Sponsored

Headliner separation at side window rubber.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
My '23 Mach 1 headliner is separating from the side window rubber on both sides. If I tuck it back in it just drops back out in a few minutes.

A Google search reveals this has been a thing on the S550 for years and there was a TSB for it early on. I can't believe this is still happening on a 2023. 🤦‍♂️

Anyway, from what I read the issue is with the rubber molding and not the headliner itself. There must be a simple fix for this that doesn't require a warranty job from the dealer. Can anyone share what they did to keep the headliner tucked in the rubber molding? Thanks!
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Take a credit card and wedge it between the rubber gasket and headliner.

- Lift on the card so that the headliner is being pushed upward towards roof and the rubber door gasket is being stretched over the headliner edge (like it's supposed to be installed).

- After the gasket is situated over the headliner edge and you can't see the edge any more, take a rubber mallet and tap the door gasket from the B-pillar all the way around to the A-pillar. You want to do even but semi-hard taps so that the gasket is being pushed onto the door frame edge and so it also overlaps better onto the headliner.

Repeat the above on the opposite side of the car too, even if the headliner was not exposed.

I had to do that above technique to my prior 2016 and it fixed the headliner concern. This was well before any Ford TSB was released.

OP
OP
AZ_Ryan

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Take a credit card and wedge it between the rubber gasket and headliner.

- Lift on the card so that the headliner is being pushed upward towards roof and the rubber door gasket is being stretched over the headliner edge (like it's supposed to be installed).

- After the gasket is situated over the headliner edge and you can't see the edge any more, take a rubber mallet and tap the door gasket from the B-pillar all the way around to the A-pillar. You want to do even but semi-hard taps so that the gasket is being pushed onto the door frame edge and so it also overlaps better onto the headliner.

Repeat the above on the opposite side of the car too, even if the headliner was not exposed.

I had to do that above technique to my prior 2016 and it fixed the headliner concern. This was well before any Ford TSB was released.
Thanks. What part of the gasket are you using the mallet on? The soft part under the hard upper edge, or the whole thing? It appears to be one piece unless I'm mistaken.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thanks. What part of the gasket are you using the mallet on? The soft part under the hard upper edge, or the whole thing? It appears to be one piece unless I'm mistaken.
Yes, it’s a one piece design. It’s pressure fitted to the body shell/ridge around the door opening.

You want to use the rubber mallet and just tap where you can feel the gasket is pressed onto that ridge, not the soft side that touches the headliner in the interior. So if you’re standing at either door opening, after you have worked the gasket back onto and over the headliner edge, just go around the entire upper door frame tapping the gasket. This forces the gasket onto the body shell ridge with a better and stronger grip. You should see the gasket move slightly as you’re tapping it.

Again, do not pound or hit hard, you’re just going around the gasket evenly and tapping it.

In my opinion, I don’t think the gasket is being installed correctly on the line. Not sure if a person installs it or an automated Bot, but it’s not being secured to the body 100%. I know on my prior 2016, I had the same issue where the driver side headliner edge was exposed and outside of the gasket. Once I did the above technique to the driver side, I didn’t have any further headliner issues. I repeated the same process on the passenger side too. I also noticed that the windows sealed better too.

On my 2018, I didn’t have any headliner issues, but did the same technique and did note that gaskets were still not installed “all the way” onto the body shell ridge.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AZ_Ryan

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Just a quick update with pictures.

I unsuccessfully tried numerous times to get the headliner to stay using a mallet and tapping the seal into place.

So today a mobile tech came to my house and did the TSB. It only took him 45 min to replace both sides. The issue is the metal bracket BEHIND the rubber window seal (see 2nd and 3rd pics). I didn't realize they were two separate pieces. Hopefully this fixes the issue.
20240322_135028.jpg

20240322_135103.jpg

20240322_135407.jpg

20240322_135420.jpg
Sponsored