Sponsored

Hello, 1st post and few Qs if you please?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I currently have a Lotus Evora and Mondeo 2.0 Ecoboost and the Mustang is much closer to the Mondeo in terms of driving feel (that isn't a criticism, as the Mondeo with sport suspension is a very well rounded car). The Evora (like the Cayman) is in a completely different league regarding handling and ride, which the Mustang can't hope to manage because of the weight and size. Apples and Oranges really, but both very good at what they do.

Garvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Mustang GT
The Cayman will run rings around the Mustang on the road, these are more muscle car than sports car and are on the rather large size for typical British B roads. Having said that the Mustang has an agility that it really has no right to posess so is by no means a bad handler.

In my opinion there are two significant downsides to the pre MY18 S550 Mustang which I hope have been overcome in the current version.

Firstly, the tyres. Junk the Pirellis if itā€™s still running on them and fit Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres - this transforms the car and current models do come fitted with them as standard.

Secondly, the exhaust headers (to accommodate right hand drive) are shockingly bad and strangle quite a few ponies from the engine. OK, so there are still well over 400 available but the downside is a bit of a flat spot at motorway speeds in top gear. For a 400+ bhp car it means changing down to make further ā€˜progressā€™ on a motorway or A road which is somewhat disappointing. The auto box will obviously do this for you. However, if the revs are kept up in the manual or sport mode is selected in the auto then this is not a problem when ā€˜hooningā€™ around. Someone with a MY18 model should be able to confirm whether this trait has been eradicated.

As for mpg, I average just over 23 but I rarely do journeys of 5 miles. My daily commute is 20 miles each way of which half is B road and the other half is motorway. I also do a number of regular cross country trips for both work and leisure. I have never been called a slow driver!

In summary, if you want a true sports car the Mustang is not for you. If you want a fast, enjoyable GT car the the Mustang fits the bill.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I sold a BMW Z4 prior to taking delivery of my Mustang.
Biggest difference i've noticed is I can no longer cut hair...:wink:

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
I sold a BMW Z4 prior to taking delivery of my Mustang.
Biggest difference i've noticed is I can no longer cut hair...:wink:
Yes but you have hair on your chest now :)

As with the above comments it drives like a muscle car but more agile that you'd expect rather than a light lithe sports car

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
The sound of the V8, especially on the 18s is far superior to the 4 pot rubbish on the new Caymans. You also won't feel like a hairdresser in a Mustang or that you bought a Cayman as couldn't afford a 911! The GT is also faster to 60 than the standard Cayman.

Matty77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Fastback now sold, 2019 GT Fastback
I went from a Cayman S Sport to a 2015 EcoBoost and then a 2019 GT. The Cayman is an altogether different animal to the Mustang, I could throw it into any corner at speed and had many white knuckle rides in the Cayman but the Mustang needs a bit more respect as it simply doesnā€™t handle the same. What the Mustang does have that the Cayman lacked is a road presence and something that stirs your pants.
My EcoBoost got at least as much attention as my Viper Green Cayman and it was just as quick. The GT however, is miles quicker, louder, gets more attention and thumbs up and I have no regrets.

OP
OP
Scylla

Scylla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Many thanks to those who posted constructive replies. Appreciate you sharing your very helpful observations and experience :thumbsup:

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
Yep just sold my 4 year old Boxster and no regrets here. I do a lot of miles, in 4 years I did 33k in a Ka and 53000 in the Boxster plus loads on my harley. Starting to commute by train to work now and to cardiff for music lessons, which is saving miles on the mustang and donā€™t need to be concerned about fuel cost the rest of the time, but Iā€™ve only had the car over a week and Iā€™m on 500 plus miles already. In the Boxster I had my eye on average mileage all the time on the dash and got up to 40 miles at one stage. In the mustang I just watch my funky gauges instead ..... havenā€™t a clue how many miles Iā€™m doing but last time it popped up on screen it was about 24, which was around the same I got out of my Discovery. Itā€™s all about smiles per miles in the mustang :like:

Iā€™m finding that the handling is very similar with the MagneRide suspension but more comfortable and with all the goodies inside, my boxster had a very basic spec with a few expensive options. The MY19 GT with a Custom pack has it all

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scylla

Scylla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yep just sold my 4 year old Boxster and no regrets here. I do a lot of miles, in 4 years I did 33k in a Ka and 53000 in the Boxster plus loads on my harley. Starting to commute by train to work now and to cardiff for music lessons, which is saving miles on the mustang and donā€™t need to be concerned about fuel cost the rest of the time, but Iā€™ve only had the car over a week and Iā€™m on 500 plus miles already. In the Boxster I had my eye on average mileage all the time on the dash and got up to 40 miles at one stage. In the mustang I just watch my funky gauges instead ..... havenā€™t a clue how many miles Iā€™m doing but last time it popped up on screen it was about 24, which was around the same I got out of my Discovery. Itā€™s all about smiles per miles in the mustang :like:

Iā€™m finding that the handling is very similar with the MagneRide suspension but more comfortable and with all the goodies inside, my boxster had a very basic spec with a few expensive options. The MY19 GT with a Custom pack has it all
Test drive on Wednesday.

Sponsored

Afdyce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT auto
Test drive on Wednesday.
These are such different cars! You sit higher in the Mustang and it is quite a heavy car with a lot more space inside. You will love the V8 and I would definitely go with the Magnaride. It is also a wider car that is more suited to Motorways and A roads. I'll bet you enjoy that test drive!

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
@Scylla welcome to the Pony car club!

My personal feedback is that the GT is a great car, but if you come to it from a sports car platform like a Porsche then you will NEED modifications from Steeda for the suspension, so you can have more fun and confidence in the handling. Stock the car isn't designed to be a sports car and i guarantee you will be sorely disappointed in the handling.

However the good news is that a very low spend will have that issue rapidly imp[roved and you can really get stuck into enjoying a characterful, fun, comfortable car with a soul and an amazing V8 engine!

I would recommend for you.
Steeda IRS Sport Linear Springs (or magneride compatible springs if you go for the mag car)
Steeda IRS Full pack.
Steeda Strut Tower Brace

As a starter position. You can then look to add a roll bar package and K brace, and possibly Steeda fixed / or adjustable shocks if you didn't get magneride. Power wisea Steeda intake coupled to a nice exhaust is a great start and you can remap it as well if comfortable with warranty commitment, but the reality is its the chassis and suspension that need immediate attention for someone like you,

Browse here: www.steeda.co.uk an feel free to contact me with any questions etc!

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
But, if you are after a GT car then you don't need to modify anything.

I'm buying my Mustang as an everyday car and keeping my Lotus for hooning

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
But, if you are after a GT car then you don't need to modify anything.

I'm buying my Mustang as an everyday car and keeping my Lotus for hooning
you must be new here....