Hey Guys, I'm back!

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So after my unfortunately short time with the 18 GT, I decided to come back to the V6! The lower payment and better mileage is very welcome... Got the car used of course, 2016 with 29k miles for less than $17k. Plan is to make this exactly what Ford didn't want to make. An Ecoboost V6 premium Mustang! I'll have a build thread soon.
IMG_20181215_180559.jpg
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
My quiet hopes of you getting a Camaro and sending that low price digital dash are destroyed! Kidding, welcome back to the V6 life, can't wait to see everything you do with this one! Just make sure to update your signature and vehicle on the profile.

Looks like it has spacers already too?

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome back. That’s a great deal. The v6 is an extremely good bargain to be had. Can’t wait to see your build.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
My quiet hopes of you getting a Camaro and sending that low price digital dash are destroyed! Kidding, welcome back to the V6 life, can't wait to see everything you do with this one! Just make sure to update your signature and vehicle on the profile.

Looks like it has spacers already too?
Haha sorry! The cluster is one of the first things that will be going into this vehicle.

Took delivery today and I already installed the sync 3 screen and 25mm wheel spacers. Trying to gather up the components needed to complete the cluster swap and then that will be next in terms of mods. Looking to get a GT 3" catback (in prep for the turbos, maybe MBRP but not sure yet) and tune. Will likely be swapping out the radiator for an EB unit in order to utilize an EB style intercooler and have more room for plumbing. It will be a bit before I have all the supporting mods in place to install the turbos but at least it should be fun building it up! I wasn't able to do that with the GT which made me enjoy it less.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
You definitely do not waste any time whatsoever! At this rate, turbos will be done by end of January.

I know it's compatible and all, but why the Ecoboost turbos instead of one of the other kit options out there/coming up shortly? The other kits should be just as daily driveable while having way more potential for power.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
You definitely do not waste any time whatsoever! At this rate, turbos will be done by end of January.

I know it's compatible and all, but why the Ecoboost turbos instead of one of the other kit options out there/coming up shortly? The other kits should be just as daily driveable while having way more potential for power.
I like how the EB turbos can be packaged on this engine. None of the other FI options for the 3.7 keep things as compact as I would like. The idea is to build it with stock EB turbos and if I want more power down the road, I can swap them out for upgraded units designed for the F150. I am mostly looking for the near instant torque the smaller EB turbos will provide. That and I am fairly confident I can piece the kit together much cheaper then going with an already existing FI kit.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I wondered about that too, wasn't 100% sure if the adapter manifold would take all the upgrade options available for the F150 turbos. Hopefully you're able to put it all together as cheap as USMCtoARMY was able to nab his for, he got a killer deal if everything works out.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Zack will beat me too the assembly punch as I will be in Germany for awhile.

Zack just make sure you port everything short of the block itself, run a GT throttlebody, step 2 spark plugs, and either rebuild the turbos since early gen ecoboost turbos have a failure issue with oil leaks. Hopefully the set u get is rebuilt or go straight for the Borg Warner GT drop in set.

The one thing that kills this set from being over the top is there is no room to make large down pipes because of the firewall. Its restrictive there and the biggest mine got are 2 1/4. I want to lower the engine and see if its will give me more room. Plus the turbos themselves are just to restrictive but for what u get at the price its flipping awesome for a street setup, it's just not any better than that...no track for this one

Last edited:

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Haha sorry! The cluster is one of the first things that will be going into this vehicle.

Took delivery today and I already installed the sync 3 screen and 25mm wheel spacers. Trying to gather up the components needed to complete the cluster swap and then that will be next in terms of mods. Looking to get a GT 3" catback (in prep for the turbos, maybe MBRP but not sure yet) and tune. Will likely be swapping out the radiator for an EB unit in order to utilize an EB style intercooler and have more room for plumbing. It will be a bit before I have all the supporting mods in place to install the turbos but at least it should be fun building it up! I wasn't able to do that with the GT which made me enjoy it less.
You believe the ecoboost radiator will be sufficient or even worth the hassle in terms of cost? Radiators aren't cheap and what we have is pretty darn good.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
You believe the ecoboost radiator will be sufficient or even worth the hassle in terms of cost? Radiators aren't cheap and what we have is pretty darn good.
I do not think the 3.7 will have an issue with the slightly smaller radiator. That said I am trying to source a EB PP radiator that is supposedly larger then the standard EB just in case. Having the EB radiator will make the plumbing so much easier to route up to an FMIC then currently (not much space at all currently). Trying to find a complete takeout unit. From what I have seen that might be in the $400 range or so though...

The backup plan is to always just go with a more universal FMIC and figure out a way to route the charge pipes to it.

Also trying to look into the gen 2 3.5 turbo manifolds and turbos. I am interested to see if they revised the turbos at all since they certainly revised the manifolds to be less restrictive. I will be creating my own adapter plates so I just have to decide if I am going with the earlier gen manifolds or latest gen.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
So it looks like the gen 2s do have different turbos. The downside is electronically controlled wastegates...

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
@USMCtoARMY

Have a build thread or somewhere you are documenting your progress?

Last edited:

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Having bought my 2015 V6 just three months ago, that's a great deal. It will be fun to see how your build goes.
Sponsored