Sponsored

New Mods, fluid change, NVH

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
Seeking some input/help.
Yesterday I installed a barton ss, white line transmission bushing, changed my oil and tranny fluid. I used regular Motorcraft 5w20 and switched the tranny fluid to rp syncromax.
Last night when I finished, I took the car for a short drive, shifter feels alot different which was expected, springs need to break in. Just drove a few blocks to be sure the shifter engages gears blah blah blah.
So this morning, I start my car an engine is idling a bit higher than normal, I figure this is due to the fresh oil change, double check my oil and it's good to go. After car is warmed up idle resumes normal rpm. So I drive to the hardware store, I park and have my window down and can hear what sounds like my tranny. The sound was not there before. So I'm guessing, "okay it's still cold out, new fluid needs to warm up". I leave the hardware store and drive around normally til I see my oil pressure and temps at normal temps and pressure. When my car is fully warmed up, my oil pressure is between 40 and 60 psi when shifting and just above 20 psi at idle.
I reach those normal temps and normal psi.
So I go find an open road and do a few spirited pulls. The new shifter feels amazing over the stock set up. Crisper shifts, better engagement, no notchyness. Car feels good and seems to be pulling hard.
I return home under normal driving. When I pull up, my neighbor sees me and tells me to rev it up. So I do a slow 3k rev and feel this very noticeable vibration in the car. I slowly rev it 3-4 more times and the vibration is still there. I can feel it in my drivers seat. Wtf, kinda scared at this point. I don't want to explode my tranny.
Is this from the new white line trans bushing? I did not drill a hole in the center like I hear alot are doing to reduce nvh. The vibration is not really strong but I can feel it in my butt cheeks, lol. After a few more revs, it didn't seem as bad as the first few.
Not sure if it's from the new trans fluid, shifter, trans bushing combo. I just don't want to f my car up. Is this vibration normal?
When filling the tranny with new fluid, it would only take about 2 1/2 qts before it started dumping out the fill hole. I figured this was due to me being on only front jack stands and the car needs to be level for a proper fill. I am at the oil change spot to have them check my trans fluid level right now using there pit so my car is on level ground. I asked them to top it off if needed.
Sorry for the long post, I'm just concerned about my ride. My buddy's say it's all in my head and it's a mixture of the new bushing, fluid and shifter install, so the car feels aND sounds different because the solid shifter and bushing mounted to the trans as well as the clean fluids. But they have not felt the vibration I am feeling and don't believe it's in my head.
Anyone get the same things I got going on after tranny fluid swap, shifter and bushing install? Is this normal nvh with the bushing. Need some one to ease my nerves
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
Quick help question.
Guy at oil change place said I need at least another quart to top up my tranny. I used 3 qts already. Thought the factory fill is 2.7 quarts.
No one has rp syncromax, could I mix in so 75w 90 rp max gear with the syncromax or should I wait? I just need to be able to drive my car. Is this a retarded idea. Only thing I can find is max gear 75w90. Says it's safe for manual tranny but I believe it's a gear/different oil.
Help asap please

Edit:
Current tranny fluid level is about 1" below fill hole.
Edit2:
Gonna hold off on the max gear till I can get some more sychromax.
I feel like I'm really close to the level I need, can I drive my car or should I wait?

Last edited:

Five0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium
Do you have any pepboys around you? They should have royal purple synchromax

OP
OP

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
No pep boys. There is a place down the street (car quest) but they are closed today. I kept the rpm's down and limped it home until tomorrow when I can get my hands on another quart of the syncromaxx. I don't want to mix the fluids or blow up my tranny. Crazy thing is it has 3 qts in minus a lil bit of spillage from yesterday but not more than a 1/4 qt was lost. Thought the fill oly called for 2qts.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Pull out the white line transmission bushing and see what happens. That thing is supposed to transfer all kinds of NVH through the floor boards of the car.

Fluid being a little low (or even wrong type) will not cause your vibration problems unless it has caused permanent damage to the components already.

Sponsored

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Try drilling a hole in the bottom of the transmission bushing. There are several videos.

Iceman2733

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Do not put more fluid the recommended by ford!!!

I also ran a Bushing and I can say it did feel more vibration and noise. Take it out and see how it does.

I would not just go and add fluid if you are sure you put the correct amount in the transmission.

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
That Whiteline bushing made my 12 GT vibrate like mad even with the hole cut out. It works great but the NVH was bad. I removed it after a week. Gonna get a Steeda version and see if it as bad in my 15

OP
OP

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
I got side tracked when I got home and then passed put watching nascar and football. It's going to be dark in 30 mins.
I think I'm gonna pull the trans bushing and drill the hole in the middle.
As far as the trans fluid goes, I bought 3qts. All three quarts went in the car. I only have 2 jack stands and no ramps. I had the front end lifted and was only able to get 2 1/2 quarts in before it started coming out the fill hole. I then gave it 3 quick pumps then threw the plug back on as quickly as possible. I lost maybe a quarter cup of that when it was coming out the fill hole. Covered half my arm. Lol.
After the test drive in the morning and feeling the vibration I became concerned about the fluid level and limped over to the local oil change spot. I had about 3\8th of a quart left in the final bottle and brought it with me. I talked to the guy and asked if he could check the transmission level and if needed to fill with the rest of what I had left in the bottle I brought with me. He end up putting all of it in and then tells me I need another quart.
I tell the guy he's crazy and that it should only take 2.7 quarts and the rest of the bottle that he put in was quart number 3. So he then says I am may a half quart low. So I'm like okay well let me see if I can get another bottle to be safe. I drive about three blocks and see the place that I know has some is closed on sunday, fml. So in a frenzy I stop at all 3 local auto stores that are open and no one has syncromaxx. I ended up getting a bottle of 75w 90 max gear oil by rp in hopes that I can just top off my tranny fluid.
After kinda stressing about the whole ordeal and talking with some buddies and checking here on m6g. I decided I was going to wait until I can get a bottle of syncromaxx and not use the max gear oil. I'd rather not mix any fluids and chance shit going wrong.
So I swing by the oil changer shop to let the guy know "hey I can't get the right oil for the trans until tomorrow at earliest". He was like oh, well yeah its not wise to mix fluids and I agreed. He then comes out with some ac Delco syncromesh and was like I can top it off with this. I was shocked and told him I was good and no thanks and that it was not even the right trans fluid for my car. He said you just put some in, I was like no..... that was syncroMaxx by royal purple and we just talked about mixing fluids, wtf. So I then ask him what the level of my trans fluid was at. He said it was 1/2" -1" below fill hole and that he guesstimated that with his finger. So I'm thinking I'm just a hair low. Shooting for about a half inch below fill hole. I drove home and kept the rpm's low and parked it. I'm going to take the wife's truck to work tomorrow until I can be sure I have enough fluid in my tranny. I have a feeling the level is fine bease all 3 qts went in but I need to be sure just to ease my mind. I'm gonna get another bottle on the way home and see if I can enter the pit myself to check the levels.
For those who have filled there trannys themselves How much under the fill hole should I be shooting for? 1/2" -1"? Or all the way until it pours out?
Thanks for everyone's replys. I've been mini stressed about the situation. Shifter feels pretty nice though :)

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
You should have enough fluid in the transmission. I had 3qts of RP when I change the fluid and I filled mine up with no problem. I wouldn't let that guy touch my car again lol.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
You should have enough fluid in the transmission. I had 3qts of RP when I change the fluid and I filled mine up with no problem. I wouldn't let that guy touch my car again lol.
I hear you on the him touching my car. How hard can it be though to check the fluid level? Esp when you do it for a living. I may just go get some ramps or another set of jack stands and do it myself. I've been thinking about making some custom ramps out of wood. I had a buddy back in the day when we had lowered trucks that made a set and they were sweet.
I'm sure my fluid level is close as all 3 qts went in minus 1/4 cup (max), that leaked out of fill hole due to the car not being level. I just want to be sure. Tomorrow afternoon if I have time before dark, I'm going to pull the white line bushing and drill, and do some test revs, with and wth out and with a hole drilled.
Is the steeda bushing made out of a softer material than the whiteline? I thought they were basically identical with maybe a different edge or something for patent reasons but basically the same w/ different name.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
The bushings are probably similar material. Putting a hole in the bottom of it should help. I believe that I used a 3/4 hole saw for my drill.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Tomorrow afternoon if I have time before dark, I'm going to pull the white line bushing and drill, and do some test revs, with and wth out and with a hole drilled.
Is the steeda bushing made out of a softer material than the whiteline? I thought they were basically identical with maybe a different edge or something for patent reasons but basically the same w/ different name.
I can tell you that our Steeda Transmission Mount Bushing Insert is made in the USA.

Also, the durometer of our bushing is 70 - this helps to minimize NVH while still providing increased performance. We tested several different durometers and we found the durometer of 70 combined with how snug ours fills the void provides the best shifting performance. As others have mentioned, drilling a hole in the center will minimize about 90% of the NVH you would experience.
Sponsored