Heavy NVH from new steeda shifter

Abomination

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Anyone have any experience with the steeda full shifter for the 2019 mustangs.

I got one and installed it, quite the job, but it has alot of noise. Sounds like really quick, almost hollow, rattle noise. Its really noticeable when I accelerate from too high of a gear (going slower than I should in 4th gear for example)

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't install the rubber shift boot. It said to stretch it over the square base in the end, but its not remotely possible. Using clamps and two strong guys, it wasn't going. I assumed they changed the design since the shifter came out (ford changed it I mean)

I can't see how that could cause such a high pitched rattle though. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have any experience with the steeda full shifter for the 2019 mustangs.

I got one and installed it, quite the job, but it has alot of noise. Sounds like really quick, almost hollow, rattle noise. Its really noticeable when I accelerate from too high of a gear (going slower than I should in 4th gear for example)

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't install the rubber shift boot. It said to stretch it over the square base in the end, but its not remotely possible. Using clamps and two strong guys, it wasn't going. I assumed they changed the design since the shifter came out (ford changed it I mean)

I can't see how that could cause such a high pitched rattle though. Any thoughts?
If you grab a hold of the reverse lockout, does the rattle go away?

OP
OP
Abomination

Abomination

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
No. But thanks for the suggestion. Its deeper in the car than that. When I accelerate from too high of a gear it's so loud you would think somethings going to break. Also, if I am getting on it and slip the clutch a bit, the rattle gets insane.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
What does Steeda tech support say?

OP
OP
Abomination

Abomination

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I've been too busy at work to call, I plan on it. Just wondering if someone here had any input

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Steeda shifter does not have any additional NVH then stock. Please reach out to Jamie on Tuesday @954-960-0774
Also, check all your fasteners under the car and that the shifter is aligned properly. Also,. make sure your rubber boot and dynamat is secured properly.

Steeda Tech

OP
OP
Abomination

Abomination

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The rubber boot is a hard rubber circle, the base of the steeda shifter is a square. No amount of stretching will get it over it, the rubbers too thick.

Thanks for the reply, I'll hit up Jamie on Tues.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
For a point of comparison - the Steeda Performance Vehicles we install the Tri-Ax on do not have NVH, including the Steve McQueen Edition Mustangs - Jamie will be a great source!

TJ

OP
OP
Abomination

Abomination

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Ok great, glad to hear it. Hopefully it's something simple!

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
The rubber boot is a hard rubber circle, the base of the steeda shifter is a square. No amount of stretching will get it over it, the rubbers too thick.

Thanks for the reply, I'll hit up Jamie on Tues.
After you have checked the install and make sure there is nothing loose, then I have a solution for you to quiet it down.
TJ is correct the nvh levels are same to stock, however when you are pushing the car then the NVH are slightly higher but nothing to be concerned about like in your matter.

Look at the photo I have posted. The yellow highlighted area has a white ring make sure that is in place or else you will hear somewhat buzzing noise, if that is there make sure the black collar is sitting properly. Once you have checked everything and it is all good, then follow the steps with the dynamat and lead sheets.

You have to purchase lead sheets and also get some dynamat.

I know this will sound excessive, but it actually made the noise much more quieter than stock and also the shifter “felt” stiffer in a way as well.

apply dynamat around the entire shifter as you see in the photo, than tightly mold the lead sheet around the dynamat, and then apply dynamat over the lead sheet and do this about 4x and your transmission noises will be completely dead quiet. Please be careful using lead and wear gloves.
84B1BC7E-4F69-465D-B078-1AD876B579FB.jpeg

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
After you have checked the install and make sure there is nothing loose, then I have a solution for you to quiet it down.
TJ is correct the nvh levels are same to stock, however when you are pushing the car then the NVH are slightly higher but nothing to be concerned about like in your matter.

Look at the photo I have posted. The yellow highlighted area has a white ring make sure that is in place or else you will hear somewhat buzzing noise, if that is there make sure the black collar is sitting properly. Once you have checked everything and it is all good, then follow the steps with the dynamat and lead sheets.

You have to purchase lead sheets and also get some dynamat.

I know this will sound excessive, but it actually made the noise much more quieter than stock and also the shifter “felt” stiffer in a way as well.

apply dynamat around the entire shifter as you see in the photo, than tightly mold the lead sheet around the dynamat, and then apply dynamat over the lead sheet and do this about 4x and your transmission noises will be completely dead quiet. Please be careful using lead and wear gloves.
84B1BC7E-4F69-465D-B078-1AD876B579FB.jpeg
And that’s exactly why I asked about grabbing the lockout. I did the exact same thing. The white collar had stuck itself into the boot on removal, fell out before install.
Hence, had no idea it existed until I found it on the ground...and the noise :facepalm:

OP
OP
Abomination

Abomination

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Hmm, I'll have to check that. I remember that piece but don't know if I put it in that spot. Where do you get the sheets of lead btw?

PUNISHER7772

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT PP
I like a lot of Steeda parts but back in the day (Fox body era) it was Pro 5.0 or MGW shifters. Now it seems MGW and Barton, I can't pull the trigger on a Steeda shifter, my buddy has one and still has shifting issues at higher rpm's. Maybe it's the MT-82/clutch but I can't pull the trigger on a Steeda shifter. TJ is a good guy and Steeda is a good company, hopefully someone at Steeda can give you the answer you need.

SrN95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Magnetic Metallic
Did you ever get a good resolution to this issue? I installed mine on Saturday (part number 555 7316) and now I'm having the exact same issues described in the OP. I'm really wishing I had just bought the entire Tri-Ax unit (555 7317), for the amount of headache the install was for just the lever. If I could return my 555 7316 and use it as credit towards the Tri-Ax kit I'd definitely do it, I think it's worth the extra money looking back.

My biggest gripe is the design change ford made regarding the rubber boot, and the fact that I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in Steeda's documentation or install videos. The listing shows it fitting ALL 2015-2020, and while it does work, it doesn't feel like it really "fits". Both the install videos from CJ Pony and Steeda show the old rubber boot design, no where did I see that Ford had changed that design until I'd already started tearing into it.

Let me know if you ever had any luck eliminating NVH after your install, I'm open to any ideas!
Sponsored