Sponsored

Headers worth the money for daily driver on e85?

SAS2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt
I have a 2018 Gt with the 10 speed. Current mods are only steeda axle back and Magnaflow tru x resonator. I’m planning on getting the Lund e85r and flex tune. Would it be worth the extra $1000+ to install catted headers? My main concern is the Magnaflow tru x restricting flow enough to make headers not worth it. How much WHP gains can I expect on e85 with and without catted LTH. Again, my main concern would be the Tru X because I heard it’s a smaller pipe. I also plan on not installing a CAI because from what I’ve read on here, it’s not really worth it. Any opinions welcome as I don’t know much. Thanks
Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Worth it is something you must decide on your own. LTH will gain power. Especially if catless. Cat deletes will come very close without the cost or headache of install.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Definitely recommend the lth if it's in budget on top of the e85 / flex. The power increase is there. I run a similar setup up on my 18gt with OEM cai and its healthy for NA.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Headers make power, so yes they are worth it, even more power catless..

Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, after installing LT's, I didn't find them worth it and re-installed my factory headers. It certainly made a moderate difference up top but I just didn't spend alot of time in the upper part of the power band and it seemed to lose a bit of low end torque and throttle response. If you want to get everything you can out of your combo, then you have to do LT's.

Last edited:

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Worth it... And the Tru X does not restrict one bit!!!! You will be glad you have it after LTH. I love the stainless power ones I installed (catless). Perfect

Last edited:

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I have a 2018 Gt with the 10 speed. Current mods are only steeda axle back and Magnaflow tru x resonator. I’m planning on getting the Lund e85r and flex tune. Would it be worth the extra $1000+ to install catted headers? My main concern is the Magnaflow tru x restricting flow enough to make headers not worth it. How much WHP gains can I expect on e85 with and without catted LTH. Again, my main concern would be the Tru X because I heard it’s a smaller pipe. I also plan on not installing a CAI because from what I’ve read on here, it’s not really worth it. Any opinions welcome as I don’t know much. Thanks
If you're going to run your car on E85 I recommend going catless. You'll see more gains by running catless vs catted. Take a gander at what we have here at www.lethalperformance.com and message me if you have any questions.

1badrz28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'll get more benefit from a torque converter at around the same cost of a good set of headers and the install is pretty straight forward. My 17 year old daughter drives my Mustang around with the 5C and she knows no difference from how it drove before the install. The ET gains aren't even in the same ballpark as from headers.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Go offroad if you can. I would say if you are going headers and E85 then a cai would make a difference to justify the cost.

50Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Corsair & 1990 Mustang GT. 2019 Mustang GT PP2 (Sold), 2019 Lincoln MKZ (Sold), 2017 Mustang GT PP (Sold), 2009 Civic Si (Sold)
I personally went cat delete versus LTH because of costs. Running PBD E85R w/ stock CAI and a green filter.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Longtubes are definitely worth it on a 2018+ especially when paired with a Lund Racing E85 tune. Catted setups will yield less gains than an offroad setup.

We picked up some awesome HP gains with the headers and some really good ET's at the track with them. Here's a breakdown of our build which lays it all out.

We've got some sick deals on LT's right now and can also hook you up with a Lund Racing Ngauge tune combo so give us a shout if you have any questions and we'll be glad to assist you.

GM-Numbers-Whipple-864.jpg

OP
OP

SAS2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt
Thanks for all the replies! Unfortunately I may not be doing any of this, for now. I changed he oil yesterday and when I started the car up I heard the typewriter tick clear as day. I wasn’t even paying attention for it but I knew what it was straight away. Going to wait to see how this progresses before I go and void the warranty on the engine.

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
Longtubes are definitely worth it on a 2018+ especially when paired with a Lund Racing E85 tune. Catted setups will yield less gains than an offroad setup.

We picked up some awesome HP gains with the headers and some really good ET's at the track with them. Here's a breakdown of our build which lays it all out.

We've got some sick deals on LT's right now and can also hook you up with a Lund Racing Ngauge tune combo so give us a shout if you have any questions and we'll be glad to assist you.

GM-Numbers-Whipple-864.jpg
So the LTH are only worth 15 hp and 0.2 s in the 1/4? Seems not very cost effective.
Sponsored