How do you like your auto-blip

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I just purchased a '19 350 earlier this week and have already ordered most of the essentials for the track (tow hook, corsa double helix, solo 2, splitter guard, rock guard, catch cans, etc.) The next thing I'm strongly considering is an auto-blip but I'd like to get some opinions from the forum. I've read a ton of reviews and watched a few videos and it seems like most people like it.

I plan to drive this car about 2,000 miles/yr with 4-8 HPDE track days. In all honesty my heel toe is just so/so, as I find it hard to practice anywhere expect when on the track and this will only be my second track season.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I have an Autoblip removed from my 2016 Shelby PM me for price. I can send photos. (sold the car). Loved the Autoblip... I can't heal toe either

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
I have an Autoblip removed from my 2016 Shelby PM me for price. I can send photos. (sold the car). Loved the Autoblip... I can't heal toe either
Just be aware Ford changed the gas pedal in middle of 2017. Your autoblip will only work till mid 2017 Models. I only know this because I purchased one from a 2016 owner and found it would not work on my 2018.

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Just be aware Ford changed the gas pedal in middle of 2017. Your autoblip will only work till mid 2017 Models. I only know this because I purchased one from a 2016 owner and found it would not work on my 2018.
I thought I read that somewhere else also. Thanks for confirming.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Auto-rev matching takes the fun away blipping throttle my self. It's like taking away part of driving MT. Besides, you don't need to heel-toe for everyday driving.

Sponsored

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Auto-rev matching takes the fun away blipping throttle my self. It's like taking away part of driving MT. Besides, you don't need to heel-toe for everyday driving.
For street use, I absolutely agree. I guess I’m more focused on track use since slower shifts can equal slower lap times.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
For me HPDE is about using the car as intended and working on the art of car control. Part of the fun is developing the heel toe technique and when cracking off great ones it’s quite satisfying.

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
I'm signed up for the GT350 Track Attack in April and looking forward to the Heel Toe training. I struggled my first track day I think it really takes practice to get good at it and not sure I will track my car enough to ever get there. Another option I am considering is the wider gas pedal. Something else to consider in my thread here:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/wide-gas-pedal-options.132738/

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I've tried wider pedals in other cars, still never got good at it... I don't value the skill enough to put any more time into it, can focus on the things that actually make me faster instead.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I'm signed up for the GT350 Track Attack in April and looking forward to the Heel Toe training. I struggled my first track day I think it really takes practice to get good at it and not sure I will track my car enough to ever get there. Another option I am considering is the wider gas pedal. Something else to consider in my thread here:

In my experience, you don't need wider throttle pedal, the placement of the pedal is fine. The heel-toe used when you braking hard before corner that will level the brake and throttle pedals. This will allow to roll your foot easily over throttle pedal. In normal street driving it's rarely used. But on the track is where this technique is needed the most.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars

If you’re looking for the driving school to focus or do an in-depth lesson on heel-toe, you’re going to be disappointed. They cover it but it’s like 2 minutes, and then you’re off to practice on the braking course. It’s almost expected that you know it beforehand and one reason is because heel-toe is not something you just pick up, it takes lots of practice to be able to get it right.

I practiced on a simulator and on the street. I heel-toe everywhere, it’s muscle memory and it’s figuring out where you need to place your foot in the brake to be able to blip the throttle. Also wearing drivers shoes can help as you have much more feel than normal street shoes. A wise instructor once said “you drive only one way, on the streets and on the track”.

Using a pedal extension can help as the gap between the pedals is spaced out via a government mandate to make sure you cannot mistake the gas for the brake pedal. I initially had one, but it was more akin to training wheels and after a month I removed it and was able to do it without the pedal extension.

But practice, practice, practice will help you and already going to the school with a rudimentary understanding of heel-toe will make their instruction and your on track experiences more enjoyable.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
We had a saying in the Army, "Train as you fight and fight as you train" meaning that if you want to get good at heel/toe you need to use it every day and develop the muscle memory it takes to do it right. Auto throttle blip doesn't help if you don't use it correctly as well. I did a Corvette driving school at Ron Fellows school in Nevada and occasionally I didn't downshift fast enough to catch the short interval the revs were up and would chirp the rear tires at 100mph rolling into and through a corner. Not fun.

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
Auto-blip is great on the track. I have never been able to heel and toe well so it is awesome for someone like me. You can adjust the amount of blip and the pause. Perfect for track. Useless on the street though. Only get it and use it on the track.

someone mentioned the change over. There was no change based on model year. It seems some 17 and 18 models were 12v. Most seem to be (like my 18) the 5v that all 16 models were. Not sure about the 19 or 20 models. Autoblip site has instructions on how to tell if you need the 5v or 12v.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.