Head gasket help/advice

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
So I blew a head gasket and I have a couple questions for guys that have swapped gaskets before.

1. How “perfect” does the surface need to be? I’ve check for flatness and it’s as close to perfect as you can get but where the old leak was I noticed some very slight etching. Not enough to catch a fingernail.. just enough to knock down the sheen of the original milling.(mill marks are still very visible)
Also, I used a plastic scraper for about .5 seconds and realized it had some glass fiber in it and it slightly scratched the surface. Again, no where near enough to catch a nail but visible under the right lighting.

2. Has anyone used the Felpro gasket?
I am most likely gonna just put a stock one back on but if the felpro seals just as good and is a little more forgiving, I might go that way.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Have you check the head, that will the most important. Motor over heat ?

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Yes head is perfectly flat. No overheating at all. Just a small leak between water jacket and cylinder. Lucky or unlucky depending on how you look at it.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Using a good flat edge, (machinist square) Place across the area, using a feeler gauge see if there is any measurable gap or not . I see "pro-charger'" could require a different level of head gasket.

Felpro is ok for stock motor but the pro-charger needs to be considered.

Seek advice from an engine builder .

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Using a good flat edge, (machinist square) Place across the area, using a feeler gauge see if there is any measurable gap or not . I see "pro-charger'" could require a different level of head gasket.

Felpro is ok for stock motor but the pro-charger needs to be considered.

Seek advice from an engine builder .
Thanks.. yeah already checked for flatness. All good there. I’m trying to figure out surface finish requirements

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have any experience with the mmr pro boost gaskets?

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Haha you sound like my dad.
“It’s not that fussy” is his favorite line.

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
So I blew a head gasket and I have a couple questions for guys that have swapped gaskets before.

1. How “perfect” does the surface need to be? I’ve check for flatness and it’s as close to perfect as you can get but where the old leak was I noticed some very slight etching. Not enough to catch a fingernail.. just enough to knock down the sheen of the original milling.(mill marks are still very visible)
Also, I used a plastic scraper for about .5 seconds and realized it had some glass fiber in it and it slightly scratched the surface. Again, no where near enough to catch a nail but visible under the right lighting.

2. Has anyone used the Felpro gasket?
I am most likely gonna just put a stock one back on but if the felpro seals just as good and is a little more forgiving, I might go that way.

Thanks!
Whats your setup? Stock block, turbos, supercharger?

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
As long as the surface is clean and flat, that's it. No mirror sheen required. The gasket itself will soak up the minor imperfections when it gets torqued down. I'd personally only use the OEM gasket. Sounds like there was some contamination when it was laid down in the factory, or the gasket itself was faulty.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
A stock or felpro gasket is fine. Spray both sides with spray copper coat and use head studs. I use Ford or cometic

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
A stock or felpro gasket is fine. Spray both sides with spray copper coat and use head studs. I use Ford or cometic
I’ve seen a lot of your posts, obviously you know what you’re talking about. Curious though...I’ve always heard not to use spray coatings unless the gasket manufacturer recommends it.
So in your experience, you would say the spray is a good idea/necessary? Does it simply help it seal better...more forgiving of imperfections?

Thanks for the help!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I’ve seen a lot of your posts, obviously you know what you’re talking about. Curious though...I’ve always heard not to use spray coatings unless the gasket manufacturer recommends it.
So in your experience, you would say the spray is a good idea/necessary? Does it simply help it seal better...more forgiving of imperfections?

Thanks for the help!
You are correct, I wouldn't use it on a modern head gasket. It doesn't mean he's wrong though, lots of people still do it, even on high HP builds. I doubt it really hurts anything.

Usually the reason to use that copper spray is if you're re-using a head gasket with new heads because you didn't have time/couldn't find a replacement. Then it definitely helps the old gasket conform to the new head better.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
pics help..
I would upgrade to an MLS type gasket if possible on any power adder engine.
Sponsored