Sponsored

Help needed. 2018 A10 with trans issue

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
i never seen an issue with the A10 that wasnt program related. seen several people disconnect battery or get tune reflased.
Actually, there are (2) major issues that have affected the 10R80 to date:

1) valve body failures
2) 2-3 shift issues because of one way clutch cluster failures

I’ve been keeping the 10R80 info updated in this thread for anyone who needs it:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-a10-most-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/
Sponsored

OP
OP
ElCid08

ElCid08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Add mine to the list for a valve body failure cobra jet! Ford just called and said that’s what it is. He said that’s the least invasive fix as well so that’s a positive. They are going to replace the valve body and hopefully road test it tomorrow and I’ll have it back tomorrow or Monday

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Add mine to the list for a valve body failure cobra jet! Ford just called and said that’s what it is. He said that’s the least invasive fix as well so that’s a positive. They are going to replace the valve body and hopefully road test it tomorrow and I’ll have it back tomorrow or Monday
Glad to hear it’s getting fixed and you’ll have it back soon! Do post up how it is after the fix. Also remember since it is an adaptive learning trans, it may be initially “clunky” as it relearns your driving style and should smooth out within 1k miles or less.

OP
OP
ElCid08

ElCid08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Update. Got it back today after work! So far so good! I can tell the trans is in the “ adaptive learning” phase. The dealer printout lists the two codes the car threw, then says ‘removed valve body clean and inspect install and retest. Issue still present. Remove valve body and replace. Retest. Works properly at this time’. Looks like they replaced the valve body, and all of the trans fluid. All under warranty of course. SO good to have the car back. Hopefully this is the only issue she has.

orangefury5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So only a few days after posting on here saying my 18’ GT has no issues....it has issues. Go figure. 10,200 miles on her. Got in my car after dinner tonight, shifted into reverse no problem, put it in Drive and it didn’t engage right away. Took a few seconds and it violently shifted into Drive and I got the dreaded wrench light with “see manual”...and the SES light. Drove slowly a bit and it’s definitely not shifting correctly. It’s in D, and it’s rev matching some gears like it’s in S+ mode. The shift from 1 to 2 isn’t normal...it’s holding until 3k rpm or so before it shifts under slow acceleration. Got home, only a 5 min ride away...and put it in park. Then shifted back into D and it didn’t engage immediately again....maybe 5 seconds went by and it threw itself into drive so roughly it felt like a minor traffic collision. This is all just fantastic, since these 18’s have had zero trans issues right? Lol. Any advice or thoughts on what this may be would be appreciated. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning first thing. Thanks in advance
What you described just happened to me this morning on my way to work. At lunch i went to move the car and got the same issue again. Currently waiting on the tow truck to get the car back to the dealer. =(

Sponsored

OP
OP
ElCid08

ElCid08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Oh man. Sorry to hear that. Be sure and mention the valve body. My advisor actually said that Ford corporate Told them to completely pull the transmission at first, then the dealer investigated a little further and found that it was the valve body that needed to be replaced. Wish you the best, let us know what the dealer says, and if you have any other questions for me since I just went through this don’t hesitate to ask

orangefury5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Oh man. Sorry to hear that. Be sure and mention the valve body. My adviser actually said that Ford corporate Told them to completely pull the transmission at first, then the dealer investigated a little further and found that it was the valve body that needed to be replaced. Wish you the best, let us know what the dealer says, and if you have any other questions for me since I just went through this don’t hesitate to ask
Good Morning. I appreciate the support. I was able to have Ford Roadside Assistance tow the car to the nearest dealer. By the time i got there and checked in, the dealer was not able to take look. They will be able to take a look this morning. I did mention the valve body to the Service Adviser this morning. I will know more today.

I am really worried however. I do have nGuage with Lund 93 ocatne tune. I just hope that whatever the issue may be that its still under warranty, I have 15k miles on my mustang right now. Its my daily driver and i rarely get on it. i have never tracked it or taken it to the strip.

orangefury5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Any update? Did you hear from the dealership?
Good Morning. They did look into the car yesterday. The tech said the transmission needed to come off so they can troubleshoot further. They mentioned its definitely a mechanical thing internal on the transmission that is the issue. I will know more today on the extent of the problem. They say it may take a few days depending on what parts they need to order.

OP
OP
ElCid08

ElCid08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
That’s what they said to me at first. That the trans would prob need to come out. Then they came back with a valve body issue.

Sponsored

orangefury5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That’s what they said to me at first. That the trans would prob need to come out. Then they came back with a valve body issue.
Some good news this morning. Everything is covered under warranty (this was a huge relief) . So there are a few items they did have to order (I wont have the full list until the repair is complete). Im just really happy my car is being repaired. I can definitely wait. No rush on my end. Ill keep you posted once i get the full report. They said next week end of week is a good estimate on when the repair will be done.

OP
OP
ElCid08

ElCid08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
That’s great news! Yep, that’s about how long mine was in the shop as well. Keep us posted and have a great weekend! Did they give you a loaner?

orangefury5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That’s great news! Yep, that’s about how long mine was in the shop as well. Keep us posted and have a great weekend! Did they give you a loaner?
I finally got the loaner today. I got a new Ecosport. I definitely miss my car. Past week has been really nice out. I was planing on driving to Michigan to go that Ford Garage Prime Burger place this past weekend. I will have to reschedule that trip.

orangefury5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sorry it took so long for the update. Been dealing with a few things. In the end yes it was a Valve Body (along with a few other parts as well). A few hours after picking up the car from the dealer (12.21.2018) my car was hit in a parking garage. The person left and did not leave a note. The passenger fender is cracked near the headlight and damage to the bumper as well. Also the a Checking Engine light popped up yesterday. Good Times.