The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I'm assuming with options 1 & 2 you want to stay black?

OP
OP
RowdyS197

RowdyS197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Avery
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I'm assuming with options 1 & 2 you want to stay black?
Yessir, all the other accents on the car are black. I think it'd look weird with any other color.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Why 18 in the rear? Is this a drag setup?

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
RowdyS197

RowdyS197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Avery
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Why 18 in the rear? Is this a drag setup?
I'm planning on a Whipple next year, so I'm not opposed to a drag sized wheel in the back.

The main reason for an 18x11 is that they're on sale. Currently with the tires that I want option 2 is going to be about $3300. changing the rears to 19x11 would bump that up another few hundred at least.

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I'm planning on a Whipple next year, so I'm not opposed to a drag sized wheel in the back.

The main reason for an 18x11 is that they're on sale. Currently with the tires that I want option 2 is going to be about $3300. changing the rears to 19x11 would bump that up another few hundred at least.
Oh how I've made a few money-saving driven choices that I've regretted. You may not, but I recall numerous mods in decades past where cost-cutting decisions overruled my real desires. Once the mod was in place I kept trying to convince myself it didn't look as awkward as it really did. :facepalm:

In the end on several of those situations I swallowed my pride, accepted my losses, and went back doing what I REALLY wanted in the first place, albeit a bit poorer than I would have been had I focused on the desired look or performance rather than price. I'm sure a lot of people on this forum can attest to improving upon their improvements when reality set in.

OP
OP
RowdyS197

RowdyS197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Avery
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Oh how I've made a few money-saving driven choices that I've regretted. You may not, but I recall numerous mods in decades past where cost-cutting decisions overruled my real desires. Once the mod was in place I kept trying to convince myself it didn't look as awkward as it really did. :facepalm:

In the end on several of those situations I swallowed my pride, accepted my losses, and went back doing what I REALLY wanted in the first place, albeit a bit poorer than I would have been had I focused on the desired look or performance rather than price. I'm sure a lot of people on this forum can attest to improving upon their improvements when reality set in.
Yep I understand what you're saying 100%. I did that with my S197, hence why I'm asking opinions for my s550.

It'd likely be an extra 150 per wheel and 100 per tire if I go to 19's in the rear. So an extra $500, bringing the total for option 2 to $3800. That's more than I'd like to spend for those wheels.

I'm considering 18's in the rear because I like the staggered look of a drag pack. 19's in the rear isn't a requirement for me. Thus why I have 18's as an option.

Thank you for your input though! Which style wheels do you prefer?

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I would suggest never add a wheel thats a replica of another model
and I would go 20" rims....The handling improvement difference over the 18s and 19s
is tremendous

OP
OP
RowdyS197

RowdyS197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Avery
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
and I would go 20" rims....The handling improvement difference over the 18s and 19s
is tremendous
Thank for your input. Personally I'm not a fan of the way 20's look on these cars. I also like a little bit more sidewall on my set ups.

I normally wouldn't run reps either, but from my research these replicas are actually better quality than oem. They're significantly lighter and also rotary forged as compared to cast for the oem's.

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i really like the apex wheels and was gonna do something similar in the future. the mach wheels are awesome but as much brake dust as we put out i would never want to clean those wheels, pp wheels are bad enough.

OP
OP
RowdyS197

RowdyS197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Avery
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
i really like the apex wheels and was gonna do something similar in the future. the mach wheels are awesome but as much brake dust as we put out i would never want to clean those wheels, pp wheels are bad enough.
I know! The amount of brake dust from the oem pads is ridiculous. I'm going to be switching to carbon ceramic pads in the near future to remedy that problem. thats the only readon I'm considering the mach wheels!

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I like the appearance of the Mach 1 wheels more for sure, but the Apex would be a lot easier to keep clean in general.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Opt 2, but 19x10 square. Or 18x10 square. Then buy a drag setup when you increase power.

is tremendous
I think you'll find, if you hang out in the autocross/track areas, no one runs 20s. It's 18s usually, or 19s, and a short, stiff sidewall for handling.

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Yep I understand what you're saying 100%. I did that with my S197, hence why I'm asking opinions for my s550.

It'd likely be an extra 150 per wheel and 100 per tire if I go to 19's in the rear. So an extra $500, bringing the total for option 2 to $3800. That's more than I'd like to spend for those wheels.

I'm considering 18's in the rear because I like the staggered look of a drag pack. 19's in the rear isn't a requirement for me. Thus why I have 18's as an option.

Thank you for your input though! Which style wheels do you prefer?
There are a couple things I look at on wheels beyond price...One deal breaker from my experience is...Do the wheel spokes protrude outside of the outer rim plane? Curb rash on a rim edge is easier to touch up than rash on a spoke. I cannot tell from the photo angles if either of the proposed wheels poses such a risk.

I believe having the 10" wide SVE's may interfere with lock to lock turns based on more conservative recommendations I've seen on numerous other sites. Of course the offset makes a difference. I've never personally used 10" on the front but I'm sure many on this forum can give insight to confirm what aggressive diameters, widths, offsets, and tire sizes worked well. I would not be happy if I fit a tire/wheel package on my car only to learn there was an oops in the calculations.

Anyway, as for the brands/suppliers...I've been pleased with my interactions with both LMR and SVE products. I've had no dealing with Apex so someone else will need to guide you on that one.
Sponsored