Sponsored

Help me pick a tuner for EB

gregframe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Convertible
I see a lot of posts what is the "best" but we all know that is subjective. So let me tell you all what I want to do and maybe you all can help me make an informed decision. As a background I am somewhat of a seasoned Harley-Davidson tuner and I am used to far more detailed tuning than all of these car tuners offer so having some options would be nice for me. Anyway here is what I want to do:

- I want to upgrade my intake, intercooler,throttle body spacer and exhaust and have a performance tune for this config
- I want to keep the stock config for the day I take all my parts off and sell
- I have 20" wheels and would like to adjust a tune for that
- I like being able to tweak a tune to get it just right
- I may update the cam someday and would like to support that
- I may update the turbo someday and would like to support that
- I do a lot of long road traveling, so a MPG tune would be nice
- I like the idea of being able to switch tunes as needed

I like the idea of the BAMA (basically the SCT X4) tuner at AM being that as I add parts they have the "free tune for life", however, it seems they don't support anything beyond the typical bolt on upgrades.

I like the COBB tuner and its array of downloadable tunes, but they do not offer tunes for life and they seem to only offer stage 1,2,3 tunes for COBB bolt ons.

I like the performance claims of the Livernois but there is no information about what else their tuner does or what tunes are available. Seems you just get one tune and then put the tuner on the shelf.

I live in Atlanta so we have a number of custom tuning shops here so I do have the option to do a dyno run for the cams and turbo update. Not sure which tuner would be supported by custom tuners if any.

Well those are my thoughts so any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Greg
Sponsored

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
I see a lot of posts what is the "best" but we all know that is subjective. So let me tell you all what I want to do and maybe you all can help me make an informed decision. As a background I am somewhat of a seasoned Harley-Davidson tuner and I am used to far more detailed tuning than all of these car tuners offer so having some options would be nice for me. Anyway here is what I want to do:

- I want to upgrade my intake, intercooler,throttle body spacer and exhaust and have a performance tune for this config
- I want to keep the stock config for the day I take all my parts off and sell
- I have 20" wheels and would like to adjust a tune for that
- I like being able to tweak a tune to get it just right
- I may update the cam someday and would like to support that
- I may update the turbo someday and would like to support that
- I do a lot of long road traveling, so a MPG tune would be nice
- I like the idea of being able to switch tunes as needed

I like the idea of the BAMA (basically the SCT X4) tuner at AM being that as I add parts they have the "free tune for life", however, it seems they don't support anything beyond the typical bolt on upgrades.

I like the COBB tuner and its array of downloadable tunes, but they do not offer tunes for life and they seem to only offer stage 1,2,3 tunes for COBB bolt ons.

I like the performance claims of the Livernois but there is no information about what else their tuner does or what tunes are available. Seems you just get one tune and then put the tuner on the shelf.

I live in Atlanta so we have a number of custom tuning shops here so I do have the option to do a dyno run for the cams and turbo update. Not sure which tuner would be supported by custom tuners if any.

Well those are my thoughts so any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Greg
Greg,

Based on your tuning requirements I know of only one maybe two tuning devices which would fit your needs. If your looking for a programmer that can grow with you and eventually accommodate your needs as you continue to modify your car, the Cobb AP is pretty hard to beat. The Cobb does not have "lifetime tunes" but they do have a big pro tuner network with some of them offering lifetime tunes, for a fee of course. I believe that SCT (Unleashed Tuning) offers unlimited tunes also, but you still have to purchase the flash tuning device which in my opinion is far inferior than the Cobb AP. I am however biased, but I would recommend the Cobb AP because of it's ability to monitor your engine parameters, data log, couple this with Adam's lifetime tune it's a pretty tough combination to beat.

www.adamtuned.com

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
Best "tuner" is basically an opinion on these forums at this point. But if you're looking for a tuner with a display that shows everything. Cobb and Adam are both solid tunes but freaken expensive. That and im not a huge fan of him in general to begin with. SCT and brewcity or unleashed are also solid tunes also. I went with Lund and the ngauge for one. I LOVE this display on the ngauge. Probably best looking tuner and fits perfectly in the A/C vent. The other main reason is to me they're the best tuner in the game. They have the second fastest EB in the world and fastest stock turbo in the world. Not only that but their transmission tune is probably the best in the market. Another reason is they're the cheapest. Buy the ngauge and life time tunes no other money spent needed.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
The customer service from Unleashed is second to none. If you buy the SCT X4 or one of SCTs other hand held devices from Unleashed you get a custom tune with the hand held.

The X4 also allows you to monitor the engine and data log and is $100 cheaper than the Cobb AP. The AP has the ability to load multiple tunes onto the car that you can swap on the fly. If that is something you plan to do then the AP is the way to go.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I'm not sure what tuner to go with myself. I want a custom tune, and Tune+ seems to be in high regards here, and has been helping the community with all the Ecoboom scares and paranoia. But I'm still waiting to join the FB group months after asking to join. He also offers lifetime tunes for whenever you keep adding upgrades and such to your car, which is really appealing to me.

Livernois is literally 30 or so minutes from my house, but they don't offer custom tunes to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong)? But they've been tuning EB motors since the start and I've heard nothing but good things from them.

So it's between Tune+ and Livernois for me.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
As a background I am somewhat of a seasoned Harley-Davidson tuner and I am used to far more detailed tuning than all of these car tuners offer so having some options would be nice for me.

--Greg
I have the SCT unleashed tune... but if I were you, I'd go with COBB and Adam as the tuner. Why? I'm thinking you might want a tune and a transmission tune as well. Adam has experience with both... if you are a tuner already, then you more than likely want to "get it right".

Read some of Adam's posts and you will understand why he has such a vast following. I don't agree with everything adam puts out but there is no denying he has helped this forum more than any other tuner (answered questions, posts, projects, etc). Even though I have another tune, he has answered questions for me in private chat.

I've been in a couple of situations and wish I had the COBB (pulled up to the only station in an area I don't know and it only had 87 and when I drop off my car to valet -- cobb tune will quickly deal with those two situations. SCT will take care of the 87 issue after you flash back to stock tune, 10 minutes or so).

Why don't I have an adam tune? I'm new to tunes and decided to go with unleashed since I needed something basic. I'd switch now, but the price for Adam's tune makes no sense to me.

If I were looking to purchase a tune for a new car, no doubt I'd go with Adam.

Don't get me wrong though, I still recommend unleashed for some people, if they want something inexpensive and basic.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
cobb all day. i had an accessport on my wrx it was great. livernois is a good tuner, but their programmer is in serious need of an update, and you cant datalog with it either

would you pay $600 for this?? lol

ex_q80_w400_h_images_ePIM_original_P04_LPP611101-631125_main.jpg

Last edited:

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the SCT unleashed tune... but if I were you, I'd go with COBB and Adam as the tuner. Why? I'm thinking you might want a tune and a transmission tune as well. Adam has experience with both... if you are a tuner already, then you more than likely want to "get it right".

Read some of Adam's posts and you will understand why he has such a vast following. I don't agree with everything adam puts out but there is no denying he has helped this forum more than any other tuner (answered questions, posts, projects, etc). Even though I have another tune, he has answered questions for me in private chat.

I've been in a couple of situations and wish I had the COBB (pulled up to the only station in an area I don't know and it only had 87 and when I drop off my car to valet -- cobb tune will quickly deal with those two situations. SCT will take care of the 87 issue after you flash back to stock tune, 10 minutes or so).

Why don't I have an adam tune? I'm new to tunes and decided to go with unleashed since I needed something basic. I'd switch now, but the price for Adam's tune makes no sense to me.

If I were looking to purchase a tune for a new car, no doubt I'd go with Adam.

Don't get me wrong though, I still recommend unleashed for some people, if they want something inexpensive and basic.
Lund is cheaper than unleashed.... Just saying

That's who UPR used by the way

Smarz1018

ScubaSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Eco-boost

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Tune + ftw

I am probably one of the few here who has actually had 4 different tune companies. First Bama, then unleashed, the Cobb OTS, then Adam at tune+. What it will come down to is which device. I can tell you the AP is leaps and bounds ahead of the SCT. It's like comparing an iPhone, to a windows phone. If you settle on the sct, then unleashed. Don't make the same mistake I did and spend $1000 for switching devices, get Adam at tune +. Also you said you wanted a TB?? I don't think they make those for our cars so your out of luck. Am intake you would be wasting your money and an fmic is a must!!! Also a WG, will be one of the best bang for bucks period

Sponsored

NightParade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yes as others have said it sounds like to me the cobb access port would be perfect for you along with Adam from tune + with lifetime tunes. With the access port you can view real time data and log so many parameters which is really cool. Also you can have a mpg map and switch right on the fly using cruisr control button. I just finished my 93 tune with Adam and working on E30 right now and the car has really come alive. Which ever you choose good luck and have fun!

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
There is a boatload of discussion on this topic dating back almost two years. Two years of data and feedback. If you haven't lurked for weeks on end and read up on all of it, it would really be a good idea to do so. Who I went with is in my sig. Who you go with is your choice.

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just out of curiosity can some give me a logical reason as to why someone would go with Cobb/Adam over Lund/Jon?

Lund has the faster cars, half the price and support just as good (to me better but that's just an opinion). Ngauge can do just about everything the Cobb can do and then some. Not to mention to me looks better than the access port (again just an opinion)

sb1racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP
Dunno much about all the other options so my opinion is fairly biased. Although I love the Cobb, what it offers and the constant updates/changes they're making! To be able to support a 700hp Daily Driver Ecoboost, get over 20mpg on straight E85, trans brake, burnout rev limit, 2-step and working on traction control... All fairly awesome! Then add Adam from Tune+ behind the tune and to me you have the entire package!!

I'm in Michigan and Adam remote tunes my car from Minnesota, logistics don't mean much in todays modern world. Actually dyno tuned my car yesterday, spent like 4 hours working with me. My car has transformed from bone stock, to 11's, to hopefully now 10's (we'll find out soon)... All along the way Adam has been there to support me 110% and has probably done over a hundred tune revisions (best $150 I ever spent lol) for me...

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Just out of curiosity can some give me a logical reason as to why someone would go with Cobb/Adam over Lund/Jon?

Lund has the faster cars, half the price and support just as good (to me better but that's just an opinion). Ngauge can do just about everything the Cobb can do and then some. Not to mention to me looks better than the access port (again just an opinion)
I've had both and I stuck with Adam. I'll provide my reasons below, but first, let's add a disclaimer: This is my opinion just like everyone else has an opinion. There's no need for anyone to get their panties in a ruffle over what is *my opinion*. I was going to stay out of this thread because it usually turns into a crap show, however, since I have spent time with both tunes, both on the road and the race track, I should probably add insight from my experiences.

First off, let's discuss the tuning devices themselves. I can honestly say that I've never loathed a device quite like the nGauge. The UI is clunky and the build quality reminds me of a Chinese toy. Recording a datalog on the nGauge requires several steps whereas it's just one click of a button on the Cobb. Also, downloading datalogs to the computer is much more straight forward and simple. I've used every tuning device on the market with one car or another, and I can honestly say that the Accessport (AP) UI and hardware beats everything else, hands down. In regards to the build of the device, it was terrible to me. I would have much preferred the X4 over the nGauge. The touchscreen is resistive touchscreen. That means it's pressure based input on the screen vs heat based input (like on a capacitive display, i.e any modern smart phone). I would press on the right side of the screen and it'd log input on the left side of the screen. I wish I was joking, but I'm not kidding. Out of 10 inputs, I'd say that at least 6 of those were incorrectly registered. That drove me nuts! When I had the nGauge, a lot of the PIDs (parameters for monitoring what the engine is doing) weren't available. It didn't have a 1/10th of what the AP has. Truthfully, I think my experience would have been MUCH better with the X4 instead of the nGauge. I wouldn't take 1,000 of those things for free even if I could resell them for $500 a piece.

Secondly, let's discuss the tunes themselves. I've ran 93, E30, and race gas tunes with Adam (Tune+) and 93 and race gas with Lund. I'll agree that Lund's transmission tuning is VERY good, but it doesn't make up for the lack of performance when compared to Adam's tuning. Adam also does great work with the transmission tuning and my old transmission tuning from him was on point. I'm not trying to crap on Jon II or his work, but it just wasn't there when I was testing his tuning. My 93 tune from Adam felt as good as the race gas tune from Lund, and my E30 tune would eat up the race gas tune from Lund. I figured this out over quite a few events at 4 different drag strips. Heck, I could run more timing/boost on Adam's tuning (race gas) with 0 knock yet flash over to Lund's tuning (race gas) with less timing/boost and get knock — on RACE GAS. When I had the Lund tune, I asked about doing an E30 mix, but he didn't want to do that as he didn't trust the mixtures, as in how much it could vary from fill to fill (or at least that's what I took away from it). Jon was a great guy to deal with in regards to customer service and communication, but there was some strategies that he used in his tuning that I also didn't think was the best course for tuning an EcoBoost car. The EBM hasn't been my first rodeo with the EB platform, so I know a little bit about them and what they seem to like. Between the tuning hardware and Adam's tune performance, it's just there time and time again. Plus, Cobb is ALWAYS adding new features, like Traction Control or Transbrake, which will continue to keep it leagues ahead of the competition. That in and of itself is a dang good reason to stay with a Protune.

Yes, Lund does have the world's fastest stock turbo EBM, but that car is also running race gas, WMI, and nitrous (100 shot). I'm sure Adam could pull off some crazy stuff with that much protection too. Take a car with tunes from both Adam and Lund to the dragstrip, like I did, and you'll see the difference first hand. I have nothing to gain by saying any of the aforementioned either. It's just a very short explanation of my experiences with both Adam and Lund. I've had different tuners, and I've stayed with Adam. I wouldn't change that decision or regret it either.
Sponsored

Last edited: