Sponsored

Hello, 1st post and few Qs if you please?

Scylla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hi folks

I've just joined and would be very grateful for any thoughts.

I have a Cayman, which I love, and am only 8 months into a 3-yr PCP. There's a modest amount of equity in the car, so I could easily get out if I chose to. The plan has always been (and still is) to keep it for term, and then look at something else.

But every time I see and hear a 5.0GT go by, it stirs the soul. I haven't driven one, and realise it's a very different car to the one I've got, but I think they're amazing.

Has anyone here moved to a GT from a lightweight 2-seater coupe? what are your feelings, pros and cons?

Finally, can you please give me your real-world mileage figures? The Cayman is actually very frugal for a sports car. I drive 5 miles a day, and a couple of hundred on the weekends.

Thanks for any answers, much obliged.

All the best

D
Sponsored

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
Can't help you with moving to a GT from a lightweight 2-seater coupe question but I've averaged 24 mpg over 10k with a mixture of long and short runs and some spirited driving. If you're gentle with it on a run you'll get more than 30 mpg ...

OP
OP
Scylla

Scylla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Can't help you with moving to a GT from a lightweight 2-seater coupe question but I've averaged 24 mpg over 10k with a mixture of long and short runs and some spirited driving. If you're gentle with it on a run you'll get more than 30 mpg ...
Thanks for the quick reply! I see you have a Bullitt on order, so I won't ask if you're happy with being a Mustang owner...!

FWIW I've averaged 26mpg in my car over 7k, in similar circumstances to you. I'm encouraged by your stats.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
I have had a Lotus Europa, several Spitfires an S2000 and a Porsche Boxster - and I rate the Mustang GT as better than all of them put together !

However - IF it is fuel economy that is the decider then dont do it!

The Mustang GT isnt owned to give a great fuel economy figure!

Spider is correct - you really can get great returns if you drive carefully ...

I find this really hard to do - I get an average of around 17 - 18 MPG :giggle:

Bob

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
@Gibbo205 maybe your best bet for moving from a lightweight car (think he previously had a 911), then there's a few others around (Sorry lads forgot your forum tags) who've moved from porsches, GT86's, and other smaller 2 seat/2+2 seaters.

I'll give you a hint, it's a totally different driving experience.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Scylla

Scylla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I have had a Lotus Europa, several Spitfires an S2000 and a Porsche Boxster - and I rate the Mustang GT as better than all of them put together !

However - IF it is fuel economy that is the decider then dont do it!

The Mustang GT isnt owned to give a great fuel economy figure!

Spider is correct - you really can get great returns if you drive carefully ...

I find this really hard to do - I get an average of around 17 - 18 MPG :giggle:

Bob
I could live with 17-18 no problem. You don't buy a 5.0 V8 for fuel economy, after all. It's just I'd heard apocryphal horror stories of single-digit mpg.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
single digit? nah!

Manders is also correct - the driving experience in a Mustang GT is different to a 2 seater sports car - why not ask your local friendly Ford dealer for a test drive? or someone on here - near to you - where in the North East are you?

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
Mine's on order, so I can only compare based on a test drive...and as my current car is a Corvette convertible it doesn't quite qualify as a lightweight coupe!

It's a great start that seeing and hearing a GT go by stirs your soul, as it's largely an emotional decision rather than a rational decision buying any non-mainstream car. The best advice is: arrange a test drive. I liked it more than enough to order one, but my priorities are: nice V8 noise, convertible, good enough ride/handling, practical enough to be a daily driver (and I just generally like US cars). When I got my Vette, every road test would say that a 911 handled better, etc, but it didn't float my boat (although I always had a soft-spot for 928s!). Equally, road tests these days say a 4-series is better than a Mustang...but again, a 4-series just doesn't do it for me.

Enjoy the test drive :-)

OP
OP
Scylla

Scylla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The dealer in Sunderland has said I can take it out, so I will take him up on the offer at some point.

Always like getting real-world experiences from people though :thumbsup:

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
if you come down to howden i'll take you out for a little spin :)

Sponsored

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do it - and see if the "dealer" will take care of the finance on the Cayman whilst you are there! :like:

OP
OP
Scylla

Scylla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Absolutely, it's all about the emotion and character of the thing. A German fast saloon might be a "better" car, but they leave me completely cold.

I don't think I'm quite ready to let the Cayman go just yet, but I've little doubt a Mustang is coming my way.

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
Hi, welcome here. As said, take a test drive in one. Ford know that once you've driven a 5.0 you'll defiantly want to buy. So they'll probably be encouraging you to push the loud pedal. Once you come back to the showroom you'll have a stupid big grin, then the salesman knows he's got you hooked.
I drove two on test and managed 20mpg, which is probably what I get now that I own one. I have had over 31mpg driving at a steady 60mph, but have had it half that when driven around town and hard acceleration from the lights. These cars are great fun. Try for yourself.

OP
OP
Scylla

Scylla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
That was my first thought....! :like:
Sponsored