How do you clean an engine block?

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
So everything in my engine bay is totally stock except the oil catch can. Do I need to cover snything before hosing it down? I'm pretty sure the stock with box is closed?

PS if you haven't guess already I'm a noob
Sponsored

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
I use scrubbing bubbles then water hose, afterwards some black magic on plastic pieces. Jeep buddy taught me that trick.

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I'm really surprised the chemicals in all these products don't eat up the aluminum. Good information to have

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i was always under the impression to never spray water on your non running engine. some shit happen to my uncles old vette where he sprayed down the engine bay then hopped in the car and the car basically caught fire and burned to the ground less than 30 min from his house. not entirely sure that story was only water on engine but ive always been told to rinse it while its running.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
i was always under the impression to never spray water on your non running engine. some shit happen to my uncles old vette where he sprayed down the engine bay then hopped in the car and the car basically caught fire and burned to the ground less than 30 min from his house. not entirely sure that story was only water on engine but ive always been told to rinse it while its running.
Chevy problems. ;)

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Chevy problems. ;)
that would make sense since this is my dad telling me who has been a chevy guy his whole life and until like 3 years ago only drove chevys. ill just stick with hand wiping haha

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
You will not hurt an engine bay by getting it wet. As already mentioned, if you have an aftermarket intake with an air filter that isn't enclosed (stock or other air box) simply wrap in a few plastic bags. Avoid direct strong water pressure on the coil packs and other 'open' electrical components.

The "Scrubbing bubbles" trick that was mentioned has been around a LONG time on the forums. From what I could gather, it started on a popular BMW forum and the original thread was started by a guy who happened to be a chemist.

I've used it numerous times. Get the kind that has NO bleach added. Spray liberally over a cold engine, let it sit for a bit, then use the low pressure setting on your hose and rinse it off. Works EXTREMELY well on areas that tend to gather grit / dust etc.

After doing that, I take my leaf blower, blow off any excess water out of nooks and crannies especially - takes maybe 5 minutes if that - then I mist Aero 303 on a blue paper shop towel and wipe down all plastic surfaces. The 303 really helps not to attract dust / grit.

I like the scrubbing bubbles a lot better than Simple green for the simple fact I have a black asphalt driveway and from my personal experience, simple green will eat through asphalt sealer and stain the asphalt.
Sponsored