Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

rspec99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold)
Great build HB, and thank you for providing a resource for us GT350 owners.

How is the quality of the Mishimoto radiator? I was reading on various forums (including another thread on this one) that some people have issues with poor welds sprouting leaks. How well did it bolt up/align with the factory mounting points and fan shrouds.

Got my new upgraded radiator in. ~5/8" thicker than stock. Oh yeah

20191228_220036.jpg

20191228_220018.jpg
20191228_220027.jpg
20191228_220043.jpg

Other incoming changes will be yet another update to the coolant bypass (v4 for the win), and revisions to both the external oil lines/filtration and the radiator ducting.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Great build HB, and thank you for providing a resource for us GT350 owners.

How is the quality of the Mishimoto radiator? I was reading on various forums (including another thread on this one) that some people have issues with poor welds sprouting leaks. How well did it bolt up/align with the factory mounting points and fan shrouds.
I haven't used it yet, but from my inspection I am very pleased. It's a direct fit and I had zero issues installing it to mock up some updated ducting. It lined up perfectly. The welds look great to me as well.

I can't see any reason it's anymore likely to give me issues than any other handmade aluminum radiator. I'll let everyone know if I have issues later, though.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Putting in a GT500 pan, pump, and pick up tube after my FP350S pickup tube failed. Very nice piece. Filmed a quick comparison video with my phone

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Putting in a GT500 pan, pump, and pick up tube after my FP350S pickup tube failed. Very nice piece. Filmed a quick comparison video with my phone

Thanks for the awesome video.
So are you using the GT 500 oil pump without upgrading the gears ?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks for the awesome video.
So are you using the GT 500 oil pump without upgrading the gears ?
For now, yeah. No one makes a billet gear from what I've seen yet.

Given the larger diameter of the gear, it should be stronger and more than adequate. I'll upgrade next refresh, tho.

There's a new opportunity to improve the valve train performance:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6505-CJ52
Nice some! I wonder who makes the Ti valves? Do you have any insight on this kit? Will have to look into this kit when it's time to refresh the top end!

Whew. That’s a pretty penny!
Everything coyote/voodoo is depressingly expensive unfortunately.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I see you are picking up some pieces from the 500... Are you looking at the GT500 oil separator as well?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I see you are picking up some pieces from the 500... Are you looking at the GT500 oil separator as well?
I haven't looked into it. I am a true 12an breather setup that vents to atmosphere since it is an offroad engine. Want to make sure I make it easy for the crank to vent while eliminating any oil containment getting into the intake and lowering octane with oil vapors.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't looked into it. I am a true 12an breather setup that vents to atmosphere since it is an offroad engine. Want to make sure I make it easy for the crank to vent while eliminating any oil containment getting into the intake and lowering octane with oil vapors.
Have you seen or had any issues with lots of oil contaminating the breather filters since you run at the higher rpms?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
you can still run a catch-can, just don't vent it to the intake.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Have you seen or had any issues with lots of oil contaminating the breather filters since you run at the higher rpms?
I have been running a Peterson breather can, which essentially just has a sponge-like material and a vented lid. No issues there. I ran a FP oil air separator before that and never noticed an issue other than oil vapor still making it through.

you can still run a catch-can, just don't vent it to the intake.
Good catch. Technically I was referring to an oil air separator. Those are typically what are used to separate the oil from the PCV system (such as the Ford Performance kit). I am using a true catch can kit (Peterson breather can) and venting to atmosphere instead!

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Hey Kevin, a few questions:

1. does the gt500 pickup fit the older 5.0 oil pumps (like MMR's Hurricane)?

2. Do you have more info anywhere on your breather setup? I want to switch to something similar.

3. How have you been liking the Accusump?

4. Could you make a how-to for your head to head connection system (is that oil or coolant)?

Maybe You could make youtube videos on each of these? LOVE YOUR YOUTUBE CONTENT MAN

Last edited:
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hey Kevin, a few questions:

1. does the gt500 pickup fit the older 5.0 oil pumps (like MMR's Hurricane)?

2. Do you have more info anywhere on your breather setup? I want to switch to something similar.

3. How have you been liking the Accusump?

4. Could you make a how-to for your head to head connection system (is that oil or coolant)?

Maybe You could make youtube videos on each of these? LOVE YOUR YOUTUBE CONTENT MAN
Hey Tiberius!

Answering your questions in order:
  1. It does not. The GT500 pump utilizes new mounting for the pickup (directly into the pump itself vs. main bolt). WIll need both the pickup tube and pump
  2. I'm in the middle of upgrading the breather setup now. I'll detail more info in the next 1-2 weeks when the engine gets back in the car (hopefully Sunday).
  3. Love it. Piece of mind and no issues with it. Keeps things lubed and ensures I have an extra 3qt to work with.
  4. The head-to-head connectors are to equalize oil pressure between the galleys in each head. This ensures that if you're getting very mild oil starvation on one side of the engine, the other side can provide pressure. These galleys are what pressurize the last adjusters. Very important for valve timing.
I'll take some pics before I put the engine in the car, but I talk about them a bit in the mid-summer upgrade video (below). I didn't go into detail how I created them because it was 3 weeks of trial and error and I gave up on the video :)

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Hey Tiberius!

Answering your questions in order:
  1. It does not. The GT500 pump utilizes new mounting for the pickup (directly into the pump itself vs. main bolt). WIll need both the pickup tube and pump
  2. I'm in the middle of upgrading the breather setup now. I'll detail more info in the next 1-2 weeks when the engine gets back in the car (hopefully Sunday).
  3. Love it. Piece of mind and no issues with it. Keeps things lubed and ensures I have an extra 3qt to work with.
  4. The head-to-head connectors are to equalize oil pressure between the galleys in each head. This ensures that if you're getting very mild oil starvation on one side of the engine, the other side can provide pressure. These galleys are what pressurize the last adjusters. Very important for valve timing.
I'll take some pics before I put the engine in the car, but I talk about them a bit in the mid-summer upgrade video (below). I didn't go into detail how I created them because it was 3 weeks of trial and error and I gave up on the video :)

Thanks for the responses, Kevin.
Since you run so much hot-track time have you also thought about bridging the heads coolant as well? Like this MMR kit?
455478XR_001.jpg