12enric

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Hi everyone,

I have been the owner of the base mustang with the 4” screen and I am very tired of it.

I would like to upgrade the looks and functionality without having to spend a lot of money.
For me is important. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Any ideas and experience with other devices?

Thank you very much for all your help.
Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
The only alternatives that i see are the kits from Metra, Scosche or some Android radios.
Unfortunately the Maestro kit MFT-1 with Maestro RR is only for cars with the 8-inch screen.

cthomp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I tried a couple of different replacements for the 4" Base Radio in my 2015 Mustang. First, I tried a Rosen FIT-MT15 a few years ago, but it was malfunctioning immediately after installing. So, I sent it back. A few months ago I tried out one of the ZWNAV Android Android units. I was never able to install it, as the fitment was absolutely terrible. So, that one went back too.

Ultimately, I ordered/installed a Kenwood shallow mount 2-DIN media receiver (no cutting the sub-dash for the installation) and the Scosche installation kit from Crutchfield after dealing with the failures of the previous two head units. Carplay and Android Auto functionality was the main goal of my installation. So far, I'm very pleased. The head unit is fantastic, and the climate controls are good (but not great).

I'd suggest staying away from cheap, imported junk of questionable build quality and little to no post-installation support.

OP
OP

12enric

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enric
Vehicle(s)
I tried a couple of different replacements for the 4" Base Radio in my 2015 Mustang. First, I tried a Rosen FIT-MT15 a few years ago, but it was malfunctioning immediately after installing. So, I sent it back. A few months ago I tried out one of the ZWNAV Android Android units. I was never able to install it, as the fitment was absolutely terrible. So, that one went back too.

Ultimately, I ordered/installed a Kenwood shallow mount 2-DIN media receiver (no cutting the sub-dash for the installation) and the Scosche installation kit from Crutchfield after dealing with the failures of the previous two head units. Carplay and Android Auto functionality was the main goal of my installation. So far, I'm very pleased. The head unit is fantastic, and the climate controls are good (but not great).

I'd suggest staying away from cheap, imported junk of questionable build quality and little to no post-installation support.

So basically what you are saying is that the best option is to buy an aftermarket radio from a good brand and use a kit to install it?

Did you tried the Phoenix android one?

OP
OP

12enric

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enric
Vehicle(s)
The only alternatives that i see are the kits from Metra, Scosche or some Android radios.
Unfortunately the Maestro kit MFT-1 with Maestro RR is only for cars with the 8-inch screen.
Did you tried any android radio?

Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
No, i didn't. I stay as far away as possible from these radios.

cthomp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
No, I didn't try the Phoenix PX6 radio. I was watching all of the threads. The quality issues they seemed to be having with an early batch dissuaded me from buying one (especially at $900-ish). With my luck, I'd end up with a repackaged 1st batch malfunctioning radio. There didn't seem to be much post-purchase support or software updates either.

The ZWNAV radio looked promising. But, the fitment was terrible. Was going to need significant cutting/trimming to fit it into my car. Also wasn't too impressed by the build quality, seemed a bit homemade. At least I bought it from Amazon, so I was able to return it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MW84RZQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My suggestion would be to go with a shallow mount double DIN along with a Scosche ITCFD05B installation kit. My only complaint is the loss of the USB down by the power port, but I'm investigating an adapter that will let me connect the new radio's rear USB port to that particular factory USB port. The climate controls are functional, but not as nice looking as the OEM climate controls. However, the elimination of the 4" Base Radio and addition of Android Auto/Apple Carplay more than make up for it.

Look into the Alpine iLX-W650 or Kenwood DMX4707S - both shallow mount digital media receivers with Android Auto/Apple Carplay that don't require cutting of the sub-dash to fit.

OP
OP

12enric

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enric
Vehicle(s)
No, I didn't try the Phoenix PX6 radio. I was watching all of the threads. The quality issues they seemed to be having with an early batch dissuaded me from buying one (especially at $900-ish). With my luck, I'd end up with a repackaged 1st batch malfunctioning radio. There didn't seem to be much post-purchase support or software updates either.

The ZWNAV radio looked promising. But, the fitment was terrible. Was going to need significant cutting/trimming to fit it into my car. Also wasn't too impressed by the build quality, seemed a bit homemade. At least I bought it from Amazon, so I was able to return it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MW84RZQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My suggestion would be to go with a shallow mount double DIN along with a Scosche ITCFD05B installation kit. My only complaint is the loss of the USB down by the power port, but I'm investigating an adapter that will let me connect the new radio's rear USB port to that particular factory USB port. The climate controls are functional, but not as nice looking as the OEM climate controls. However, the elimination of the 4" Base Radio and addition of Android Auto/Apple Carplay more than make up for it.

Look into the Alpine iLX-W650 or Kenwood DMX4707S - both shallow mount digital media receivers with Android Auto/Apple Carplay that don't require cutting of the sub-dash to fit.
I see it does not look too bad. Wich kind of treaming did it required?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Stick w sync 3. It’s pricier but imo the aftermarket variants aren’t in same league

I’ve seen a handful of them now in person. One froze right in front of me

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
One advantage of good aftermarket headunits... they almost all have an AUX input which you can use to setup your DSP if you have one. :p

Sponsored

cthomp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
For starters, cutting/trimming the rear panel of the back of the OEM radio that is stripped to put together the new radio. Didn't want to mess up my OEM stuff, so I just sent it back. Not sure how fitment would be in the car, but it came with another whole ACM (audio control module).

OP
OP

12enric

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enric
Vehicle(s)
For starters, cutting/trimming the rear panel of the back of the OEM radio that is stripped to put together the new radio. Didn't want to mess up my OEM stuff, so I just sent it back. Not sure how fitment would be in the car, but it came with another whole ACM (audio control module).
That's a good point

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I too have been looking into replacing the head unit. Not many options, I don’t really like losing the knob for the AC controls, but that seems like a requirement.

My uncle put the Phoenix Px6 in his F250 and loved it, I just am not sold on that.
Sponsored