping back to front... I dunno anymore in this world....LMFAO. :cwl:

I’m in no way implying how I read or participate in a forum is “the correct way” or that others are doing anything wrong (please don’t bring out the PC Police) - just merely wondering from a purely human if we were talking in person type of discussion perspective.
Sponsored

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I always read the same threads that I replied on, I'll go back a few pages at times. If the thread doesn't have hundreds of pages I'll start from the first post.

But if the thread is getting interesting and people are arguing then I'll start from page one. 👀😁 it's fun to see a bunch of men arguing.

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
But if the thread is getting interesting and people are arguing then I'll start from page one. 👀😁 it's fun to see a bunch of men arguing.
This right here! Especially the Auto vs manual threads that popup or currently the test drive one going on now...

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Much depends on how serious the thread may be. I joined this site to research about two Ford vehicles I had planned to buy. A F-150 and a Mustang GT. So any threads with serious content on things such as oil consumption, engine failures, BBQ tick, 2K vibration, 5w30 oil weight, ten speed automatic trans and so on I will read from the initial post.
Silly threads will depend on if I get in early. If I get in late I will skip to the last few posts and say my silly stuff without going thru the whole thing.

Wish I could say my reading of threads has made me feel better about buying a new Ford pickup or Mustang. Facts seem to be it is not possible to get accurate information on specific issues. Hard to determine if the problems reported are just a few in the overall numbers of Ford Coyote Gen III engines or evidence of basic flaws. Same for the ten speed trans reports. I had just read about ten speed trans reported issues here and was talking to my neighbor. His boss had bought a new F-150 which has been in the shop for the trans more than three times already.

A thing which has struck me is the acceptance of extended warranties as the way to go with the Mustangs. I get this will protect beyond the basic factory warranty, but even these extended warranties will expire. I gather from reading they cost around $1,500 for a few more years and some more miles. What about when they expire? I guess if you get a lot of miles on an engine and trans without trouble you can relax. What about the folks who have had one or more engine replacements under the warranties?

Anyway I am some spooked about buying a new Ford. I did make an offer back at the first of April on a 2020 GT. It was a too low offer according to the dealer, but my thinking was getting a good deal on a new car with a warranty was worth the risk. I am too spooked to look for a used car or truck without a warranty.

So I read threads mostly to gain information. I read a few silly threads because I have too much free time.

Sponsored

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
I looks for certain names and if I see they have replied I know it's either gonna be an epic fun post or very informative. I don't reply much unless I feel I can help without repeating something thats already been said a few times.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Hello; Much depends on how serious the thread may be. I joined this site to research about two Ford vehicles I had planned to buy. A F-150 and a Mustang GT. So any threads with serious content on things such as oil consumption, engine failures, BBQ tick, 2K vibration, 5w30 oil weight, ten speed automatic trans and so on I will read from the initial post.
Silly threads will depend on if I get in early. If I get in late I will skip to the last few posts and say my silly stuff without going thru the whole thing.

Wish I could say my reading of threads has made me feel better about buying a new Ford pickup or Mustang. Facts seem to be it is not possible to get accurate information on specific issues. Hard to determine if the problems reported are just a few in the overall numbers of Ford Coyote Gen III engines or evidence of basic flaws. Same for the ten speed trans reports. I had just read about ten speed trans reported issues here and was talking to my neighbor. His boss had bought a new F-150 which has been in the shop for the trans more than three times already.

A thing which has struck me is the acceptance of extended warranties as the way to go with the Mustangs. I get this will protect beyond the basic factory warranty, but even these extended warranties will expire. I gather from reading they cost around $1,500 for a few more years and some more miles. What about when they expire? I guess if you get a lot of miles on an engine and trans without trouble you can relax. What about the folks who have had one or more engine replacements under the warranties?

Anyway I am some spooked about buying a new Ford. I did make an offer back at the first of April on a 2020 GT. It was a too low offer according to the dealer, but my thinking was getting a good deal on a new car with a warranty was worth the risk. I am too spooked to look for a used car or truck without a warranty.

So I read threads mostly to gain information. I read a few silly threads because I have too much free time.
When are you gonna buy one?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
When are you gonna buy one?
Hello; Been ready to buy for a while. Have the funds in place to pay cash, which the dealers do not like.
Had a deal worked out on a leftover Mustang GT a couple years ago. Good price on a base GT. I drove four hours to Ohio. The plan was to leave my Sentra, come back to get it and not trade. When I got to the dealership and the paper work started, they wanted my SS #. I had gone to a bank and gotten a certified check as they had requested for the full amount. I could not see any reason to give my SS# as I was not doing finance. So I walked.
Found out Ohio requires all car deals to list the SS# by contacting the Ohio DMV. Plan changed to a friend was to drive me up so I could just get the car and drive it home. The friend whom I have use my truck to run errands for many times over the years did not show up when scheduled twice. He claimed different things but before I could figure another way the car sold.
Had a deal worked out in Lexington KY area. Eventually got the price I wanted. Another base GT. Was all white in the online photos. I drove to Lexington to find the car had a black wrap on the roof and fender stripes. I walked as they would not remove the wrap.
So I guess I want the right deal more than I want the car. Been calling an area dealer each month since last December with an offer on a 2020 base GT. So far they refuse my offer. The strategy will fail if someone buys the car, which often happens. I will likely make the same offer again in a week or so.
I want a Mustang GT but not enough to pay too dearly. I am old enough to know cars will not make me happy or fix my life. So will hold out for a deal or my circumstances change.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yea, dumb question but just peaks my ever living curiosity as to how people read their Internet forums. It seems like some folks do not read a thread from the start, like they are just reading the very last post posted and enter their comment....
What I'm more apt to see is a reply made to the first post with no hint that anything else was even looked at. Post #1 could be a few days old . . . or a few years old, doesn't seem to matter.

I wonder if anybody ever reads other posts by the person whose post they're replying to, or looks at their public profile, like to get a little better idea where they might be coming from.

Norm

Sponsored

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
What I'm more apt to see is a reply made to the first post with no hint that anything else was even looked at. Post #1 could be a few days old . . . or a few years old, doesn't seem to matter.

I wonder if anybody ever reads other posts by the person whose post they're replying to, or looks at their public profile, like to get a little better idea where they might be coming from.

Norm
I do 👀 . I tend to check out ppls profiles a lot. I click on any avatar that gets my attention too. I like getting to know the ppl on here and read their old posts.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Hello; Been ready to buy for a while. Have the funds in place to pay cash, which the dealers do not like.
Had a deal worked out on a leftover Mustang GT a couple years ago. Good price on a base GT. I drove four hours to Ohio. The plan was to leave my Sentra, come back to get it and not trade. When I got to the dealership and the paper work started, they wanted my SS #. I had gone to a bank and gotten a certified check as they had requested for the full amount. I could not see any reason to give my SS# as I was not doing finance. So I walked.
Found out Ohio requires all car deals to list the SS# by contacting the Ohio DMV. Plan changed to a friend was to drive me up so I could just get the car and drive it home. The friend whom I have use my truck to run errands for many times over the years did not show up when scheduled twice. He claimed different things but before I could figure another way the car sold.
Had a deal worked out in Lexington KY area. Eventually got the price I wanted. Another base GT. Was all white in the online photos. I drove to Lexington to find the car had a black wrap on the roof and fender stripes. I walked as they would not remove the wrap.
So I guess I want the right deal more than I want the car. Been calling an area dealer each month since last December with an offer on a 2020 base GT. So far they refuse my offer. The strategy will fail if someone buys the car, which often happens. I will likely make the same offer again in a week or so.
I want a Mustang GT but not enough to pay too dearly. I am old enough to know cars will not make me happy or fix my life. So will hold out for a deal or my circumstances change.
I like the way you think. But, if you have ever owned a German import out of warranty, you wouldn't have any qualms about buying a used Mustang. It's all a matter of perspective. If you come from a Japanese import, a Mustang seems high risk. If you come from an English or German import, a Mustang is worry-free.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It's variable for me - but I typically read front to back. For a very long thread I might read the first few pages and the last few pages only.

As for Mustang reliability... always keep in mind that you hear a lot more about the squeaky wheels (i.e. the people with problems) than you do from all the people who are just enjoying their car. Ford sold 60k of these last year... that's a lot of people that _aren't_ on this forum reporting issues.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I like the way you think. But, if you have ever owned a German import out of warranty, you wouldn't have any qualms about buying a used Mustang. It's all a matter of perspective. If you come from a Japanese import, a Mustang seems high risk. If you come from an English or German import, a Mustang is worry-free.
Hello; I have owned both. I bought a used 1972 Porsche 914 in 1974. I owned it for 12 years and do know how much work and service it required. In fact when it became known I could adjust the solid valve lifters on the engines I had a small sideline of work on the engines. Morphed into my doing some service work on imports. Had a buddy with a 1972 911 which I did lots of work on.
To me the worst was a 1974 jaguar XJ -6 a guy had. Not only was it very hard to work on the parts were sky high. I can recall going to pick up a water pump for it. This was when I could get a water pump for Detroit iron for around $35. The jag water pump was well over $300 and was a bear to replace.
The best jaguar story was about a 1950's model. It had a positive ground system. Forget the exact model, maybe a XJ-150. A two seater with a very long hood and a straight six. The owner wanted a modern radio installed. I knew of the positive ground issue and made a wooden insert so the new radio would not touch any metal. Same for the speakers. Turned out OK. Had it playing just fine.
I had no reason to drive it so had not done so. The owner came by to get it and was pleased for a while. He drove away and within a moment had turned around and came back. I had forgotten about the radio antennae. with the engine running the cable to the antennae was essentially a resistance to the electricity and had caused the carpet to star to smoke as it got hot. Had to do some more work and replace some carpet. Not too long after the car was totaled when the owner was turning off the highway and was rear ended. I had nothing to do with that thank goodness.
Sponsored