Help me identify suspension squeak + Odd sway bar install

LetItRide1978

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Hello everyone. I have a 2019 GT PP1 with the MagneRide handling pack, M-9602-M, which includes sway bars (M-5490-G) and springs (M-5300-W). Also have a Borla S Type Active Cat Back.

1. I am hearing a faint squeaking (metallic, vibration/rubbing sounding is the best way I can think of to describe it) noise coming the rear right corner of my car when making hard right turns. The harder the turn the louder the squeak. I don't hear it often when just going straight, just little bit when going over bumps that only affect the right side wheels. I do not hear anything when I push on this corner of the car from the outside. I took my spare tire and jack stand out of the wheel well in the trunk and still hear the noise while driving. I made sure the rear seats were locked into place and fixed a loose trim piece behind one of the rear seats. The muffler on the right side has a little play compared to the left but I can't replicate the noise jiggling the muffler up and down. Anything else I should check? I had the parts installed on the car very early on so I don't recall if the squeak was there when I bought the car.

2. I did not know the M-5490-G sway bars were adjustable and my dealer did not ask how I wanted like them set up when I had them installed. I was curious (bored) tonight so I gave the car a reach-around to determine how they were installed. The rear bar is bolted through the inner (stiffer) hole and the front bar is bolted through the outer (softer) hole. Any reason why the bars would be set up like this? I am thinking I should go to the dealer to have one of the bars adjusted. This is my warm weather car and it will likely never see the track. Looking for the best street handling performance over straight line performance. What setting would you guys recommend I use? I am assuming the stiffer setting is still fairly conservative compared to other aftermarket options.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Set front bar to medium or stiff, and rear bar to full soft.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
For the squeak, check that your rear bar bushings are lubed with some gnarly grease. Also, I believe the “W” springs are progressive; these types of springs usually have rubber padding on the tightly-wound portion to keep noise down—if this padding exists and slid off you could get noises.

For the sway bars start with medium front, soft rear and then dial-in what you want based on your driving preference.

OP
OP

LetItRide1978

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
The sway bars are two way adjustable so it's either soft (outer) or stiff (inner). There is no medium setting.
Sponsored