HELP: OBD-II port not working

drewbobbaker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Ecoboost
Need some help or guidance from the group here. Just bought a '16 Roush Stage 3 from a guy in Florida and when I took it to get inspected the OBD port won't register so they can run the emissions test. I've tried two facilities and both had the same result, the port appeared to be dead. The previous owner had it dyno tuned, but I confirmed with the owner and with the Dyno shop that they maintained emissions-safe levels and wouldn't have done anything to the port to the disable it.

Here's where it get's weirder, I've checked the fuses that I believe are linked to the port and they seem fine. On top of that, I connected the SCT tuner that was used with the car for tuning and that powers up just fine?!? Checked the ports power with the tuner as well and it's getting 12v power so it doesn't seem like it's being underpowered or anything like that. So what am I missing here?

Should also note, the roush has an active exhaust which I found out has a tie-in adapter at the OBD port to power the active exhaust switch in the cabin. But I didn't have any issues powering the SCT tuner with the adapter plugged in, as well as with the stock OBD port itself. Hopefully someone else has had this issue and found the culprit, i'm fairly stumped.
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Need some help or guidance from the group here. Just bought a '16 Roush Stage 3 from a guy in Florida and when I took it to get inspected the OBD port won't register so they can run the emissions test. I've tried two facilities and both had the same result, the port appeared to be dead. The previous owner had it dyno tuned, but I confirmed with the owner and with the Dyno shop that they maintained emissions-safe levels and wouldn't have done anything to the port to the disable it.

Here's where it get's weirder, I've checked the fuses that I believe are linked to the port and they seem fine. On top of that, I connected the SCT tuner that was used with the car for tuning and that powers up just fine?!? Checked the ports power with the tuner as well and it's getting 12v power so it doesn't seem like it's being underpowered or anything like that. So what am I missing here?

Should also note, the roush has an active exhaust which I found out has a tie-in adapter at the OBD port to power the active exhaust switch in the cabin. But I didn't have any issues powering the SCT tuner with the adapter plugged in, as well as with the stock OBD port itself. Hopefully someone else has had this issue and found the culprit, i'm fairly stumped.
"Emission safe levels" = Nonsense. Not really possible because as soon as you change the tune, it doesn't matter to the EPA even if the car ran cleaner with the new tune.

I would take it to the tuner and have them see what they can do.

OP
OP

drewbobbaker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Ecoboost
"Emission safe levels" = Nonsense. Not really possible because as soon as you change the tune, it doesn't matter to the EPA even if the car ran cleaner with the new tune.

I would take it to the tuner and have them see what they can do.
I would if I could but i'm in Texas and the car was tuned in Florida :/ Regardless of the emissions levels though, I can't really test the theory that they're fine until I can get the OBD port to register at the inspection station.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would if I could but i'm in Texas and the car was tuned in Florida :/ Regardless of the emissions levels though, I can't really test the theory that they're fine until I can get the OBD port to register at the inspection station.
Start here - the roush has an active exhaust which I found out has a tie-in adapter at the OBD port to power the active exhaust switch in the cabin.

Edit: try disconnecting the battery for a while and try again.

OP
OP

drewbobbaker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Ecoboost
I'll give that a try this weekend. Here's another twist, I stopped at Advance Auto and tried their loaner OBD scanner and that powered fine, so maybe it's just something specific with the ones used by inspection stations?

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll give that a try this weekend. Here's another twist, I stopped at Advance Auto and tried their loaner OBD scanner and that powered fine, so maybe it's just something specific with the ones used by inspection stations?
Does it have the original tune on it or the one from the tuner. They may have bricked it regards the check stations. Just guessing here.

OP
OP

drewbobbaker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Ecoboost
It's the original tuner so it has the original tune still, but the car has a fore fuel system on it so I hesitate to revert back to the original tune for fear of messing something up. I did read some older threads that mention turning the 02 sensors off with the tuner can block the emissions scanners from reading the car? But the car still has Cats on it so I don't believe they would've disabled the 02 sensors for any reason. Probably something I need to check with the tuner though to be sure.

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
just a thought...

Have you looked at the emission completion yet. Basically the computer sets it all to complete and should pass emissions. I use an app called TORQ on Android to view this. If you unplug the battery, it will reset these checks till you complete the cycles again.

Tuners will sometimes disable 02's in tunes for the vehicle. Maybe the testing center is seeing that and kicking it out.

OP
OP

drewbobbaker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Ecoboost
just a thought...

Have you looked at the emission completion yet. Basically the computer sets it all to complete and should pass emissions. I use an app called TORQ on Android to view this. If you unplug the battery, it will reset these checks till you complete the cycles again.

Tuners will sometimes disable 02's in tunes for the vehicle. Maybe the testing center is seeing that and kicking it out.
Thanks Stephen, ya I did some more digging over the weekend and got an OBD scanner as well. I confirmed the 02's have been disabled as well as Heated CAT so I'm thinking the emissions center is not reading the port because it's not "ready". I'm not sure if I can enable these with the SCT tuner without changing the tune or if I need to have a new tune done that has them enabled, but that definitely seems like the route I need to go.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you know who wrote the original tune they should send you a revised epa compliant tune at no charge.

Sponsored
OP
OP

drewbobbaker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Ecoboost
If you know who wrote the original tune they should send you a revised epa compliant tune at no charge.
Ya it was Palm Beach Dyno in Florida but they don't seem to want to support me very much since i'm out of their "1 year support" range ....

OP
OP

drewbobbaker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Ecoboost
I can see the custom tunes they have on the device, but I have no idea what "R1d" stands for. I'm assuming PBD is Palm Beach Dyno, and obviously know what 93 and E85 are referring to, but I have no way of knowing if any of those tunes are epa compliant.

SCT Tunes.png

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'll bet all have the O2's turned off.

OP
OP

drewbobbaker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Ecoboost
What's the point of turning the 02's off if the cat's were never removed I wonder?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)