Sponsored

How do I disable front DRL's when engine off and accessory on?

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
One issue here is that people seem to think that the tri-bar lights are the DRLs. They're not, which is why neither the display option to disable them nor the parking brake turns them off. The tri-bars are always on.
Sponsored

OP
OP

InsaneJester17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost
One issue here is that people seem to think that the tri-bar lights are the DRLs. They're not, which is why neither the display option to disable them nor the parking brake turns them off. The tri-bars are always on.
Thanks for the clarification. Ya I guess I meant the tri-bars.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
On,my 19gt pp1 car manual it shows how to turn them off in manual on pages 73 and 88

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I know on previous models applying the parking brake turned them off.
Not on this one :).

The disease is definitely out there, but as long as you're careful, there's no need to put life on hold.
Indeed. I'd probably die if I get it (battling a rare leukemia here), but I'm not paranoid about it. But it SUCKS having to deal with it many months longer than needed, thanks to stupid politicians, but it is what it is. I wanted to enjoy whatever time I have left, but now have to basically remain holed up (TX here). Oh well.

One issue here is that people seem to think that the tri-bar lights are the DRLs.
So which ones are the DRLs then? Nothing else lights up man, so what do you expect people to think? :D The settings DRL option does absolutely nothing: it doesn't turn off the 'tri-bars', nor turns on anything else. That's crazy.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's not possible, even using ForScan. IIRC the fron DRL's are directly connected to power when you turn the car on.
I suppose that makes sense that it's just an always on component of the headlights, the Golf GTI/R are the same way. Although at least on those if you pulled the e-brake they would turn off.
Not on this one :).

Indeed. I'd probably die if I get it (battling a rare leukemia here), but I'm not paranoid about it. But it SUCKS having to deal with it many months longer than needed, thanks to stupid politicians, but it is what it is. I wanted to enjoy whatever time I have left, but now have to basically remain holed up (TX here). Oh well.

So which ones are the DRLs then? Nothing else lights up man, so what do you expect people to think? :D The settings DRL option does absolutely nothing: it doesn't turn off the 'tri-bars', nor turns on anything else. That's crazy.
I found out the DRL's are actually the main lamps. Not sure if they're driven at a lower voltage or are just on all the time. I had no idea I'd been driving around with them enabled this whole time, lol. I tested this by leaving the car in neutral with the e-brake down and checking, sure enough the "daytime lights" were just the main lamps being on along with the tri bar. When you pull the e-brake up, the main lamps turn off. When I turned off the "daytime lights" setting, the main lamps stopped illuminating regardless of what the e-brake was doing but the tri bars stay on.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As I said above, the tri-bars are not the DRLs and are always on.

The DRLs are the center of the main lights. The DRL On/Off function in the menu only applies if you have the headlight switch in one of the On or Auto modes, are in gear with an automatic, or have released the parking brake in a manual.
  • If you leave the headlight switch in Off, the DRLs are always off, regardless of the Info Menu setting.
  • If an AT is in Park, the DRLs are off, regardless of the Info Menu setting.
  • If an MT has the parking brake is set, the DRLs are off, regardless of the Info Menu setting.

It's the stupidest implementation of DRL control that I have ever seen, but, hey. I didn't design the effing thing, I just drive the bastard.

DRL Off:
IMG_1021.JPG

DRL On:
IMG_1025.JPG

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I found out the DRL's are actually the main lamps. Not sure if they're driven at a lower voltage or are just on all the time. I had no idea I'd been driving around with them enabled this whole time, lol.
Ha ha. I checked my car, and they didn't light up, but I have the light switch in OFF. After reading the post below, now all this mess makes sense. Ha ha. Glad mine weren't on all this time, although just have 900+ miles on the car now. Now we know :D.

It's the stupidest implementation of DRL control that I have ever seen, but, hey. I didn't design the effing thing
Indeed. Thanks for the detailed explanation; that's what we needed :). Where did you get that? I don't remember reading that in the manual, but maybe I missed it. At any rate, I'm turning that option off next time I use the car. So DRLs operate the same as the F-150: light switch has to be in 'auto' mode. Since they were quite dim, and ugly looking, I always had them off. I'm glad I like the 'tri-bars', because there's no way to turn them off :D.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Indeed. Thanks for the detailed explanation; that's what we needed :). Where did you get that? I don't remember reading that in the manual, but maybe I missed it.
I had read about it somewhere before I got my car, but it is on page 74 in my manual.
Capture.JPG

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
I think drls are like that for 18s because they have LED headlights, and it maybe because they're less visible due to the angular design of the tri-bars?

15-17s you either have tri bars (off position, tri bars at brightest) / parking lights (tri bars dim) / or just everything on....

but nonetheless, OP is referring to tri-bars. DRLs or not. Can't turn them off. I don't know if 18+ euro spec headlights have LED Tribars. The 15-17s are just reflectors lol
Sponsored