Sponsored

Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade help

Bob Senior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Premium
Just swapped a sync3 screen and APIM from a 2021 GT into my 2015 GT premium
Seems everything is working fine except there's no CD icon in the source section for audio. I realize the 2021 didn't have a cd player option unless it was a B an O optioned car but how do I get the icon on Mt source list. I checked Forscan spreadsheets and didn't find anything helpful
If it's as simple as making an adjustment to enable it could someone pls provide the necessary info to find and update it? Thx.
Sponsored

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
I have sync 3 in my 2015 and my CD player works fine as expected. Where did you purchase the new system from? I bought mine on Amazon and had to give the seller my VIN in a private message to make everything work, so I know its possible

OP
OP

Bob Senior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bought from a local salvage dealer, knew I'd have to work out some kinks, but the unit appears to have imported my vehicle's VIN number already. Guess it's not smart enough to know better, but if it's a Forscan update, I just don't see what option and what to change. I've also run into some Nav issues. Seems to work fine, maps show up, then after some time, I get an error message saying NAV FAULT, Navigation isn't functioning properly, Please visit your dealer for service. Turn the vehicle off and the maps show back up, until the fault shows up anywhere from 10 to 40 minutes later. Strange thing is, I was actually using the nav to see how it operates, and it seems to have been working fine, even after the maps fault where the map itself disappeared, the prompts for turns and route navigation continued with all the correct prompts. (although the voice volume is really low). So obviously some bugs here. Would love to hear some suggestions. Thanks again.

Ferrcad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Hey Bob,

Did the same conversion a couple of years back on my 2015. You need to read through this site below. Probably is your Forscan programming, also did you get a separate antenna for you NAV portion? It is needed and could be the reason for you NAV fault. You can not use the factory Ford antenna for this. Here to help where I can... If you want to PM me your current copy of your Forscan settings for all your modules I can compare to mine. Seems are cars are pretty much the same.

Thanks
Brian

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/sync-3-swap-its-all-in-here.82973/

OP
OP

Bob Senior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Brian,
Appreciate the head's up. To answer your questions, I haven't actually downloaded FORScan yet, I have the interface to hook up to the ODBII port, so will get there shortly. Also I have purchased and installed with the new APIM and screen a compatible GPS antenna, (purchased from Amazon) but found through multiple upgrade site recommendations. It works fine for a while, but after anywhere from 5 to 45 minutes. the map just drops off and I get the error message. Turn the car off, and next time it starts, it's fine again until it drops again. Accurate and no glitches while it's working though, so not sure why the error message. Tried doing a factory reset 2X to no avail. Still cuts out. Only other suggestions were bad antenna (even if new?) or bad APIM.

As for getting the CD icon into the source list, my research points to FORScan line 7DO-04-01 with
x0xx, xxxx, xxxx and changing the O to "some other value" I don't know what value to use. There is also some indication that this alone is not sufficient, and that there is also a change needed in the coding for the ACM. Have some info on the needed changes there but I don't want to change anything until I'm sure I know what I'm doing first.

Sponsored

Ferrcad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
You may still have a bad antenna... I picked one up also from Amazon and it ended up not working. I tried a different brand and type from Amazon and everything has been working fine since the new antenna. My change for that settings is 1 not 0, my line reads the following: 7D0-04-01 0103 0300 06E2

Most of all your Forscan programming needs to be updated in the APIM module.

I would not start playing with antenna/nav issues till you get all your programming correct. As I said, send me your base APIM setting and I'll compare it to mine for you. If your not familiar with the use of Forscan make sure you read up on how to use before randomly making any changes. You can screw things up pretty quickly. Pull a copy of original first or pull down your as-built data but either way do not start making changes until you have some type of backup. That's just my IT background speaking for me.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bob Senior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll work on getting that this weekend, Thanks for the help!
Sponsored