Sponsored

Help me decide: MAP P1.5 with 3.55's, or Turbo with 3.55's.

AngelOreo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JimmyG
Vehicle(s)
2015 - Ecoboost Premium - 6mt - Deep Impact
I know the quick answer is Turbo... I know... but not so fast. (yes, pun intended :D)

80% of my driving in local and many times in traffic. I will only go to the track once a year if that. I am more of a red light to red light kinda driver, and some highway. I have my wife and kids with me typically, when not working, and safety if typically at the top of my list. This means running to redline in each gear is unlikely. I also intend to ONLY USE 93'. I can't justify the RGA, nor do I have any place to get E85 to make E30. So assume only 93'.

I am really looking for Low-End usable power... 2.5-5500. I am really unhappy with the current low end giddy-up. I have base 3.31 gears and this combined with nothing but a tune, just annoys me. Adam's tune made a HUGE difference overall, but you know nothing lasts forever.

I noticed that most turbo upgrades seem to move the power to 3500+, with the lower end being even lower than it is now. I also noticed that full bolt-ons, with only 93', will only produce 335/410 if I am lucky.

I would love to clear 410whp/410wtq some day, (don't ask why 410), but not at the expense of having minimal or sluggish performance from 2000-3500 when tooling around locally which I do most of the time given the roads and traffic. That is why I am thinking about an upgrade to 3.55's.

Thoughts?

PS.
I am committed to MA-Performance, so please keep suggestions within that realm.
Sponsored

8borerifle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Mustang
My 2015 Ecoboost PP premium is stock for now, but I can tell you from experience that a larger turbo kills around town driveability. I had a 1984 Monte Carlo SS that I installed a complete drivetrain from a 1987 Buick GN. With an after market chip it had a lot of torque around town. I swapped to a TA-61 turbo and it was really sluggish to drive, slow spooling compaired to the stock turbo. Pulled much harder on top end, but 99% of my driving was around town. Did not like to drive it near as much! I am 67 years old and had a 60's muscle car that I swapped the single 4 barrel for a dual 4 barrel setup, same result. Driveability sucked but stronger on top end. Hope this helps. Also, I ended up blowing a head gasket on the GN motor running 25 lbs boost. car would run 11.01 @ 122mph.

bluestang50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 2020 Explorer ST, 1990 Mustang GT turbo
My 2015 Ecoboost PP premium is stock for now, but I can tell you from experience that a larger turbo kills around town driveability. I had a 1984 Monte Carlo SS that I installed a complete drivetrain from a 1987 Buick GN. With an after market chip it had a lot of torque around town. I swapped to a TA-61 turbo and it was really sluggish to drive, slow spooling compaired to the stock turbo. Pulled much harder on top end, but 99% of my driving was around town. Did not like to drive it near as much! I am 67 years old and had a 60's muscle car that I swapped the single 4 barrel for a dual 4 barrel setup, same result. Driveability sucked but stronger on top end. Hope this helps. Also, I ended up blowing a head gasket on the GN motor running 25 lbs boost. car would run 11.01 @ 122mph.
You literally can not compare that experience to what the OP was asking. Tuning and turbo size will determine the around town driving experience. It can be a complete dog or it can be better. OP speak with Adam directly about your goals and he will give you the best solution to fit your goals.

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I can barely keep the stock turbo out of boost in the city. I love it so will try to hang on as long as possible. Bigger turbo will hurt your spool time so I think the P1.5 is the way to go!

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I would recommend the P1.5

I can't remember what all comes in that kit but I think my car would be similar (with different tuner/manufacturers obviously). It feels great as is, I don't think you would really be able to legally feel the benefit of the upgraded turbo on these Delaware streets. But there is that stretch of i495 ;)

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
P1.5

OP
OP

AngelOreo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JimmyG
Vehicle(s)
OP speak with Adam directly about your goals and he will give you the best solution to fit your goals.
He's been really jammed up so I was opting for the community approach. I know Adam would help, as he has always been very responsive and informative, hence my commitment. I value Service and Support over everything else.

That said, I may have to call him versus PMing to really review my goals.

OP do you have 3:15's? There's a whole different housing for 3:31's and 3:55's which might mean some big $$$ to change.
I have the 3:31's.

I bought a pre-owned an '03 cobra that was pretty sick, and the previous owner also had 4.10's in it. Again, I realize we are not comparing apples to apples, but while the car was useless in first gear even with 315's on the back, it was absurdly, and ridiculously fun to drive. The power and gear modified torque on it was literally breathtaking.

As Adam politely reminded me, they are two completely different cars. WHile that is 100% true, I'd like to mimic that feeling with low end, but SAFE power the best I can. Looking at the P1.5 Dyno graph posted on MAP's website, I really think that is best for me, but that Dyno graph is pulled from the forum of Jason's car, and it is using RGA. Here is the link, in case I am not recalling correctly.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23191

I am afraid that eventually, and I realize EVERY decision has risks, I will want the bigger turbo, and then I will have thrown money away, even if I can resell at a reduced cost. That is also why I was think MAYBE the P5858 with the Ball Bearing journal upgrade might be better?

That said, back to the P1.5 I am leaning to, perhaps when I can afford it, I could consider doing a Stage 3 or 5 Head P&P for more gains using only 93' with the P1.5. I realize I will need an aux fuel\Fuel System upgrade with that as well...

Any-who, I am sorry for the really long post, but I am trying to make a smart decision and future proof my choice the best I can.

I very much appreciate everyone's time and input.

PS.
Yes Adam, I realize you are *FacePalming* with yet another lengthy Jim post, and for that I am sorry. I still owe you that drink!

OP
OP

AngelOreo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JimmyG
Vehicle(s)
I would recommend the P1.5

I can't remember what all comes in that kit but I think my car would be similar (with different tuner/manufacturers obviously). It feels great as is, I don't think you would really be able to legally feel the benefit of the upgraded turbo on these Delaware streets. But there is that stretch of i495 ;)
What? 495? You mean that stretch of road nearby that runs through Mexico? :headbang:

Sponsored

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
get the P1.5 then do a stocker turbo upgrade down the road, Adam said they were working on another turbo upgrade that will be a stocker upgrade...sort of. Too bad we cant get an awesome sequential turbo setup so we have awesome power at any RPM

OP
OP

AngelOreo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JimmyG
Vehicle(s)
I would think about a 5558 Ball Bearing or stock placement turbo if not going for 1.5.
Help me understand this idea? I am not familiar with that one. Bigger than stock, but quicker natural spooling combined with the faster ball bearing spool up?

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Turbo and gears. Chose a turbo that you can get into with modest gearing (3.55/3.73). You may never get the same jaw ripping feeling of a roots blown V8 but it will be a hoot to drive.

OP
OP

AngelOreo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JimmyG
Vehicle(s)
Turbo and gears. Chose a turbo that you can get into with modest gearing (3.55/3.73). You may never get the same jaw ripping feeling of a roots blown V8 but it will be a hoot to drive.
Perhaps the 5558 or at the largest a 5858 with 3.73'?? Will get the engine up and turbo spooling quicker, heirgo, useful.
Then i could eventually do the head p/p and piaton/rod upgrade to push it harder.

That said... Not sure. Maybe go crazy and get 4.10's again with just P1.5. What terribly wonderful dilema. Hahah
Sponsored