OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
As said above - there’s no right or wrong way. It’s trial and error.

Turn one side a little, slowly close hood and latch it firmly. See how the hood looks.

Put it this way, if you’re hood is rubbing, then the hood is sitting low enough that the bumper is not preventing it from touching the core support.

So turn one of the little bumpers like 1/4 and close hood, see how it looks etc.

OR turn both bumpers 1/4.

The Dealership would be doing the same exact process - there’s no written rule or steps in any Ford manual for any of their product line to turning and how much to turn or not turn those bumpers.

Those bumpers are like giant threaded rubber screws.
Gotcha I guess my final question is how will I know when I have technically raised the hood enough to where it’s not contacting anymore?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Gotcha I guess my final question is how will I know when I have technically raised the hood enough to where it’s not contacting anymore?
The only way I know how to determine that would be:

If you have play dough, silly putty, plumbers putty, clay, pizza dough, etc - put a thin layer on each side on top of the core support where the offending marks are located. Thin like thin as a quarter - closely close and latch hood. Then open hood and see if there’s any impressions.

No impressions = good.

Now next question will be how do you know if it’s sitting too high.

Easy.

If the hood won’t latch or it’s sitting above the fenders... then you adjust it again to lower a little.

OP
OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
The only way I know how to determine that would be:

If you have play dough, silly putty, plumbers putty, clay, pizza dough, etc - put a thin layer on each side on top of the core support where the offending marks are located. Thin like thin as a quarter - closely close and latch hood. Then open hood and see if there’s any impressions.

No impressions = good.

Now next question will be how do you know if it’s sitting too high.

Easy.

If the hood won’t latch or it’s sitting above the fenders... then you adjust it again to lower a little.
Thanks a ton man I appreciate all the insight!! Saved me a trip to the dealer

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Ok and since the hood appears to be rubbing in both spots equally I should turn both stoppers the same amount each time?
Based on that, I'd turn both. bumpers the same amount. Do a 1/4 turn at a time (make sure to turn CCW to make them longer) and watch the vertical alignment of the hood to the fenders and facia, and how hard it is to close the hood.

OP
OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Based on that, I'd turn both. bumpers the same amount. Do a 1/4 turn at a time (make sure to turn CCW to make them longer) and watch the vertical alignment of the hood to the fenders and facia, and how hard it is to close the hood.
Counter clockwise got it!

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Counter clockwise got it!
The rubber bumpers screw in/out like a regular fastener.

Also, another thing to look at is the spot where the rubber bumpers contact the beam they hit when the hood is latched. You should be able to see a mark where they contact. Put a film of Armorall on the face of the bumper so you can see if they are even making contact. Yours may not even be making any contact if the hood is rubbing.

OP
OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
The rubber bumpers screw in/out like a regular fastener.

Also, another thing to look at is the spot where the rubber bumpers contact the beam they hit when the hood is latched. You should be able to see a mark where they contact. Put a film of Armorall on the face of the bumper so you can see if they are even making contact. Yours may not even be making any contact if the hood is rubbing.
So until they make contact I’m not in the clear?

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
So until they make contact I’m not in the clear?
In all honesty, this is about as basic of troubleshooting and trial and error as it gets. If you need so many questions and answers about how to adjust hood stoppers, you may want to go to the dealer.

Turn the stoppers counter clockwise until the hood no longer rubs in the area which you have a problem in. If you see it rubbing in those problem areas again, keep turning them.

You'll only heave a problem if you've turned them all the way out and can't adjust any more, or if your hood gaps become too large.

Think of it like adjusting a door stopper. Your problem is that your door knob keeps hitting the wall. You need to lengthen the door stopper so that the door hits it, instead of the wall. That's exactly what your rubber hood stoppers do. They absorb the hood's impact when closing it and they also prop it up to make sure it doesn't hit anything inside the engine bay.

OP
OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
In all honesty, this is about as basic of troubleshooting and trial and error as it gets. If you need so many questions and answers about how to adjust hood stoppers, you may want to go to the dealer.

Turn the stoppers counter clockwise until the hood no longer rubs in the area which you have a problem in. If you see it rubbing in those problem areas again, keep turning them.

You'll only heave a problem if you've turned them all the way out and can't adjust any more, or if your hood gaps become too large.

Think of it like adjusting a door stopper. Your problem is that your door knob keeps hitting the wall. You need to lengthen the door stopper so that the door hits it, instead of the wall. That's exactly what your rubber hood stoppers do. They absorb the hood's impact when closing it and they also prop it up to make sure it doesn't hit anything inside the engine bay.
I plan to update this post once it’s completed

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Since i had the exact problem, I can give you the correct answer. You can adjust the rubber adjusters until you're blue in the face, like I initially did, but that will NOT correct the problem.
The hood latch is adjusted too low. I took the shield off and adjusted the latch up until the hood front was just slightly high from the fascia. No more rubbing. Then, use the rubbers to get the corners to align with the fenders/ headlight. I turned the rubbers 1/4 turn to get the alignment. Clockwise to lower.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Since i had the exact problem, I can give you the correct answer. You can adjust the rubber adjusters until you're blue in the face, like I initially did, but that will NOT correct the problem.
The hood latch is adjusted too low. I took the shield off and adjusted the latch up until the hood front was just slightly high from the fascia. No more rubbing. Then, use the rubbers to get the corners to align with the fenders/ headlight. I turned the rubbers 1/4 turn to get the alignment. Clockwise to lower.
So raise the latch and then get my hood in line with fenders and headlight. But since I’m raising my hood latch my hood will need to be lowered?

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Turn the rubbers 1/4 turn at a time until correct

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
So raise the latch and then get my hood in line with fenders and headlight. But since I’m raising my hood latch my hood will need to be lowered?
No you're raising the latch to raise the front edge of the hood. The rubbers only adjust the sides. The Ford body shop explained how I could correct it because I didnt want to wait 2 weeks for them ti do it.